Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Multi-cam in Vegas 10

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Brad WhiteMulti-cam in Vegas 10
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 9:20:42 pm

I mostly shoot conferences, symposiums and the like using multiple cameras, and many of the speakers use some type of projected presentation, such as PowerPoint. To improve quality, I always get a digital version of the PowerPoint to edit into my program (using the muti-camera feature). Since Vegas doesn't accept .ppt (PowerPoint) files, I first save each PowerPoint slide as a .jpg which works fine when added to a new track on the time line.
What's missing in this approach is the ability to save the speakers use of a laser pointer on the screen to highlight something. I would like to create an overlay track (over the .jpg) with an arrow, star or some special character that would simulate what the orignal speaker was highlighting.
The only thing I can find in Vegas that comes close is the "text" feature which roughly works using the asterisk key and positioning it where I want. I'm looking for something more sophisticated that has special keys and possibly motion. Is there a plug-in that might work?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff SchroederRe: Multi-cam in Vegas 10
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:41:03 pm

You can make whatever you want in a .png with a transparent background, then using track motion, move, rotate, or even twirl it on the track above your .jpg.

Jeff

Windows 7 64-bit, ASUS P6X58D, i7 960 3.20GHz, 24.0GB DDR3, 12TB connected storage
http://www.narrowroadmedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Multi-cam in Vegas 10
by on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:52:36 pm

Use the Wingdings font to get special characters such as stars, arrows, etc.
Use the Character Map feature to copy/paste the code.
In XP, go Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tool-Character Map.
Switch to the Wingdings (or Webdings) font and pick whatever you want.
Then, as Jeff suggested, use Track Motion or Pan/Crop to move it around as desired.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob PetersonRe: Multi-cam in Vegas 10
by on Mar 8, 2012 at 2:01:38 am

I use the Color Balance control at the level on a track which is a duplicate of the slide track. I use it to change the colors of the text and background. I then use a mask on each slide which, via keyframes, moves from point to point. Sometimes I use to color balance controls in sequence to obtain the best effect.

It's a bit more work, but offers precise control over what is being highlighted.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brad WhiteRe: Multi-cam in Vegas 10
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 12:05:47 am

Thanks for your replies.
I’ve had some success except for the “spinning” part. The command in track motion called “enable rotation” says this is where you can rotate or spin the video. I’m able to position the “character” where I want it and with keyframes move it around, but I can’t get it to spin on its’ axis. What’s missing?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 9, 2012 at 1:02:41 am

Click in the dropdown box in the top left corner of the track motion window and select 3D Source Alpha.

Now you need to spin that on the proper pivot point.
Fortunately John Rofrano has a great tutorial called 3D Track Motion: Changing the Pivot Point.
http://www.johnrofrano.com/tutorials/3dpivot.htm

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brad WhiteRe: Multi-cam in Vegas 10
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 2:04:08 am

Thanks Mike!
The key was switching to 3D Source Alpha.
Brad

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 9, 2012 at 11:24:23 am

You're welcome Brad.
Glad I could help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS