Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Sony NXCAM HXR-NX70U Camcorder-Zoom Control Problems

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dave PetterutoSony NXCAM HXR-NX70U Camcorder-Zoom Control Problems
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:57:17 pm

I hear the Sony NXCAM HXR-NX70U Camcorder has major issues with the zoom control. Does anyone know if Sony is going to fix this problem? I do a lot of outside sports video and I really like the waterproof feature the camera has, but don't want to purchase one if the zoom is as bad as I hear it is. Any thoughts or help on this subject would be much appreciated. Sorry to post this hear, but it got no responses in the other forum.

Thanks
Dave P.

Intel I7 950, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE, Vegas Pro 10 (32bit/64bit), Windows 7 Pro 64bit, LG WH10LS30 10X Bluray Burner.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James ChandlerRe: Sony NXCAM HXR-NX70U Camcorder-Zoom Control Problems
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 2:48:32 am

There is a firmware upgrade due any day now for the NX70. Enhanced zoom control and selectable zoom speed is included in this. I have the camera and it is a problem. The following is the Sony web site link.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-nxcamsite/resource.downloads.bbsccms-ass...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nigel O'NeillRe: Sony NXCAM HXR-NX70U Camcorder-Zoom Control Problems
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 3:07:53 am

I do a lot of live work and use a LIBEC ZC-3DV remote LANC controller on the FX1, Z1P and NX5 cameras. It should work on the NX7. It's pretty basic, but it's cheap and was all I needed. It does support variable speed zooming, and the LIBEC supports Panasonic cameras at the flick of a switch.

I don't actually use the zoom rocker on my camera anymore, but if I do, I use the zoom ring on the camera for more organic zooms.

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 10e (x32/x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave PetterutoRe: Sony NXCAM HXR-NX70U Camcorder-Zoom Control Problems
by on Jan 29, 2012 at 11:54:35 am

Nigel, 95% of my video is hand held (no tripod used). Can the Libec be mounted on the camera or is it a tripod mount only?

Thanks
Dave P.

Intel I7 950, 12GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE, Vegas Pro 10 (32bit/64bit), Windows 7 Pro 64bit, LG WH10LS30 10X Bluray Burner.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Nigel O'NeillRe: Sony NXCAM HXR-NX70U Camcorder-Zoom Control Problems
by on Jan 29, 2012 at 8:53:20 pm

Dave

I do my handheld work with a monopod that I use both collapsed and extended. I attach the zoom controller to it. It is not very big as it is quite a basic controller. It is pretty inexpensive when compared to others. I guess you could always attach it to the handle of your camera... .

My system specs: Intel i7 970, 12GB RAM, ASUS P6T, Vegas Pro 10e (x32/x64), Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, Vegas Production Assistant 1.0, VASST Ultimate S Pro 4.1, Neat Video Pro 2.6

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 27, 2012 at 8:30:53 am

James--other than the zoom problem, how do you like the camera?

Nigel--Thanks for the ino, I'll look into that.

Thanks
Dave P.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jay AllenRe: Sony NXCAM HXR-NX70U Camcorder-Zoom Control Problems
by on Jan 27, 2012 at 1:37:24 pm

I have the camera...yes the zoom sucks, and having no ND filter isn't great.
The low light on this camera is amazing ....18 db of gain and it looks great. I don't go over 6 db on my EX3.
Great travel camera.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

James ChandlerRe: Sony NXCAM HXR-NX70U Camcorder-Zoom Control Problems
by on Jan 28, 2012 at 7:03:14 pm

Other than the zoom, which I really only use to frame the shots, and the lack of built in ND filters, the camera is awesome. I purchased a variable ND filter which works just fine. We used it as a third camera at a wedding reception recently and it was difficult to tell the footage apart from the 3 chip NX5's we were also using. The size makes it great for traveling or run and gun. Great little camera!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 29, 2012 at 11:46:49 am

Thanks for the info James I really appreciate it. If you do the firmware update I would really like to know how much it helps the camera, especially the zoom. In shooting sports I'm constantly using the zoom and can't imagine having a bad working zoom function. If possible please post here or email me at dpetto@verizon.net and let me know how the firmware update works for you.

Thanks
Dave P.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris MercuryRe: Sony NXCAM HXR-NX70U Camcorder-Zoom Control Problems
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:44:02 pm

James, what Variable ND did you get for yours? The only 37mm's I've been able to find are made by Polaroid and Vivitar? I shot a documentary in Kenya this summer on the NX70u, and would have loved to have one then, haha.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

William MurphyRe: Sony NXCAM HXR-NX70U Camcorder-Zoom Control Problems
by on Jul 14, 2012 at 5:38:48 pm

Any updates? Did Sony ever issue a firmware fix?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

William MurphyRe: Sony NXCAM HXR-NX70U Camcorder-Zoom Control Problems
by on Jul 12, 2012 at 5:14:39 pm

Any updates? Did the firmware resolve the zoom issue?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]