Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Need assistance, over exposed footage making colors to blue etc.

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Paul GilmoreNeed assistance, over exposed footage making colors to blue etc.
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 1:02:46 am

I am in the middle of editing together a demo for a charter company. I filmed the footage on DSLR 1080 HD and now looking at the footage everything is just over exposed, footage was shot side so like one half of the sky is white the half is blue... I'm having real trouble in correcting this issue, everything I do makes it look worse. There must be someway I can correct the color of this footage??
Pictures are below:

Any assistance will be much appreciated.
Thanks a bunch
Paul

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Need assistance, over exposed footage making colors to blue etc.
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 2:14:08 am

This is were Color Curves comes in.
Do some reading on the subject, search and you will
find some helpful tips to have your overexposed clips
corrected....
You can start with this:
http://www.glennchan.info/articles/vegas/color-correction/tutorial.htm#supe...

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nigel O'NeillRe: Need assistance, over exposed footage making colors to blue etc.
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 3:24:27 am

And in future, use an ND filter.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 10e (x32/x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen MannRe: Need assistance, over exposed footage making colors to blue etc.
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 3:32:06 am

The white areas appear, according to the shadows, to be near the light source. Without seeing a histogram, I would bet that the images look overexposed because they *are* overexposed. There's no image data in those white zones, so no amount of fiddling with the curves of intensity settings will recover anything.

Don't use spot or center-weighted auto exposure.
If there's any question - underexpose.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Frederic BaumannRe: Need assistance, over exposed footage making colors to blue etc.
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 9:36:34 am

Hi,

I have posted below the 3 pics corrected with FBmn Software's Exposure plug-in. I have chosen settings according to what I found was optimal, but this is kind of subjective, and you might try other settings on your own.

The sky can be restored on image1 and image2, but as mentioned by Stephen, the left-hand side part of the sky in image3 is definitely burned. R/G/B are all at 255 there, so no hope to restore any kind of blue I am afraid. Except maybe with an alpha mask to combine a layer of blue (might be tough to adjust on a moving landscape...)

(by the way, JPG compression + resolution downsizing to 480x270 in original images make the resulting pics pretty bad quality).

Hope this helps,
Frederic

--

FBmn Software: Professional GPU-powered plug-ins to fix White Balance and Exposure issues in a few clics.
Color-matching made easy with the ColorMatch plug-in.

Want to learn on Sony Vegas Event Pan/Crop tool? Watch my tutorial.
Or about Keyframes? Watch this one. French version here.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: Need assistance, over exposed footage making colors to blue etc.
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 11:19:06 am

Thanks for the input Frederic, also found where your Exposure
plugin work miracles is highlighting those dark areas or
intelligently brightens footage that had been shot in low light.

Long craved this in Vegas, before i always have to use the
shadow/highlight feature in after effects.

There is only so much you can do Paul with overexposed or under
exposed shots....

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul GilmoreRe: Need assistance, over exposed footage making colors to blue etc.
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 6:41:34 pm

Awesome thanks guys for the help!
I've never really tried any 3rd party plugin's before. Always been kinda hesitant not knowing for sure how it'll work or crash Vegas, I've had issues like that in the past. But I'll try out all that was recommended. Thanks again everyone!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Frederic BaumannRe: Need assistance, over exposed footage making colors to blue etc.
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 6:57:25 pm

Glad to help as far as I can Paul.

What I can say is that since my 5 plug-ins have been released (more than 1 year ago for the first one), zero bug has been reported. Every time customers have reported an issue, it turned out to be reproducible within Vegas, without the FBmn Software plug-ins, showing that it was not coming from them. But well, I agree, it does not mean that there will never be any bug discovered in them :-) So far so good anyway.

Frederic

--

FBmn Software: Professional GPU-powered plug-ins to fix White Balance and Exposure issues in a few clics.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Paul GilmoreRe: Need assistance, over exposed footage making colors to blue etc.
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 9:42:05 pm

I notice it's not a free plugin... is here any plugin's that are free and also good? I'm kinda tight right now on $$

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nigel O'NeillRe: Need assistance, over exposed footage making colors to blue etc.
by on Feb 18, 2012 at 11:42:40 pm

Paul

Is a re-shoot an option? It's free :-)

Paul, fbmn's software plugin needs to be used in conjunction with color curves and color correction, and a bit of contrast to reduce that washed out look.

The shot is a bit blue to begin with, suggesting either your white balance was a bit off or you don't have a UV filter fitted. An ND filter would have reduced the exposure.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 10e (x32/x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Danny HaysRe: Need assistance, over exposed footage making colors to blue etc.
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 6:56:06 am

What Steve said is true guys. If it's washed out to the point it's white, you have no way of getting back what may have been there, like clouds. You can use the color curve, highs and boost blue to get the white to look blue, but all other white in the shot will get the same effect.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 20, 2012 at 2:54:31 pm

If it was a steady shot, you could easily do some masking.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ken MitchellRe: Need assistance, over exposed footage making colors to blue etc.
by on Feb 21, 2012 at 1:22:00 pm

If you have After Effects you could track the matte with Mocha and replace the whole sky. Depends on how much time you want to put into it. I'd probably reshoot.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 21, 2012 at 11:46:36 pm

Yeah, that can be done to some extent...
But only if the payback is worthy.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 22, 2012 at 6:32:23 am

Thank you everyone for all your knowledge and help...
I ended out using color corrector, color corrector 2 then I adjust the Limit Lumiance then I added and adjusted the contrast and looks pretty good.. no more blown out whites and that blue tint...

I'm defiantly looking more into 3rd party plugin's as was suggested, but for now this will do the job. I sent the videos in yesterday and the owners of the company LOVED them and actually hired me as their in house videographer.. so I guess I did something right..

Thanks again for EVERYONE's help it was very much appreciated!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 25, 2012 at 2:01:57 pm

Hi,

About the washed-out look, I would like to say that a new version of Exposure GPU has just been released.

It brings advanced color correction to avoid this wash-out effect, and keep colors saturated, and also provides enhanced highlights correction up to 200%.

The following picture shows 2 examples with original, Exposure before today, and the new Exposure GPU 3.0.

More information can be found on http://www.fbmn-software.com/en/exposure.html

Best regards,
Frederic

--

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]