Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Vegas Pro 10 setup wiped out my `Program Files` folder

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Omer AydinVegas Pro 10 setup wiped out my `Program Files` folder
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 11:20:18 am

I know it's stupid but I managed to delete my Program Files folder with Sony Vegas Pro 10 Uninstall.

Be careful when installing into a custom path. Sony Vegas Uninstall deletes the files and folders that it did not create during install.

I install my apps to F drive so I pointed to `F:\Program Files` and expected to have Sony folder to be created in there.
Unfortunately Vegas installed itself into the root of Program Files folder. (Did not create the `Sony\Vegas Pro folder` )

Well, OK, my mistake... Then I uninstalled it.
It wiped out the whole folder, `Program Files` even it contained files and folders not created by Vegas Setup. Only the ones being used at the time have survived due to system denying access to them.
(BTW I did not see any notification like `some files are not deleted`.)

I'm not sure if this is a bug but I think it's not wise to use an uninstaller that removes files that does not appear in it's install log. That is dangerous. What if someone installed it on the Root of a drive or in a folder that contains data with no backup.

I have lost a lot of data. Hopefully they were all either backuped stuff or software that I'm able to reinstall.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Vegas Pro 10 setup wiped out my `Program Files` folder
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 1:00:54 pm

Are you sure Vegas did that. All my years, ive never
hear of Vegas doing something like that....very odd.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Omer AydinRe: Vegas Pro 10 setup wiped out my `Program Files` folder
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 1:47:39 pm

After I had my files deleted on my machine, I tested it on another XP system and it did the same. (No worry for w7 users. I tested it and it uninstalls properly)

Uninstall apps usually never touches any files and folders that do not belong to that specific installation. It appears the uninstall tool Sony uses does not check whether the files that are going to be removed are installed by Sony Setup or not.

You can test it on a XP system by installing Vegas 10 in a `Test` folder. Copy some dummy files and folders into this 'Test' folder before starting install (for populating it like a `Program Files` folder). Then, run Setup and change install path to `Test` folder. When you uninstall, Setup deletes the 'Test' folder completely.

I agree that is odd.
People who have Vegas installed like above should get a backup before running uninstall.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim GreeneRe: Vegas Pro 10 setup wiped out my `Program Files` folder
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 1:55:11 pm

Don't ever put your project files in the target folder for the program. The uninstall simply deletes the folder it thinks was used for that program. Simply use a separate folder for project files.

-Jim.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 10, 2012 at 2:14:22 pm

Thanks Jim.
I work just like you mentioned. I have my system on C, audio/video and project files on D and non-system software on F drive.
I didn't loose any projects. The files deleted were applications and plugins which I had a backup of.

The problem is caused by Sony uninstall script deleting files and folders that do not belong to Sony installation.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Vegas Pro 10 setup wiped out my `Program Files` folder
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 2:15:21 pm

Yes, as Jim kinda pointed out, you are going about the installation
all wrong, then obviously the uninstallation will delete its folder
and everything in it.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 10, 2012 at 2:54:31 pm

"...then obviously the uninstallation will delete its folder"

Sorry Steve but that is not obvious.
Proper setup scripts do this by the book. They keep an install log of files copied to the system and uses that list when removing files later. A normal uninstall script never deletes a file not related to the setup package. If the folder contains files that do not belong to the setup, the script leaves the file and keeps the folder ... and if it's a nice script coded by nice people, you'll see a notify message like "Some of the files are not removed"... (some even display a list of it)

I agree/know/prefer that an application should be installed in it's own folder but not doing so won't cost you anything with a proper install/uninstall script.

"..you are going about the installation all wrong"
Sony Setup completed that `all wrong` installation without any warning that my 'Program Files' folder is going to be wiped out.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim GreeneRe: Vegas Pro 10 setup wiped out my `Program Files` folder
by on Apr 10, 2012 at 6:14:02 pm

OK, I see your point now. It is a valid point, however I never assume an uninstallation will behave as you say it should. I always store vital scripts & plugins on a separate disk as the whole main disk can (and has/will) fail. Sorry if you lost anything, and sorry for our confusion.

-Jim.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 11, 2012 at 8:32:56 am

That is something like a car with no seatbelts crashing into a tree and someone flys out thru the windshield and you respond like `you are doing it all wrong`, 'drive on the road` , `are you sure, I'm a driver too'
I already know people shouldn't run into trees with a car but it happens. What I was trying to point out is that car does not have seatbelts.

Vegas uninstall script deletes files and folders that do not belong to it's installation.

Thanks for your comments about this issue but I still think that is a faulty uninstall script.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]