Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Best fromat to Pre-Render, then work with

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Sam CainoBest fromat to Pre-Render, then work with
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 4:09:56 pm

I have been searching the forum for a topic that I have seen before here, yet I can't find it.

I seem to remember that a lot of people here have a preferred file format they like to convert their raw footage to before editing, to optimize performance.

I am asking this question for a friend, who's raw footage is a 1.5hr .mpg2. His video preview is stalling to the point that it is unusable.

I believe the format often mentioned is of the uncompressed variety. What working format do you folks like to pre-render to, then work with? What program should I use to convert to this format?

In the meantime, I am going to recommend my friend use the no-compression render to break up this large file, see how that works.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Best fromat to Pre-Render, then work with
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 7:47:20 pm

[Sam Caino] "In the meantime, I am going to recommend my friend use the no-compression render to break up this large file, see how that works."
I would not work with uncompressed video unless you have a RAID to deal with the throughput of the incredibly large files it will produce.

A good intermediary codec for the PC is CineForm. It edits easily in Vegas. Of course, CineForm is not free but it's well worth the money. If your friend is looking for a free solution then Avid DNxHD is a good QuickTime solution that has the added advantage that it is portable across PC and Mac. Sony MXF is also another format that edits easily in Vegas.

Having said all that... MPEG2 should edit easily in Vegas as well so maybe his computer isn't up to the task?

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Sam CainoRe: Best fromat to Pre-Render, then work with
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 11:46:33 pm

Thanks for the info, John. That is exactly what I was looking for.

I was surprised that .mpg2 wasn't working for him either. At this point, we are thinking the file is corrupt about 1hr in.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]