Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Vegas 11 64-bit crashed repeatedly, when start playing from timeline

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dag HalvorsenVegas 11 64-bit crashed repeatedly, when start playing from timeline
by on May 22, 2012 at 3:50:42 pm

My Vegas 11 constantly crashes (every 5 minutes) when starting preview from timeline (pressing spacebar). I've tried to update the NVIDIA drivers to the last official version, with little or no improvement.
I've tried to run the vegas program in Vista compatibility mode, with some improvement, but not much.
I tried to uninstall ProTitler, disable second monitor, disable Cuda acceleration, run Vegas in Vista compatibility mode, etc....no result at all.

I loose so much work for each of those frequent crashes, that it doesn't make sense to continue editing anymore. What should I do? Get my money back, and buy Vegas 10? 9? Would it help? When I had Vegas 8, it was stable.

I use a Intel i7-3930K 6-core 3,2MHz, 32GB RAM, SSD for programs and regular 500GB disc for clip files, NVIDIA GTX570 Cuda (enabled in Vegas) , win7-64bit.

Please help! I wanna continue using my favourite editing software, which is now not possible.

UPDATED INFO
In fact, after just opening the project, preview works flawlessly. After a couple of minor edits, preview crashes soon. The same with rendering the project: After opening the project, it renders without any problem. If a make any change to the project (even if I save the changes), also rendering crashes (after few seconds).

I'm reluctand to install Vegas 32-bit, because I want the extra memory from 64-bit. My project consists of 3-4 hundred clips, in full HD, and it sucks up a lot of memory.
Is 32-bit really the only workaround?

br Dag Halvorsen, Norway

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Vegas 11 64-bit crashed repeatedly, when start playing from timeline
by on May 22, 2012 at 7:37:55 pm

I still use Vegas 10.0e Dag, I dont use Vegas 11, There is no
crime going back to what worked well.
Use Vegas 10 0r 9 so you can get your work done.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Dag HalvorsenRe: Vegas 11 64-bit crashed repeatedly, when start playing from timeline
by on May 22, 2012 at 7:47:46 pm

Steve, Thanks for good advice! A couple of questions (since I jumped from 8 to 11):
1) How do I install 10, when already installed 11? Can I use the same serial#? Can I have both installed at the same time?
2) Does the 10 have GPU acceleration option? (It's basically the only thing I missed in 8...).

Thanks Steve!

Some additional info on the bug:
It happens regardless of where on the timeline I put the cursor, but only when I press spacebar to START preview (and on some very rare occasion also when I press spacebar to STOP preview).
And yes, it seems to come more often if I press spacebar rather quickly after placing the cursor on the timeline, than if I wait a little, but still, it happens at least once every 10 minutes of editing (once every 20-30 times I press spacebar). If I open a project and don't edit anything, I can star/stop playing and move around with the cursor many more times, maybe 100 times or more, before it crashes.
Even rendering audio only, lead to immediate crash, since I had done a couple of edits before rendering. Opening the project again and rendering immediately, went well without crash.
I really feel that this has nothing to do with graphic card at all (since it crashed even when rendering audio only). I tried changing audio device type (in prefs) from Microsoft Sound Mapper to Windows Classic Wave Driver. I feel it may have helped somewhat, but again, it crashed eventually, and it's very difficult to tell if the crash probability/frequence was reduced or not. I have sent (from Vegas) at least 40-50 crash reports to Sony, but no response there, no response here, and no response in any other forum (MANY people have different kinds of crash problems with Vegas, one of them being instant crash when using GPU accelerated FX/transitions, which (of course) also I have...).
Anyone who could help out, would be VERY much appreciated!! :)

br Dag Halvorsen, Norway

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Vegas 11 64-bit crashed repeatedly, when start playing from timeline
by on May 22, 2012 at 8:10:35 pm

Just install whichever version as usual, you can easily have
more than one version of Vegas installed, using whenever you want.

