Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Lastest multicam effort with Vegas 11

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Al BergsteinLastest multicam effort with Vegas 11
by on Dec 29, 2011 at 7:56:28 pm

This is the link to the web site with the latest effort. I'll post the HD version now that this is up, later today on my Vimeo site. This song will only be on the front page for a week.

Canon XF305 is Camera 1. JVCHM700 is right side Cam 2. A 7D is profile right side (slightly yellowish/red tinge). I spent a *lot* of time (way too much) color balancing this, it's about as good as I will get it.

We just completed a shoot with this artist, using a friend with his Canon xf300. First take looks like it's the way to go. All the same camera.

Would love to have any of you critique it. One question that came up was whether the Apollo 8 opening is *too loud*. It does not appear to be on my editing suite,nor on my laptop. But if the mix is overly annoying at that volume, I could re-render.

As to camera matching, I've sort of given up on a 100% match. Just doesn't seem to be possible, even with controlled light and a lot of prep to match settings.

markpearsonmusic.com/

Vegas 11, multicamera editing.

Al

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen MannRe: Lastest multicam effort with Vegas 11
by on Dec 29, 2011 at 9:32:18 pm

[Al Bergstein] "Would love to have any of you critique it."

Can't. We get an error 404 - not found.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo MikeRe: Lastest multicam effort with Vegas 11
by on Dec 29, 2011 at 9:52:58 pm

Matching colors even with the same model of cameras can be difficult for me in Vegas. At some point I'll invest in Boris Red. I've seen John Rofrano's color match tutorial and it seems like a pretty good feature.

http://www.scenethroughglass.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Lastest multicam effort with Vegas 11
by on Dec 29, 2011 at 10:09:25 pm

Like you, I'm a child of the 60s (turned 16 in 1967) and I enjoyed and still do like folk music a lot.

"I spent a *lot* of time (way too much) color balancing this, it's about as good as I will get it."

Did you white balance all the cameras (under the same white light without any gels in them) before you started shooting?

"One question that came up was whether the Apollo 8 opening is *too loud*."

IMO yes, it's too loud and it's because of the very limited frequency range that really "punches" through.
I downloaded the SD version, dropped that section 9 db and I felt that it sounded much better.

p.s. your web site link comes up http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/24/markpearsonmusic.com/ which is why both Steve and I got the 404 error.
I had to copy just the markpearsonmusic.com piece of it for it to work properly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Al BergsteinRe: Lastest multicam effort with Vegas 11
by on Dec 29, 2011 at 11:15:24 pm

OK. Not sure why the COW didn't like this. But here is the Vimeo link.

http://vimeo.com/34343655

Al

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 29, 2011 at 11:22:25 pm

To answer your questions Mike:

Yes. We did white balance to a card before starting. I have been trying a variety of white balance and color balancing tools, from Frederick B.'s (fbmn-software.com) to Sony's and BCC but the problem seems to be that AVCHD is inherently more contrasty, even on a large sensor 7D, than the beautiful rich tonality of the xf300 at 50Mbps. AVCHD seems to favor blues, and shifts wood tones, like the old wood floor in the studio I shot in, to a more reddish hue. No amount of nudging of the wheels, or 'matching' in BCC/Sony/FBM could get the colors to really match up. But, I don't have a true reference monitor,just a LED that has been tuned with Spyder.

I lowered the opening NASA audio and will upload the fixed version tonight. Thanks for your feedback. I've appreciated reading your posts over the years. I've only been back at this kind of work for a few years now, trying to make champagne on a beer budget.

Al

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 30, 2011 at 12:05:17 am

I see. Yeah, AVCHD is kind of a pain. I used to convert all my AVCHD footage to Cineform avi, but with Vegas 10 and 11 that was becoming a nightmare because Vegas was locking up and crashing with Cineform avi.

I don't know what the solution is, but I wish I knew since I shoot lots of events with several cameras. And I'm only operating one or two at any given show if I even have a second camera operator, but my cameras don't let me change settings like filters or aperture while I'm shooting for the most part. If I'm shooting a show with lots of moving lights like a concert or fashion show, then the problem is compounded, since each camera may as well be on a different location.

Well, I guess I know the solution-get better cameras. But my finances won't make that an option for a while.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 30, 2011 at 12:22:07 am

I think the answer isn't necessarily "get better cameras" but "get the same camera". The eye is very sensitive to these color shifts, and the best way to handle it is to get the same sensor shooting the same format of compression. Or at least that's my take after trying a wide variety of gear and shooting environments. But...it's all about budget, and what the client wants. There are always ways to work around it, let the client understand that at the price point, you'll do the best you can. When it's for a small format window on the Internet,you can get away with a lot more than on a bigger screen.

Al

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 30, 2011 at 12:47:03 am

Even with the same cameras pointed at the same object, they're getting different light. The rule is that for every 15 degrees you turn your camera you should re-white balance. That's a problem for multicamera shoots unless your cameras are all close together and shooting the same area on screen (one's not zoomed in, another out). And in my case, there's no way to try to adjust camera settings in live events. I'd have to have people on every camera with radios while I call shots from a switcher, and even that would have its limits.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 30, 2011 at 12:59:49 am

True enough. Especally when you add the issue of colored spots, like we had on this shoot. It will be interesting to see how the recent shoots with two xf305s went.

Al

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Roger BansemerRe: Lastest multicam effort with Vegas 11
by on Dec 30, 2011 at 12:55:52 pm

A beautifully done video. Watched it twice. Great song and lyrics.
Compliments to the singer who realizes that he doesn't have to stuff the microphone down his throat to be heard. It's nice to see the artist without hiding behind the mike. Loved the dark background too. Very moving.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 30, 2011 at 5:10:29 pm

Thanks Roger. I'll pass that onto Mark. He's the consummate musician, having sung harmony since before he was 18 with the Brothers Four. It really shows. I've only heard a few bluegrass bands do as good with harmony.

We've gone through a lot of changes on his work in the last 18 months. From a simple single camera video taping of him in his cabin, to a full blown multi camera shoot with sound engineering in a theater setting, it has been great to have him as a client. He has been willing to experiment and work to make things better. It doesn't get much better than that.

Al

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]