Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Vegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Rikki DamanVegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:15:05 pm

Not looking to bait or troll but I was wondering what the state of play is.

Im currently using Pro 8 on an old XP machine that is getting replaced in the next month with an i7 2600K with all the bells and whistles.

Ive paid to upgrade from 8 to 9 then to 10 but never installed them due to time and the old "if it aint broke" thinking. Ive also seen more and more mention of problems with the newer versions and today I scanned this forum area and saw a TON of complaints.

What I want to do is ask if there are people who are completely happy with 11, who obviously havent needed to post about issues.

For me 8 has been good, though with projects of 45+ mins rendering out to MP4 does crash for no apparent reason now and again.

I dont want to drop a ton of cash on a speedy new PC with a fast GPU and spend to upgrade to 11 for it to fall over all the time, negating the whole upgrade process.

Thanks for any advice and info :)
Rik

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff SchroederRe: Vegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 4:52:44 pm

I am completely satisfied with VP11. I have it installed on 2 machines, I keep them clean and have had no problems with it. One is an AMD Phenom running win7 and the other is an i7 with win7. I am slow to upgrade my "production" machine only because of some reports here.

Jeff

Windows 7 64-bit, ASUS P6X58D, i7 960 3.20GHz, 24.0GB DDR3, 12TB connected storage

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Vegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 7:44:01 pm

To be honest with you Rikki, i still use Vegas 10.0e
to handle all my paid projects.(and that is what iam
thoroughly happy using).

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen MannRe: Vegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 8:45:42 pm

I update my Vegas installation with every release and I am very pleased with it. It makes money for me every day.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rikki DamanRe: Vegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 12:53:00 am

Thanks for the replies folks.

I see what you're saying about not putting it on a production machine but at the same time its a bit like buying a brand new limo but using your old limo for paid jobs - it kinda defeats the purpose.

I think I'll get my new PC next month but keep a close eye on threads here and then dip my toe with 11 and see how it goes.

I love Vegas so I really dont want to swap (and thats the reason Im getting a new beefy PC instead of going Mac) :)

Thanks again for your replies,

Rik

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 4:05:57 am

its a bit like buying a brand new limo but using your old limo for paid jobs - it kinda defeats the purpose.

You have a point yes, but i would not quite put it at that.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo MikeRe: Vegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 12:29:49 pm

With the 595 build Sony just released, NewBlue Titler seems to FINALLY be useable. I tried it out last night and didn't have a crash or lock up. So I'm trying it out on new projects occasionally, but it's still got some features which are baffling.

http://www.scenethroughglass.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim GreeneRe: Vegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 12:43:46 pm

Perhaps it's my plugins (I'm still on very old 32-bit plugins), but on a clean new Win7 machine, V10 seems to crash way more than on my old XP machine. So I have 32-bit V11 also installed and when things go bad with the V10 veg, I start working with it in V11. At this point all new projects are V11.

My experience with the latest 32-bit build #594 of V11, it is more stable than V10. Certainly not as stable as V8, which I thought was VERY stable, but V8 can't cut through h.264 at all. There are odd times that V11 will crash, but at least so far I don't get the veg project in a state that it will crash just by playing the timeline like V10 can eventually do to me.

-Jim.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roger BansemerRe: Vegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 1:05:29 pm

I'm still thinking that Vegas11 has rendering problems. I'd hate to work a week on a show and then not be able to render it.
Has Sony corrected all those issues?
Roger

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 14, 2012 at 1:31:38 pm

Not ready to use Vegas 11 on my main edit bay as yet.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob PetersonRe: Vegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:10:58 pm

Systems people can teach a lesson. They are not usually enamored with new software. They don't put it into production until they are fairly sure that it will work reliably. You don't risk your revenue stream on untested software, and software is a tool. A fancy new car is a toy.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rikki DamanRe: Vegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?
by on Mar 14, 2012 at 3:21:55 pm

I disagree with that, when a new version of Adobe software comes out its generally been tested and works out of the box. This has been the case with Photoshop for me since version 2.5.1.

Same with audio editing programs too - but Vegas, literally months after release and after lots of patches and updates still seems to draw wrath.

I doubt a limo company would see a "fancy new car" as being a toy as much as you see a "fancy new camera / computer / software" as being a toy either.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Malcolm MatuskyRe: Vegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?
by on Mar 15, 2012 at 11:28:36 pm

With the latest update of 11 - 595/64bit, running i7 chip, I'm OK so far. Starting a new project this week, have VP9 still installed, but have not used it for a while. I had a lot of issues with the first release, now I'm more confidant with the software.

M

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 16, 2012 at 12:12:13 am

Good...

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

andy abulafiaRe: Vegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?
by on Mar 16, 2012 at 3:45:43 pm

As a low-end consumer camera user (Kodak Zi8, Kodak Zi10, Sony TG5V, other sony camcorders) I can confirm that Sony Vegas 11 works "out of the box"

I took a leap of faith upgrading from 8 to 11 as 8 seemed to crash all over the place and I needed to do some amount of "tinkering" with .mov and MP4 and .mts files before they were usable in Sony Vegas 8.

but WOW - Vegas 11 is very easy to use and forgiving for a sub-amateur such as myself. No weird carasing/program closures or strange cryptic messages anymore! yay

Another good sign - SV11 is receiving many service packs from Sony - none of these have impacted me personally but GOOD TO KNOW that Sony are out there fixing and improving stuff regularly.

Your i7 is going to fly with SV11!!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 18, 2012 at 7:05:15 am

Thats good, strange to hear you say Vegas 8 was constantly
crashing and Vegas 11 is giving you no problem....lol

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

andy abulafiaRe: Vegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?
by on Mar 19, 2012 at 1:47:52 am

yeah Steve for me in 8.1 (64 bit, running XP64) it would just terminate without warning (the screen would disappear and I would have to start over) - it was no biggie due to autosave, but it seemed to happen when cropping clips, or just dropping something on the timeline - very simple stuff. I ignored it because it was annoying but not life threatening. Ah yes and sometime renders would just SIT THERE foroever and a day... so every now and again I would have to just start over and it would magically be ok next time around.

But, to reiterate - the stuff I do is notoriously simple but still happy to report that with my original i7 12GB RAM and a fresh install of w7 x64 and SV11 x64 it's very stable.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Linda O'ConnellRe: Vegas Pro 11: Who is happy with it ?
by on Mar 20, 2012 at 6:22:23 pm

I upgraded from 8 to 11 thinking it was about time. But then figured out that I don't have the correct video card on either one of my computers to use the GPU acceleration, so that point was worthless.

I have been experimenting around with rendering to an AVI then importing into Vegas 8 and render to an MPEG file or whatever other format I need. It seems like it takes hardly anytime to render to an AVI but MPEGs take forever on 11. Is this crazy?

The 11 has the titler option on it and some other templates I use from Digital Juice that aren't available on 8.

But day in and out I am still using 8, but 90% of my work is simple editing etc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]