Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Books/Websites on Film Editing

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Ron WhitakerBooks/Websites on Film Editing
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 7:23:43 pm

I'm looking for sources teaching film editing.

I want to clarify something first: I'm NOT looking for sources telling me which button to press in whatever software program. That's not editing!

I'm looking for sources that explain the "art" of editing, how and where to cut from one clip to the next.

I had originally purchased the book "Apple Pro Training Series: The Craft of Editing with Final Cut Pro" by Michael Wohl.

I thought that the book would be useful across platforms (I use Sony Vegas), and all I would have to do is simply pull the files into SV to follow the editing tutorials. Unfortunately, not so. Sony Vegas didn't recognize any of the files!

Does anyone know of any sources, either websites or books, that teach the "art" of editing (for drama, comedy, documentaries, etc) with more generic accompanying source video files so that I can follow along in SV?

Thank you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo MikeRe: Books/Websites on Film Editing
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 8:59:56 pm

Well, the best way to learn that is to watch movies and try to imitate scenes that you like on your own shoots. Just practice. I learned to edit by watching the movies I liked.

As for books, I recommend David Mamet's On Directing Film, if only for the advice to cut out everything that doesn't move the story forward and to make the movie work as a silent film. I also recommend Sidney Lumet's Making Movies.

http://www.scenethroughglass.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Books/Websites on Film Editing
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 9:29:15 pm

In the Blink of an Eye by Walter Murch
The Five C's of Cinematography by Joseph Mascelli
Both are available at Amazon.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Books/Websites on Film Editing
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 8:04:45 pm

Ill be giving those 2 books a look-see Mike.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ron WhitakerRe: Books/Websites on Film Editing
by on Apr 11, 2012 at 8:15:53 pm

I read during the Fall "The Five C's of Cinematography." It was an excellent book!

I was just hoping for a book like the Apple Training Series I mentioned in my original post because it came with a couple of DVDs with video clip files on it and the book took you through tutorials with actual editing examples and the video clips on the DVDs followed along. That's how I like to learn, so I was hoping for something similar out there. I'd rather do that than just "read" about it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]