Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

measuring maximum VU and maximum dbfd

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Grzegorz Kwiatkowskimeasuring maximum VU and maximum dbfd
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 4:46:23 am

Is there any plugin or feature in Vegas (or in Sound Forge).that will measure what is maximum VU and dbfs in audio? I mean without having to vo through the whole video/audio file and watching the meters instantly (VU and dbfs).

My tv station requires dbfs not to exceed -10dbfs and 0VU, however the average VU should be around -4VU.

I d like to see the peaks of these two meters and for example average values.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom YeiserRe: measuring maximum VU and maximum dbfd
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 11:47:25 am

In Vegas (and CD Architect) you can right click on an audio file in the timeline, select 'properties', and check 'Normalize'. The properties window will tell you how many decibiles of gain were added (or removed) to the file so that the peak is at zero. When you uncheck 'normalize' it will remove the gain. If it added gain, subtract what was added from zero.

If you are in Sound Forge (Studio 10) under 'Tools' and 'Statistics' you will find a report that tells you 'Maximum sample value (dB)', and where that is 'Maximum sample value (time)'.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Grzegorz KwiatkowskiRe: measuring maximum VU and maximum dbfd
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 7:29:12 pm

Sound Forge statistics is a partial solution. Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom YeiserRe: measuring maximum VU and maximum dbfd
by on Apr 17, 2012 at 8:51:36 pm

I forgot to mention that 'Statistics' also reports 'Average Value' in dB.

As I was thinking about VU I did a quick search and read wikipedia. I think VU meters report dB but the mechanics of the device cause it to be inaccurate in a helpful way, which may be what the TV folks are after.

Some of my preamps (Focusrite ISA428)have vu meters but they are way to slow to be of much help to me, but I enjoy watching them.

Here is a link that I found that is a free VU meter application. http://www.vuplayer.com/other.php I didn't notice if they have an Apple version.

Sweet Owen Sound Recording Studio
Musician

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]