Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Broadcast Colours filter and text events

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chris MorleyBroadcast Colours filter and text events
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 12:29:47 pm

When I apply the broadcast colours filter to a track containing video and text events I've noticed that during the text events (coloured text on black background)the filter is making the black background 'legal' ie a bit lighter than black, but then as the event fades to black the black is absolute black. This doesn't look right at all.

Does anyone know how to apply the filter to the empty, event-less, black space so that this doesn't happen anywhere on the timeline? Or any other suggestions?

Hope this makes sense!?

Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris MorleyRe: Broadcast Colours filter and text events
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 2:23:16 pm

I've just realised that the above only happens if i've rendered the text events as video files before dropping them onto the timeline, and not if the text events are pro titler.

Why doesn't the empty timeline 'black' conform to the broadcast colours restrictions??

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Broadcast Colours filter and text events
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 3:30:42 pm

It's a blank track with nothing on it and, in this case, nothing translates to a video level of 0-0-0.
What a lot of us do is create a custom solid black preset at 16-16-16, drop it on the timeline and stretch it out for the length of the project.
That way, even when you do a complete fade to black, it's black at the correct level.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 10, 2011 at 6:41:10 pm

Thanks Mike, you're often the person who replies to my posts so thanks again!

Just one more question though, about your solution: Won't that increase the render time quite a bit as i'll be adding another track? If not, great. If so, do you ever take the time to trim the black event so that it's only present where necessary?

Cheers

Chris.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bruce QuayleRe: Broadcast Colours filter and text events
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 8:48:08 pm

Hi Chris,
Personally, I add my Broadcast Colour correction to the Video Output FX button in the Video Preview window.
This then controls the colours and levels coming from all of your tracks and events and you shouldn't experience the issues you mention.

Cheers,
Bruce

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Broadcast Colours filter and text events
by on Nov 10, 2011 at 8:54:25 pm

[Chris Morley] " Won't that increase the render time quite a bit as i'll be adding another track"

The projects I do that I use this technique on are usually less than 10 min. so I don't worry about the extra render time as it's minor.

"...do you ever take the time to trim the black event so that it's only present where necessary?"

I don't but you can definitely do that as a render time saver.

Happy editing!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 10, 2011 at 9:33:28 pm

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Didn't think about the output fx!

Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]