Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

How to move projects between computers with Vegas 11 Pro

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tom HallHow to move projects between computers with Vegas 11 Pro
by on Feb 11, 2012 at 5:34:14 am

Any tips on how to move projects between computers using Vegas Pro 11 when the project are stored on different drive letters on each computer? So far I have been unsuccessful.

My old computer had drive "F" as drive I worked from and all project assets were stored in a folder structure on F:. I moved the folder structure to an external hard drive then moved the entire folder structure to my new computer from the external hard drive. The new computer has a raid array on it and it is not drive "F" any longer.

When I open up the project I get the message "the following file can not be found f:..." I select the option to specify a new location. Next I get the message that the next missing file was also found in the same location and asks if I want to use this location. I say yes to all but I still must step through every file. After relocating every file the project opens and all media is off line. The properties for the offline media shows it is still looking at drive f:. It appears the option to locate the missing files and reassign the drive letter doesn't work.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: How to move projects between computers with Vegas 11 Pro
by on Feb 11, 2012 at 12:47:56 pm

Did you select search for missing file
then select the drives?

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Editor & Compositor.
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tom HallRe: How to move projects between computers with Vegas 11 Pro
by on Feb 11, 2012 at 4:07:11 pm

Yes. I searched for and pointed Vegas to the new location for the missing files as my project was opening up. When the project had completely loaded all media clips pointed back to the original location causing the all media to be offline.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 11, 2012 at 4:11:56 pm

One additional item is the old computer is Vegas Pro 10 and the new computer has Vegas Pro 11. Could there be an issue with the different versions?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 11, 2012 at 4:20:41 pm

I also just tried saving-as to an external hard drive and then opening from the hard drive with the new computer. The external hard drive had/has different drive letters on the two computers so I ran into the same problem again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Robert St-OngeRe: How to move projects between computers with Vegas 11 Pro
by on Feb 12, 2012 at 2:06:26 am

Should work, very strange?
I never add any issues with the search feature.

You might want to gather all your footage and .veg file into a single folder and double-click your .veg from within the folder and work it up from there.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mikhail PetrushinRe: How to move projects between computers with Vegas 11 Pro
by on Feb 12, 2012 at 3:10:32 am

File | Save As | choose directory, type project file name and don't forget to select 'Copy media with project' checkbox.

When the project will be saved you can copy the directory with project file and all related media files to another computer.

Also, it's a good idea to execute Tools | Clean Project Media (or click lightning button in Project Media window) before saving your project under new name.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

Nigel O'NeillRe: How to move projects between computers with Vegas 11 Pro
by on Feb 14, 2012 at 2:53:28 am

Vegas should ask where the media files are upon opening, and then offer to do the same for the remaining files and automatically relink them.

Other than that, go into disk manager and reassign your external drive to F:

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 10e (x32/x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 16, 2012 at 8:46:31 pm

***Issue solved

Turns out on my new computer I had not loaded Cineform's Neoscene program and the associated codec. When I tried to create a new project with a single cip created using Neoscene Vegas gave me a warning about the codec not found. Loading an old project created with many clips that needed the Cineform codec, Vegas didn't say anything about the codec not being found.

I'm not sure of Sony monitors this forum or not but this issue sure used up a bunch my time trying to figure out what was going on.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]