Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Vegas Pro11 Upgrade system compatibility warning

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Brad WhiteVegas Pro11 Upgrade system compatibility warning
by on Nov 5, 2011 at 11:11:25 pm

I've been using Vegas Pro 9 and 10 for the last several years and generally happy.
Recently, Sonycreativesoftware.com sent me an email offering a Vegas Pro 11 "upgrade" for a great price plus some bonus features. I ordered it and just tried to install it. Short story, it does not work with an XP operating system; only with Vista and Win 7.
I know that now because I read the fine print on the box. However, the promotional email I received from Sony has no reference to "system requirements" and does not mention that Pro 11 will not work with XP.
I've been using XP for many years and have resisited going to Win 7 because XP has been very stable for me. I realize that I'm falling behind in technology and that Microsoft generally doesn't support XP any longer. However, converting to Win 7 on my current computer (3-4 years old) won't work without replacing my Intel motherboard (legacy) as it does not have drivers available for Win 7.
Sorry for the rant, but I wanted to alert other potential users of Pro 11 that they should confirm their computer platform is compatible before purchasing.
Brad White

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen MannRe: Vegas Pro11 Upgrade system compatibility warning
by on Nov 5, 2011 at 11:28:16 pm

I can see your point. I agree that nowhere in the email or on the order page does Sony tell the buyer that Version 11 won't work on a discontinued O/S.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo MikeRe: Vegas Pro11 Upgrade system compatibility warning
by on Nov 6, 2011 at 1:02:07 am

That seems uncalled for, Stephen. I mean, sure, we all have felt like mocking someone for not knowing that Windows XP is discontinued, and that Vegas 11 would (obviously) not work on it, but somehow it seems inappropriate to mock someone for merely not knowing something they hadn't researched-this forum is here to help people like that, not insinuate that they're some kind of idiot. And Brad's issue is peculiar enough to our narrow world of video editing that it doesn't seem worth condescending over.

http://www.scenethroughglass.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 6, 2011 at 2:21:32 am

[Angelo Mike] "That seems uncalled for, Stephen."

Actually, I do sympathize with Brad. I recently bought some software that also had no system requirements until I got to the download page. Only when I saw the download was a dnx file did I realize that is was for Mac. Brad *is* correct that nowhere on the email or on the purchase page does Sony say Win 7 or Vista only.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob DixRe: Vegas Pro11 Upgrade system compatibility warning
by on Nov 6, 2011 at 1:29:44 am

Hi Brad,

I did have an issue when moving to i7 Quad Core 64 bit Pro, Premiere Pro 1.5.1 which is 5 years old was losing files and some windows, as was Xp programs some 7 years old.
I installed Windows XP Mode with Windows virtual PC on the new workstation and everything worked as before.

Good luck.

Ps. I might add that Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11 runs H.264 mov high definition 1920 x 1080p clips and AVCHD , maybe faster than Adobe's CS5 5.5.2 and that is 64 bit?

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Vegas Pro11 Upgrade system compatibility warning
by on Nov 6, 2011 at 9:16:25 am

While the promo email didn't mention it, the Pro 11 page does.

Technical specifications

Vegas Pro 11 system requirements

Microsoft® Windows Vista® 32-bit or 64-bit SP2, or Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brad WhiteRe: Vegas Pro11 Upgrade system compatibility warning
by on Nov 6, 2011 at 10:37:13 pm

Thanks all for your comments. Again, my point in starting this thread was to give a heads up to others who may be considering upgrading to Vegas Pro 11.
Since Sony sent me an invitation to "upgrade", they obviously knew I was a current user of v10 (or earlier) which are compatibile with Win XP platforms. A courtesy note in the email could have noted that XP was not compatible, especially in light of the fact there was no "System Requirements" mentioned.
I'll continue to watch future posts regarding Pro 11 and decide later whether or not to upgrade my edit computers and OS.
Brad White

