Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Menus in an MP4 file - possible???

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Phil PeacockMenus in an MP4 file - possible???
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 5:20:02 am

I am sure many others will be in the habit of creating dvd/blueray discs for clients, friends etc but also creating computer files for own use. I know I create discs for giveaway and also an MPEG2 or MPEG4 file so that I can play the video back on my computer, often through my PS3.

I have tried searching but to be honest I'm stumped as to how to compose my search to give relevant responses so if anyone has any ideas I would be delighted to hear them.

QUESTION - can I create a computer video file that incorporates the dvd menu so that it plays out as a dvd would on a device networked with my computer?

Grateful for any feedback whatsoever guys. Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Dave HaynieRe: Menus in an MP4 file - possible???
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 2:08:48 pm

There is no standard format that embeds DVD-style navigation.

The DivX company has a proprietary format (they use some standard building blocks like AVI and maybe Matroska file wrappers, but the menus are not standard) that does this, when using their player. You need to spend a little money to get the authoring tools. The result probably plays on media players -- they've been pretty aggressive about this. But not may will support the menus.

If this is really important, this is the only such solution I know about.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Menus in an MP4 file - possible???
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 8:43:35 pm

Dont know of any method to get that happening.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Phil PeacockRe: Menus in an MP4 file - possible???
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:02:24 pm

Hmmm. My conclusion so far too. Odd though, when you think about it, not having the convenience of skipping around in a video compilation (like 'scene selection' or even 'extras') especially when hyperlinks are so prevalent elsewhere.

Maybe something I need to invent! But buckleys of that happening, ha ha.

Thanks anyways guys.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim GreeneRe: Menus in an MP4 file - possible???
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:17:11 pm

You can do this (sort of) with a video posted to Vimeo. In the comments, place the timecode start time for each "chapter", like 10:15, and Vimeo will make this a hyperlink to the timecode in the video player. But you do need to wait for file to load up to the actual marker for it to work.

-Jim.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 15, 2012 at 12:11:20 am

Thanks Jim. Interesting although not quite what I am thinking of.
Cheers, Phil

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave HaynieRe: Menus in an MP4 file - possible???
by on Mar 16, 2012 at 7:33:47 am

[Phil Peacock] "Hmmm. My conclusion so far too. Odd though, when you think about it, not having the convenience of skipping around in a video compilation (like 'scene selection' or even 'extras') especially when hyperlinks are so prevalent elsewhere."

You have this, but only in formal delivery formats. MPEG-4 isn't a formal deliver format, it's Yet Another Motion Picture Experts Group media format, which really just concentrates on building useful pieces that other people will use to build on top of. So we have AVCHD, Blu-ray, DivX, and maybe a few other formats that offer some degree of DVD-like navigation, all based on MPEG-4 standards, but building beyond that. MPEG-4 also drives satellite TV here in the states, and second-generation digital TV in Europe... neither of which have any need for navigation.... they do non-interactive broadcast streaming.

I might have expected something more along these lines from Microsoft, given they had all their own standards. But they mimiced the MPEG folks... they actually did release an interactive film format based on WMV, dubbed WMV/HD (very creative name), which was high definition, usually 720p, on red laser DVDs. They used HTML and Javascript to author the disc -- they assumed a player that knew how to respond to track offsets being sent.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 18, 2012 at 12:28:17 am

Interesting reading Dave, thanks. I have just been checking out DivX and also WMV/HD which I had never heard of.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]