Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Lock up

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Roger BansemerLock up
by on May 8, 2012 at 1:51:09 pm

I've been working on a program and now it totally locks up all the time at no particular spot.
I have to do a ctrl/alt/del to shut it down.
I get a messages saying, "A background operation is currently in progress. Vegas cannot shut down until this operation is complete".

Any clues as to what might be going on? I've got days in on this edit!
Thanks
Roger

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen MannRe: Lock up
by on May 8, 2012 at 4:21:47 pm

Go to start/run and enter "resmon". In the overview tab, right click on Vegas110.exe, then click on "Aalyze Wait Chain"

This will tell you what background processes that Vegas is waiting for.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roger BansemerRe: Lock up
by on May 8, 2012 at 5:01:39 pm

Here is what it came up with.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 8, 2012 at 5:25:47 pm

How many instances of Vegas are you running? This looks like two.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 8, 2012 at 6:03:52 pm

Just running one instance of Vegas.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 8, 2012 at 6:10:59 pm

Just ran it again and it looks like 4 instances but only one is running.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 8, 2012 at 6:41:41 pm

I just opened the project again and ran "resmon" while the project was still running and I see that there are now EIGHT threads running.

I let it the project run a minute or two, checked it again and no threads were running.

Then the project hung up. Checked threads and it simply said "Vegas100.exe is not responding" A moment later I checked again and it had it had 5 threads running. It can't make up it's mind.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 8, 2012 at 6:58:49 pm

I was wrong on the first look, there is only one instance of Vegas running. The PID (Process ID) would be different if there were more than one.

You can try ending the the lowest process in the list. This is likely the one holding up your program and causing it to freeze. Tick on the box next to this process, click End Process, and your locked-up program may be brought back to life.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tyson OnagaRe: Lock up
by on May 8, 2012 at 7:31:49 pm

You could also use Process Explorer.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

1. Quit Vegas, all instances
2. Run Process Explorer
3. Click on the Process column until it looks like a tree
4. Search for "vegas###.exe"
5. Each instance should have three children: ErrorReportLauncher, FileIOSurrogate, and sfvstserver

If you have an instance of Vegas here and you don't see it in the Windows UI, it is probably hung. Kill it with R-Click, Kill Process.

Additionally, sort the view by Company Name. If there are no instances of Vegas, then there should be no entries by Sony Creative Software Inc. I've had occassions where FileIOSurrogate or ErrorReportLauncher is hanging around but there is no "owning" veags###.exe in the list. Kill Process seems to work fine (kill them, then relaunch Vegas).

You can see all the threads via: select the Vegas instance, R-Click, Properties, Threads (tab).

FYI, with Vegas 10, a .veg file opened, 1 jpg in the Media Pool, 1 jpg in the timeline on a muted video track ... Process Explorer shows over 30 threads "owned" by Vegas.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lex gernaleRe: Lock up
by on May 9, 2012 at 10:20:56 am

this happened to me. i just open task manager, kill the process FILEIOSurrogate.exe and vegas application. launch again vegas pro and it opens again normally.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 10, 2012 at 10:57:21 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Nothing seemed to work however. It was over a year ago that I formatted my HD so I figured it might be time for a clean sweep.
So far everything seems to be working. I'll keep hoping it stays that way.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]