No, the same serial wont work, Vegas 10 is a different purchase.

Vegas 10 does not have full capable GPU support, that's a big part
as to what leads to Vegas 11 instability.(Takes a lot of rewriting
of the Vegas software
). Some users get better results disabling the GPU in vegas 11.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Stephen CryeRe: Vegas 11 64-bit crashed repeatedly, when start playing from timeline
by on May 24, 2012 at 5:37:53 am

Does the crash reporter kick in? Always send the info back to Sony.

What build are you using?

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400, MultiTB SATA, 8GB RAM, nVidia FX 570, Vegas 10e (and 11) x64 DVDA 5.2(build 133) Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nigel O'NeillRe: Vegas 11 64-bit crashed repeatedly, when start playing from timeline
by on May 24, 2012 at 3:02:44 am

Under preferences for Audio Device, DESELECT Enable Track Buffering

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 10e (x32/x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Dag HalvorsenRe: Vegas 11 64-bit crashed repeatedly, when start playing from timeline
by on May 24, 2012 at 4:09:24 pm

Stephen: The crash reporter always kicks in. So often, that it gives me nightmares...
I use the latest SVP 11 (build 683 I believe), downloaded only 3-4 weeks ago.

Nigel: Thanks! Sounds absolutely relevant, except that it hangs also when rendering audio (where this setting maybe is not in use?).
I'll try it out tonight! :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 27, 2012 at 11:03:12 am

Nigel: You solved my problem!!!

After 2 weeks of constant search for a solution to this proble, which was so serious that editing was almost impossible, I have finally edited for 2 hours without any problem. I actually "feel" the difference: The slight latency after pressing space bar until the preview starts, is gone. SVP never hangs anymore! JIPPY!! :) :)

Thank you all for your valuable contributions to solve this problem. I appreciate every one of them very much!

Conclusion:
DISABLE TRACK BUFFERING IN VEGAS 11pro! Made my day! :)

br Dag Halvorsen, Norway

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 28, 2012 at 2:58:04 pm

One more problem (seems like Vegas 11 suffers many different bugs?):

After I've put some 200 clips on the timeline, Vegas starts to crash, again. It always crashes when starting or stopping playing the timeline. The above mentioned fix, helped a lot: No crashes at all, until the number of clips on the timeline reached 150-200 or more. Why?
Some guy told me that Vegas has a certain memory dedicated for buffering long GOP's on the timeline, and if this memory is full, it starts crashing. What do you think, guys?

br Dag Halvorsen, Norway

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 2, 2012 at 3:22:41 pm

Jim Schuchmann wrote:
Dag, I may have found the answer to our problem with very frequent crashing on playback.

When I checked the Detail Report for the crash it listed an "Unmanaged Exception 0xc0000005"

So I did a search to see if anyone else had this and what they found.

From the Sony Vegas forum:
"This may not help in your situation but it helped me with my weird Vegas 10d crashes.

Do a Vegas "reset to default values"

Close the program. Now press CTRL+SHIFT while double-clicking on the program's icon to launch it. Continue to hold the CTRL & SHIFT keys until the program is fully up and loaded.

In newer programs, you will see a window that asks "Do you want to reset all preferences to default values?" Place a checkmark next to "Delete all cached application data" and then click Yes."

I tried it and so far so good!!

Just remember to check all of your preferences as they will be reset to default values.

Hope it helps.
UNQUOTE

Hello Jim!
YES! YES! YES!!!!!
Thank you soooooo much, Jim!

It works!!! After resetting all parameters and deleting all cached application data as you described, it's been rock stable, even on the big project with hundreds of clips!

I have to admit, I was quite sceptic to this procedure, but it turned out to be THE fix for me!

Thank you all for all your valuable input. Without them, I would probably have stopped using Vegas at this moment. Now I'm "back in business" and enjoy editing a lot :)

br Dag Halvorsen, Norway

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]