Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

fps for youtube video - 30 or 60fps?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Gilles Gagnonfps for youtube video - 30 or 60fps?
by on Nov 12, 2011 at 5:39:09 pm

In rendering an mp4 for the purpose of uploading to youtube, (1080i HD footage)

1. should I set the frame rate to 60fps?
2. should I keep the res at 1920x1080 or set it lower (want to maintain HD)

thanks for any tips...

Gilles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: fps for youtube video - 30 or 60fps?
by on Nov 12, 2011 at 6:10:33 pm

Just use the Internet 1920x1080-30p preset and you're all set.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gilles GagnonRe: fps for youtube video - 30 or 60fps?
by on Nov 12, 2011 at 6:32:26 pm

Thanks Mike, Can I use a lower res if I want to have a smaller file size, quicker upload time?

I guess what I'm asking is do I have to make it that high a resolution since it's intended for the web/Youtube?

Gilles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 12, 2011 at 6:38:05 pm

Gilles, you can do anything you want with as the presets are just a starting point.
Most folks I know use the Internet 1280x720-30p preset as it's still HD and the quality is excellent.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 12, 2011 at 6:40:03 pm

Thanks Mike,

Just what I was looking for.

I'm assuming that the settings you recommended in your first post come from the Sony AVC template?

Gilles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 12, 2011 at 6:43:35 pm

Gilles, your assumption is correct.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 12, 2011 at 6:47:10 pm

Thanks Mike!

Gilles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 13, 2011 at 5:57:19 pm

Hey Mike!

I just checked and I don't have that preset under Sony AVC (mp4)
(SVP 11)
what am i missing?

Gilles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 13, 2011 at 7:13:43 pm

It's not you Gilles, it's Sony.
The forums are full of people running Pro 11 who are having problems with missing AVC mp4 presets.
All you can do is wait and hope that it gets fixed soon.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 13, 2011 at 8:19:47 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. At least I know I'm not losing it :)

Could you do a screen cap of the video settings you're using for this preset so I can mimic them in 11 please?

Gilles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 14, 2011 at 3:44:00 pm

Gilles, if you have Pro 10, it's the same thing.
Anyway, here they are.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 14, 2011 at 3:49:55 pm

Thanks so much Mike.

I have v9, but was using the v10 trial for a month. It has expired so I can't start it up. I've purchased the v11 upgrade.

I'm finding it somewhat unstable. it's crashed on me a few times and as you may have noticed from some posts, am having a painful experience with rendering.

I'm stuck now as I can't open projects which have been opened with v11, with v9.

A bit of a struggle, especially since I have some production deadlines to deal with.

Gilles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 14, 2011 at 7:28:11 pm

"'m stuck now as I can't open projects which have been opened with v11, with v9."

That makes no sense.
As long as you didn't save them with the same name, you should still be able to open them in Pro 9.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 14, 2011 at 7:33:13 pm

Mike,

I meant to say...

I've been working on footage using v11 and am having issues with v11. So edited footage was saved in v11, therefore I can't use v9 to open it and say... render in Main Concept under v9 since I can no longer do it in v11.

Does this make sense now?

Gilles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 14, 2011 at 7:35:30 pm

Sadly yes :(
Have you tried doing a copy/paste of a Pro 11 footage timeline to a Pro 9 timeline, saving that and then continuing to work on it?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 14, 2011 at 7:38:55 pm

No I haven't... good thought though Mike.

For this one I ended up creating a wmv file for the client.

I hope someone can offer a solution regarding my mp4 problems which I posted. :(

Gilles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 14, 2011 at 8:25:27 pm

"I hope someone can offer a solution regarding my mp4 problems which I posted. :("

The solution is to wait until Sony posts a fix as you're not the only one with this problem :(

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 14, 2011 at 8:27:34 pm

Will do... Thanks Mike.

Gilles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dan VolkerRe: fps for youtube video - 30 or 60fps?
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 1:00:00 pm

Mike,
What if you had some videos that needed to be viewed over the Internet, but had to be at BluRay or better quality...and in saying this, I am indicating that the encodes for BluRay fail to maintain the sharpness and accuracy of the original cineform avi, which I would really want to preserve..and many in my "destination" market, would put up with having to let the file buffer for a long time, given much higher data rate than normal...