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Si TranRe: Vegas Pro11 Upgrade system compatibility warning
by on Mar 26, 2012 at 8:27:50 pm

I feel Brad's frustration as I'm still using XP Pro - despite my Dell M-6400 mobile workstation is ready for 64 bit OS. The main reason that I'm not ready for the conversion is largely due to all my 3D softwares (Autodesk Maya and 3ds Max) are 32 bit and I got them installed "gratis" as part of work pipeline from my previous employer. The upgrade to Windows 7 would render those softwares useless but the good news is that Windows 7 is available in both 32/64 bit also in XP mode(which would work in Brad's case or anyone that still uses 32 bit hardware and in favor of XP Pro workflow). But in my case, migration of my current 3D softwares' licenses to new OS are impossible since I don't have the original install discs(and I can't afford Maya or Max license which runs about 6K+ each). The painful part that I can relate with Brad is that 10 days ago, upon launching Vegas Pro 8 (I have version 9 but it never worked well), there was the pop-up about Vegas Pro 11 update promotional sale(also, no details about OS compatibility), the deal was too good to think twice therefore I bought it with FREE training discs. Now, I will have to wait until I'm ready with Windows7 upgrade along with all my 3D softwares to start using Vegas Pro 11!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 7, 2011 at 5:46:51 am

I have to take Brad's side on this. You can go from the email to the purchase page and never see any warning that Vegas 11 won't run on XP. If one has been running Vegas 6,7,8,9 and 10 on XP, then why would one look at the hardware requirements page before going to Version 11?

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff RovikRe: Vegas Pro11 Upgrade system compatibility warning
by on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:00:42 pm

I also have to 100% agree with Brad (and Stephen) on this one!! I too ordered Vegas Pro 11 through the email notice from Sony, fully expecting it to work with XP (as did Vegas Pro 10), and therefore never considered investigating the OS requirements, especially since there was NO mention of it by Sony in the email promo, not even in the fine print (it's hard to believe they "forgot" to mention such a significant requirement to this release of an existing well established product)!! I too have a decision to make - change operating systems or push back at Sony(?)

Jeff
Video Creations

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 17, 2011 at 8:12:26 pm

Jeff - If your PC will run Win7-64, then what's the hesitation? Win7-64 is by far the best windows release yet.

(Windows 8 is gonna suck big-time, but that's another thread).

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Royce MathewRe: Vegas Pro11 Upgrade system compatibility warning
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 12:57:58 pm

I have Vegas Pro 11 (64 bit) - running on Windows 7 64 bit machine.

The program kept crashing when using things like Title & Text, Chroma Keyer and even Color balance. It also crashed with NewBlue Plug in for Vegas.

Sony had me do all sorts of things - and it kept crashing.

On April 27, 2011, - I suddenly tried changing Vegas Pro 11 by using WINDOWS compatibility feature. (Right click the Icon of Vegas, choose Properties and then choose the Compatibility Tab) - The compatibility options are:

Windows Service 2008
Windows Vista
Windows Vista (Service Pack 1)
Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)
Windows 7

I decided on "Windows Vista"

THEN when I ran Vegas Pro 11 - both the Chroma Keyer and Color balance worked - and so far the program did NOT crash. I got it to render out too. I also tried “Titles & Text” and Vegas did NOT crash. NewBlue plug in also did NOT crash.

Could all this verify that Window 7/64 bit and Vegas Pro 64 bit are in conflict? I just sent off an email to Sony Support.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wolfgang AltmannRe: Vegas Pro11 Upgrade system compatibility warning
by on May 19, 2012 at 6:34:57 pm

You are a Genius. I've followed your procedure on my Win 7 64bit system with the same result. Whereas I had numerous crashes with FX of any kind I have so far had no problems after enabling Vista compatibility mode. Leaves the question open, wether it's worth moving on to the lates built (683) or not. I've read elsewhere that in made no differences in terms of crashes and actually made things worse for some. Did you get any response out of Sony?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]