Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Canon files problem

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dan MyersCanon files problem
by on Jul 16, 2012 at 9:25:47 pm

Hi all,

Have a buddy who is having trouble with Canon MOV files. His solution is below but we are looking for a better way.

"Something is odd about these .MOV files from canon (my camera is 5D Mark II). The problem is documented on internet but I have not found any solution except to convert each separate clip to WMV using Windows Live Movie Maker and then I can use them with any editing software. This is VERY time consuming. The WMV render seems to take the longest time and I cannot “batch” convert them."

Any experience/ideas/solutions for this problem? Please let me know.

Thanks. Dan.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shoestring VideosRe: Canon files problem
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 3:02:26 am

I could be wrong but I thought 5DII shot AVCHD and when imported onto a windows system would create MTS files.

Sounds like your files were imported via a Apple system and converted to Prores or some other apple codec in a mov container that Sony Vegas isnt loving

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Canon files problem
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 7:02:31 am

As Shoestring mentioned, where/how were those files
derived at?

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave HaynieRe: Canon files problem
by on Jul 22, 2012 at 4:04:21 am

[Shoestring Videos] "I could be wrong but I thought 5DII shot AVCHD and when imported onto a windows system would create MTS files."

Nope. Canon video is not AVCHD compliant. It's AVC + PCM audio in a Quicktime wrapper.. that's the format recorded to the SD card. That's 44Mb/s AVC, I/P frame only... some of the newer models can also do an AVC Intra (I-Frame only) up at 100-something-Mb/s. That's on the MkIII, but not the MkII.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob DixRe: Canon files problem
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 12:37:22 pm

Hi Dan,

I have been Importing Canon 5d Mark II h.264 mov codec clips @ 1920 x 1080p directly into the project window in Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11 and tested on Pro 11 the same thing ; and they open up by dragging into timeline, you do not need to do anything, no conversion as previously. Make sure you have all upgrades.
It is in fact faster than Adobe CS5.5.2 Premiere Pro with an XEON Quad Core Processor i7 64 bit running a Nvidia Quadro FX3800 Graphics card.

We have done about 50 Exports to Blu-ray @ 35mbps 1920 x 1080p and Pro tape @ 25 mbps 1080 x 1440 HDV/mpeg-2 (anamorphic) with no issues with original footage from the Canon. The video stabilizer is amazing and so is the quality.

Good luck !

We are PAL at 25fps, it is broadcast high definition.
Make sure you have installed Quicktime 7.6.6 software for the Quicktime features which should work the H.264mov files.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob PetersonRe: Canon files problem
by on Jul 17, 2012 at 3:16:23 pm

I use Windows Explorer to copy these files from the camera's CF card to my hard drive. They arrive as .MOV files, and I simply import them into SVP 11. I can then begin editing them without any need to do conversions. There is also a .THM file for each .MOV file. I keep these, but do not use them. I'm running Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave HaynieRe: Canon files problem
by on Jul 22, 2012 at 4:02:15 am

I use a Canon 60D, which, like all of the Canons (up until this year, anyway) records in the same format.

Canon shoot AVC at 44Mb/s and store in an Apple Quicktime file, that's the .mov file you see there. The only weirdness is actually working in most users' favor -- it's I/P Frame only AVC, not I/P/B, so it's a bit easier for the camera to decode.

You need the latest Apple Quicktime installed on your PC to read these in programs like Vegas. You didn't mention the NLE/version he's using, so that's my initial guess. Older versions of most any NLE will probably have some issue with some kind of MP4/AVC video file... could be he's just "lucky".

And, well... rendering through WMV is the absolute worst possible solution. The WMV file wrapper is very much not intended for editing, and the WMV9 video format is inferior to AVC at the same bitrate. Plus, in re-rendering it, he's needlessly adding compression artifacts, crapifying the video. And wasting time.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]