I can not find any good info on how to make the highest quality encodes possible to place on youtube--or other destination if there is one with higher sharpness potential than youtube ( think Youtube beats Vimeo for the sharpness issue at high 1080p encode rates)

Thanks,
Dan V

see 1:33 seconds in to this for an example of poor motion prediction in the H264 failing to render the shapes of the baitfish properly..the cineform avi shows these as crisp and sharp..

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 15, 2011 at 2:18:02 pm

Dan, I recommend taking a look at the YouTube video called "Sony Vegas to Youtube Tutorial - A Better Method".
There are three different encoding methods discussed with the final one (the Best method) done by Nick Hope, a diver from the Thailand area.
Nick and the other guys have put a lot of research into trying to come up with the best methods to make online video look good and I hope you can get something useful from it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dan VolkerRe: fps for youtube video - 30 or 60fps?
by on Nov 15, 2011 at 5:07:06 pm

Thanks Mike,
I kind of wish he was using Sorenson Squeeze, since I already have it as an external solution....I read through the BEST version, and enjoyed the better understanding I have of those issues now.

There are a few things I don't see discussed.... Like why Vegas does not have a 30 fps template for Canon DLSR video at 1080P .... I would think there are plenty of other cameras that would have similar footage, and the template would be nice....wouldn't it be better to NOT have to adjust the frame rate of the source video at all ? And Youtube would be best served with 30 fps anyway....

Why is there so much emphasis on interlaced and 60i, when the internet videos or anything aimed at LCD TV's will be better at 30P ?

How come there are not more videographers unhappy with the compression artifacts and limited color space of the mpegs used for Blu Ray? It is terribly inferior to an original cineform 4-4-4 avi for Playback, so why is everyone willing to compromise so much?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 15, 2011 at 6:19:07 pm

"Like why Vegas does not have a 30 fps template for Canon DLSR video at 1080P"

You should be able to create your own custom template using the "Match Media Settings" option found in your Project Properties window.
If you've never done this before, go File - Properties, click the Match Media Settings icon (looks like a folder) at the top right of this window, browse to a folder containing your footage, click on any one of them, click Open (save this as a custom preset if you want) and then click OK.

"Why is there so much emphasis on interlaced and 60i, when the internet videos or anything aimed at LCD TV's will be better at 30P ?"

Interlaced video will take a long time before it's finally gone.
Besides, for things like sporting events, interlaced is, IMO, still better than progressive, especially for freeze frames and slo-mo.

"How come there are not more videographers unhappy with the compression artifacts and limited color space of the mpegs used for Blu Ray?"

I gave up a long time ago because I know that I will never be able to afford the broadcast gear necessary to maintain my signal at its maximum throughout the various stages it goes through during editing and then encoding for whatever purpose.
Most videographers are thrilled with the quality of a home-made Blu-ray disc.
Keep in mind that these same people regularly watch satellite TV and we know how compressed that is.

I started my television career in the mid 70's on black and white 1/2" reel-to-reel gear.
From there I went to 3/4", then miniDV and just this year tapeless HD.
Nothing is more frustrating than looking at a broadcast monitor in the control room, seeing how good things should look and then watching the playback from a 3/4" deck, especially if you've gone down a few generations :(

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 15, 2011 at 10:59:33 pm

Thanks for this Youtube link Mike!

Interesting that the chap recommends the MainConcept instead of the Sony AVC as an approach for getting the "good" result.

I thought most folks were using Sony AVC

Gilles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 16, 2011 at 2:15:50 pm

[Gilles Gagnon] "Interesting that the chap recommends the MainConcept instead of the Sony AVC as an approach for getting the "good" result.

I thought most folks were using Sony AVC"

Gilles, I don't even begin to understand why some some folks do things the way they do.
All I know is that a lot of work went into this tutorial by folks who play around with different techniques a lot more than I do so if they recommend it, then I'd do what they suggest.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 16, 2011 at 2:34:47 pm

I share your thoughts Mike.

As soon as I can get the Main Concept template working on v11, I'll use it with the settings suggested in the enlightening video.

Gilles

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]