Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Can Vegas recognize 720x480 WIDESCREEN video?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Robert ReisterCan Vegas recognize 720x480 WIDESCREEN video?
by on May 1, 2012 at 7:22:52 pm

A client brought in footage he shot with a JVC consumer camera that shoots at 720X480, but stretches it to widescreen perspective. No matter what I do, I can not get a Vegas (both 10 and 11) project to recognize and stretch it. I choose 720X480 widescreen, but in the preview panel, I get a squished looking 1:1 pixel display with black bars on the left and right side.

Is there anyway to get this to work and render this back out as widescreen? I tried the "adjust video to fit" option and still no go.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Can Vegas recognize 720x480 WIDESCREEN video?
by on May 1, 2012 at 7:42:42 pm

Did you set your project properties to DV widescreen?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert ReisterRe: Can Vegas recognize 720x480 WIDESCREEN video?
by on May 1, 2012 at 8:38:37 pm

Yes, I set the project properties to widescreen, the preview panel is widescreen, and yet the video plays squished (as a normal 720x480).

Is there anyway to stretch it to normal perspective (widescreen) if I can't get Vegas to recognize it as widescreen?

I posted a very short clip if you want to test... its at http://www.fasttrax.us/gallery/widescreentest1.mod

I've set my project to widescreen and imported different ways, but it always shows up here scrunched up and doesn't preview widescreen.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen MannRe: Can Vegas recognize 720x480 WIDESCREEN video?
by on May 1, 2012 at 9:07:44 pm

Your website doesn't work here on any browser.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Can Vegas recognize 720x480 WIDESCREEN video?
by on May 2, 2012 at 12:17:58 am

Robert, as Steve said, that link doesn't work.
My guess is that your client's camcorder shoots pseudo-widescreen (i.e. it crops the top and bottom of the image to fake it).
One way to be sure is to match the settings of the source file using the Match Media Settings icon in your project properties.
If that doesn't say widescreen, then it isn't.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave HaynieRe: Can Vegas recognize 720x480 WIDESCREEN video?
by on May 2, 2012 at 4:49:06 am

[Robert Reister] "Yes, I set the project properties to widescreen, the preview panel is widescreen, and yet the video plays squished (as a normal 720x480). "

If you're seeing the video playing full height, but horizontally "squished", it sounds as if the camera isn't correctly tagging the file as 16:9. This is metadata -- the visual difference between 16:9 and 4:3 is obvious. But the data is identical; the only difference is how it's interpreted by your player or editor. The squish tells you that the video is tagged at 4:3, but as it's horizontally squished and vertically full height, it's clearly 16:9.

If this is the case, set up a standard DVD 16:9 template. Drop the video onto the timeline. Go to the video clip, right click to get the context menu. Go to Switches, de-select the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" option. Alternately, don't do any of that. Right click on a clip, select "Properties". When you get the pop-up, go to the "Media" tab, and look for the Pixel Aspect Ratio setting. It ought to read 0.9091 (NTSC DV), which means it is, indeed, being tagged as 4:3. Change this to 1.2121 (NTSC DV Widescreen). Click "OK". See if the video looks better.

If you see the video with black bars all around, or top and bottom with a horizontal stretch, you have a "fake" 16:9 video. Some DV camcorders could actually make a good pass at "real" 16:9 video. I had an old Sony camcorder that actually used the extra pixels on the side of the sensor, otherwise used for digital image stabilization, to shoot a larger image for 16:9. Others simply crop a 16:9 windows out of the 4:3 image. When they do that, some will record a true 16:9 image, others will simply letterbox in 4:3. When you see black bars all around, you're in a letterboxed 4:3 video clip. You can crop this, using the Event Pan/Crop tool, but it's going to be low quality.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert ReisterRe: Can Vegas recognize 720x480 WIDESCREEN video?
by on May 2, 2012 at 2:41:10 pm

OK, I can import, then manually set the pixel aspect ration to 1.2121 which then displays correctly!

Thanks for all your input!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]