I've been working on a program and now it totally locks up all the time at no particular spot.
I have to do a ctrl/alt/del to shut it down.
I get a messages saying, "A background operation is currently in progress. Vegas cannot shut down until this operation is complete".
Any clues as to what might be going on? I've got days in on this edit!
I was wrong on the first look, there is only one instance of Vegas running. The PID (Process ID) would be different if there were more than one.
You can try ending the the lowest process in the list. This is likely the one holding up your program and causing it to freeze. Tick on the box next to this process, click End Process, and your locked-up program may be brought back to life.
Re: Lock up by Tyson Onaga on May 8, 2012 at 7:31:49 pm
You could also use Process Explorer. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653
1. Quit Vegas, all instances
2. Run Process Explorer
3. Click on the Process column until it looks like a tree
4. Search for "vegas###.exe"
5. Each instance should have three children: ErrorReportLauncher, FileIOSurrogate, and sfvstserver
If you have an instance of Vegas here and you don't see it in the Windows UI, it is probably hung. Kill it with R-Click, Kill Process.
Additionally, sort the view by Company Name. If there are no instances of Vegas, then there should be no entries by Sony Creative Software Inc. I've had occassions where FileIOSurrogate or ErrorReportLauncher is hanging around but there is no "owning" veags###.exe in the list. Kill Process seems to work fine (kill them, then relaunch Vegas).
You can see all the threads via: select the Vegas instance, R-Click, Properties, Threads (tab).
FYI, with Vegas 10, a .veg file opened, 1 jpg in the Media Pool, 1 jpg in the timeline on a muted video track ... Process Explorer shows over 30 threads "owned" by Vegas.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Nothing seemed to work however. It was over a year ago that I formatted my HD so I figured it might be time for a clean sweep.
So far everything seems to be working. I'll keep hoping it stays that way.