Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Colour Correction Sony Vegas

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
John SimmonsColour Correction Sony Vegas
by on Nov 23, 2011 at 12:33:52 pm

Hi, I am a beginner at editing video and I was wondering if anyone could help me with colour correction to finish off my video. I have read and watched tutorials but i'm a bit unsure exactly how to do it.

My video format is Sony DV. I have the colour correction window displayed and have set the Video Scope Settings to Studio RGB (16 to 235).

All of my scenes have super whites so I have brought the Levels Output End down. Do I bring it down until the thick line/clump of dots on the Waveform monitor hits 100 or when the highest point hits 100 even if there's very few dots? I have done the latter.

All of my scenes have blacks that go below 0 but like the question above, do I raise the Levels Output Start until the thick line/clump of dots hits 0 or when the lowest points hits zero even if there's very few dots? I have done the latter again.

Finally, on the Vectorscope I have some scenes that have dots going over 100 and on the RGB Parade monitor it clumps together at the top. How do I go about correcting over saturated colours like this?

Thanks a lot for reading my post, hope someone can help me.

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Colour Correction Sony Vegas
by on Nov 24, 2011 at 12:38:42 am

[John Simmons] "All of my scenes have super whites so I have brought the Levels Output End down. Do I bring it down until the thick line/clump of dots on the Waveform monitor hits 100 or when the highest point hits 100 even if there's very few dots? I have done the latter."
You have done well to use Sony Levels to bring the output start and end within 0 - 100. You do want to keep the highest and lowest points within 0 - 100 or else they will get clipped. This will probably make your video look somewhat dull. I would use the Color Curves after the Levels and add a slight "S" curve to bring some dynamics back into the footage. Using Color Curves you can move some of the luminance in the mids back up without going over 100. Likewise for the blacks.
[John Simmons] "Finally, on the Vectorscope I have some scenes that have dots going over 100 and on the RGB Parade monitor it clumps together at the top. How do I go about correcting over saturated colours like this?"
You can fix this with the Color Corrector (Secondary). In your example the reds are too hot so use the secondary color corrector to just select the reds and desaturate them a little. This will bring them within the legal limits.

Finally, throw Broadcast Colors on your Master Video Output (above the preview window) using the Lenient - 7.5 Setup preset. This will clamp down on any spots you may have missed.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

John SimmonsRe: Colour Correction Sony Vegas
by on Nov 24, 2011 at 12:41:59 pm

Hi John, thaks a lot for your response.
[John Rofrano] "I would use the Color Curves after the Levels and add a slight "S" curve to bring some dynamics back into the footage. Using Color Curves you can move some of the luminance in the mids back up without going over 100. Likewise for the blacks."
I've experimented with the Colour Curves filter and I can only adjust to the desired 'S' shape very slightly before it goes over or under the legal luminance level. Before your suggestion I had use the secondary colour corrector and increased the saturation but I have removed that filter and tried the Colour Curves and it looks a lot better. Is it OK if the colour curve is nearly a straight line or should I adjust the levels even further before I adjust the Colour Curves so that I can adjust it to a more pronounced 'S' shape?
[John Rofrano] "You can fix this with the Color Corrector (Secondary). In your example the reds are too hot so use the secondary color corrector to just select the reds and desaturate them a little. This will bring them within the legal limits."
I have experimented with the secondary colour corrector but i'm not sure which picker to use out of the - and the +. I have tried both and i've tried on the red of the car and grey of the pavement in this example with an undesired result (too red or too green). Which picker and colour do I pick?
[John Rofrano] "Finally, throw Broadcast Colors on your Master Video Output (above the preview window) using the Lenient - 7.5 Setup preset. This will clamp down on any spots you may have missed."
Is it broadcast safe if the dots go into the green boxes on the Vectorscope or only if they don't go in the green boxes at all?

Thank you

John Simmons

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 24, 2011 at 6:26:22 pm

[John Simmons] "I've experimented with the Colour Curves filter and I can only adjust to the desired 'S' shape very slightly before it goes over or under the legal luminance level. "
You may have to go back to the Levels filter and adjust it. The goal is to make the video look as good as it did before, just with lower levels. You may have to go back and forth between Curves and Levels a few times to get it just right. Also you can lower the starting point of the Curve by dragging the edge down. Like this:

[John Simmons] "I have experimented with the secondary colour corrector but i'm not sure which picker to use out of the - and the +. I have tried both and i've tried on the red of the car and grey of the pavement in this example with an undesired result (too red or too green). Which picker and colour do I pick?"
Neither. You want to press the Select effect range button. Then check Show mask and adjust the Limit Luminance Low/High, Limit Saturation Low/High, and Limit Hue Width, to make the mask fill all of the red area. Finally, uncheck Show Mask and turn down the Saturation.
[John Simmons] "Is it broadcast safe if the dots go into the green boxes on the Vectorscope or only if they don't go in the green boxes at all?"
It depends. A lenient setting will allow colors to go above 100 as long as they are within the green boxes. A strict setting will now allow the colors to go over 100 at all.

~jr

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 27, 2011 at 11:05:55 pm

Thanks a lot. I've now colour corrected all my scenes and it looks much better using the colour curves. I would of asked about the interlacing artifacts problem i'm having but I thought it would be better to create a new thread for a different problem. Thanks a lot for your time, you've helped me a lot! I also needed to do colour matching on a few scenes and I remembered seeing a tutorial on YouTube. I searched for it again and realised it was your video! So you helped me with that too.

