Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Trying to get more serious about de-interlacing - blend vs interpolate vs plugins?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Stephen CryeTrying to get more serious about de-interlacing - blend vs interpolate vs plugins?
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 9:34:19 pm

Hi;

For the last few weeks (because I still can't find my dream cam that will shoot in 60p) I've been studying and reading about interlace in Vegas. There is a LOT of discussion about this, and I'm only a little less confused than when I started.

Some time ago I realized that my 1080 60i source footage, when rendered to 1920x1080 30p, seemed to look better if I used "interpolate" in Vegas instead of the default "blend". There were noticeably less ghosts on moving edges. (but, blend seems to be faster in preview). The consensus seems to be "use interpolate if you have a lot of motion, otherwise blend is faster and OK."

But, many posts here and other places seem to imply that Vegas might be throwing away info when interpolate is used. Of course this worried me.

Research about Smart De-interlace and Yadif eventually led me here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/923607 , which I will try to install.

In addition to much confusion about this, I do have a specific question - anyone tested/tried this with Vegas 11?

Any info would be great,

Thanks,

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400, MultiTB SATA, 8GB RAM, nVidea FX 570, Vegas 10e (and 11) x64 DVDA 5.2(build 133) Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Graham BernardRe: Trying to get more serious about de-interlacing - blend vs interpolate vs plugins?
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 10:01:32 pm

For me, this is THE most confusing and "opaque" process of them all. I'm being serious.

First off, you've asked a most important question. Secondly, there is much discussion and angst expressed about the subject. However, in a coward's way, here's a link to the SONY Vegas Pro site that takes the discussion to even higher levels: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&Messag...

Cheers

Grazie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Trying to get more serious about de-interlacing - blend vs interpolate vs plugins?
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 12:20:39 am

LOL.... You're suppose to be scratching your head even more now
Stephen.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen CryeRe: Trying to get more serious about de-interlacing - blend vs interpolate vs plugins?
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 2:59:54 am

Hee hee!

I must LOL because that thread is one of many that I have been reading with much scratching of my head.

But I'm glad that I am not the only one with these itches ...

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400, MultiTB SATA, 8GB RAM, nVidea FX 570, Vegas 10e (and 11) x64 DVDA 5.2(build 133) Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen CryeRe: Trying to get more serious about de-interlacing - blend vs interpolate vs plugins?
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 3:14:09 am

Ok people, on a more serious and less eczemic note - read below and please jump in where I have it wrong.

Footage shot at 60i means that we get 30 "full" frames a second, with each full frame consisting of two half frames, each 1/60th of second apart. These half frames are interlaced: one contains just the odd lines in the final frame, the other the even lines.

This scheme was devised by the broadcast TV geeks in primitive times. Broadcast TV still uses this, the theory being that our lowly eyeballs and brains blur the even/odd half frames together into a single frame every 1/30th of a second.

YouTube and other formats, on the other hand, want everything to be 30p. So, when we render for YT, we have to combine the two half-frames somehow. Complicating this is the fact that the two half frames are separated in time by a small amount, so a moving object will be offset in each half frame - and because they are on alternating lines, there will be jagginess. We get rid of the jagginess with one of two methods in Vegas - "blend" (which gives those ghostly edges in the direction of motion), or "interpolate", which seems to have less ghosting but possibly only because 1/2 of the info has been thrown away and the full frame calculated via some kind of necromancy/voodoo that no one can explain?!?

So far, no big revelations here.

But - suppose I want to render for a format that is native 60i. (I see plenty of these options in Vegas, for example BlueRay 1920x1080 60i.

If my footage is 60i, and my target media is 60i, why would I not set Vegas to "none" in de-interlace? Just not mess with it and send it to my Samsung TV in full glorious interlaced format?

Help ...

Steve

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen MannRe: Trying to get more serious about de-interlacing - blend vs interpolate vs plugins?
by on Apr 30, 2012 at 1:31:44 pm

[Stephen Crye] " Broadcast TV still uses this"

That's because there are still an awful lot of working raster-scan TV sets out there. OTA has to accommodate the lowest common denominator.

[Stephen Crye] "If my footage is 60i, and my target media is 60i, why would I not set Vegas to "none" in de-interlace? Just not mess with it and send it to my Samsung TV in full glorious interlaced format?"

In most cases your TV will do a better job of deinterlacing in the hardware.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Apr 30, 2012 at 10:22:45 pm

[Steve Mann] "In most cases your TV will do a better job of deinterlacing in the hardware."

So ... perhaps you can save me from a few BD coasters. If I have source footage that is 1080 60i, and I want to make a BD that will be played back on my Samsung 1080i TV, what Vegas de-interlace setting is best, and which render for BD setting is best? (Footage has a lot of motion).

Thanks,

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400, MultiTB SATA, 8GB RAM, nVidia FX 570, Vegas 10e (and 11) x64 DVDA 5.2(build 133) Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 2, 2012 at 2:26:42 am

Beep?

Was hoping one of the BluRay experts would weigh in here.

My confusion/question: Source footage is interlaced. Need to render highest quality for BD that will be played back on Samsung HD TV. Do I set Vegas to not de-interlace?

My thinking is that I don't need to de-interlace because the TV hardware will display the full 1080 60i natively.

But, I don't know enough about BD format to be certain.

Thanks,

Steve

Win7 Pro X64 on Dell T3400, MultiTB SATA, 8GB RAM, nVidia FX 570, Vegas 10e (and 11) x64 DVDA 5.2(build 133) Sony HDR-CX550V

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]