John Simmons

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 28, 2011 at 1:26:11 pm

I have a new question regarding levels and colour correction. I understand that Sony DV uses Studio levels (16-235). I understand TV uses Studio levels so I don't need to apply a Computer RGB to Studio RGB levels filter or vice versa. But if I want to upload my video to Facebook, YouTube etc, then should I apply the levels change I used for the DVD project, making the blacks rest on 0 and the whites peak at 100 on the Waveform monitor?

Do I need to apply the Sony Levels Studio RGB to Computer RGB?

Do I need to apply the Broadcast Safe Filter?

Also, I used Neat Video on my project but had problems applying it unless I rendered an intermediate file and applied it to that as one whole file. Opening the intermediate file I noticed the levels was peaking over 100 and was below 0 again on the Waveform monitor. I don't understand why the levels had changed back in my new rendered DV file?

John Simmons

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 28, 2011 at 1:56:30 pm

[John Simmons] "Do I need to apply the Sony Levels Studio RGB to Computer RGB?"
The answer unfortunately, depends on what codec you are using. If you render to Sony AVC using one of the Internet HD ... templates, then you don't need to do anything. The Sony AVC codec assumes you are feeding it Studio RGB and it will convert it to Computer RGB for you. So you don't have to do anything. I'm not sure about MainConcept AVC because I don't use it much. The bottom line is to feed the codec what it expects.
[John Simmons] "Do I need to apply the Broadcast Safe Filter?"
No. Internet video uses the full 0 - 255 RGB color space so there is no need to limit it.
[John Simmons] "Also, I used Neat Video on my project but had problems applying it unless I rendered an intermediate file and applied it to that as one whole file. Opening the intermediate file I noticed the levels was peaking over 100 and was below 0 again on the Waveform monitor. I don't understand why the levels had changed back in my new rendered DV file?"
I'm not sure why you would see this. If you rendered DV source to a single DV file Vegas would not have even rendered at all. It would have simply copied the events to one file. You should have seen the "no recompression needed" message if it was done right.

~jr

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 28, 2011 at 2:40:58 pm

It rendered it because of filters added for colour correction. I needed to render it to one file so I could then apply Neat Video, when adding Neat Video to multiple events I would set it to interlaced, setup the profile etc, but then the rendered file would stutter. I checked Neat Video's settings and some events was set to progressive and had no profile, some was set to interlaced and was set right. I think i've sussed out that problem now, I think I need to configure Neat Video when it's on the first Event in the timeline and then everything else follows the same but I haven't rendered it yet but it all looks like it's configured right now.

Do I need to apply the Sony Levels filter to keep the luminance in the range of 0-100 for Internet video?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 28, 2011 at 4:57:07 pm

[John Simmons] "It rendered it because of filters added for colour correction."
You should be applying Neat Video BEFORE doing anything else. You want Neat Video to remove any noise before you start doing things like color correction which may make the noise worse.
[John Simmons] "Do I need to apply the Sony Levels filter to keep the luminance in the range of 0-100 for Internet video?"
No, internet video can be anything you'd like. But if you've already made your video broadcast safe then there is nothing more for you to do.

~jr

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 29, 2011 at 3:04:47 pm

I would quote your comment but my q button doesn't work, I have to quote manually & use a character map lol.

How do I ensure Neat Video is the first chain command without having to put it on every Event FX(where all my filters have been applied)? I currently have it on the video track fx because I applied Neat Video to multiple Event's once and it would cause the video to jump/skip where the events was split. eg I split a pan half way to speed up the 2nd half (didn't have a tripod) and it looked smooth with out Neat Video but jumped with it. Thank you.

John Simmons

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:45:54 pm

[John Simmons] "How do I ensure Neat Video is the first chain command without having to put it on every Event FX(where all my filters have been applied)?"
Personally, I would treat any footage that needs it with Neat Video separately before I start. Neat Videos is going to take forever to render. You don't want it in your FX chain at all.

My workflow is to pre-treat any video that needs cleaning with Neat Video and render to a new file. Then I use the already cleaned files in my project. I do the same for audio with iZotope RX2. Anything that needs cleaning gets done first, outside my project. This also helps to keep frame rates high during editing.

~jr

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Devin GallowRe: Colour Correction Sony Vegas
by on May 11, 2013 at 10:08:14 pm

Hey All, How ya's doin?

New to the forum, and really didn't want to upload a new post. I figured it would be better to add this to a previous conversation on color correction.

I read a lot about color correcting in Vegas Pro, but I still can't seem to get it right.

I am wondering if somebody can tell me how this new workflow I am going to try sounds:

Master Effect Filters:

- Broadcast Safe Lenient -7.5
- Computer RGB to Studio RGB Levels
- Magic Bullet Look (If desired for a specific look)

Individual Clip: (as needed)

- Boris Continuum Complete 8 Noise Reduction
- Color Correction to adjust gamma, gain, and saturation
- Secondary Color Corrector to adjust select saturation
- Levels to bring back details where master filter washed out
- Light Sharpen

Outputs:

- For WEB, Keep "Computer RGB to Studio RGB" Levels Filter on Master Effect Bus
- For DVD and Broadcast, Remove the "Computer RGB to Studio RGB" Levels Filter on Master Effect Bus

Anyway, is this a good way to make sure my colors look crisp and detailed on all outputs? Would the broadcast filter insure my outputs being within the broadcast range?

Please let me know at your convenience. I currently run Sony Vegas Pro 12 with Boris Continuum Complete 8. Thank god I figured out the audio leveling thing!

Cheers!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]