Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Bruce QuayleHow do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Oct 26, 2011 at 11:56:12 pm

Hi guys,

I have been setting up my preferences for my new Vegas Pro 11, and under the video tab, I see a box for "GPU acceleration of video processing". This is listed as "Off" and I have no option to turn it on. Am I missing something, or is my GPU not accepted by Vegas.

I have a HP Pavilion with a i7 840Q processor and a NVIDIA G-Force GT 230M GPU.

Many thanks!

Cheers,
Bruce

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RhodenRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 12:14:03 am

If when you click on that GPU option, and you dont see any other option,
that means you dont have GPU Processing available on your system for
Vegas to use.

Steve Rhoden
(Cow Leader)
Film Maker
Filmex Creative Media.
1-876-832-4956
http://filmex-creative-media.blogspot.com/

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bruce QuayleRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 12:19:28 am

Thanks for your response Steve.

So I guess not all GPUs are recognised by Vegas? Is there anywhere one can see which ones are accepted, and what makes them acceptable?

Cheers,
Bruce

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Angelo MikeRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:08:04 am

Here you go.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/gpuacceleration

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Bruce QuayleRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:38:47 am

Thanks Angelo!

Cheers,
Bruce

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave BlankenshipRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 2:17:10 am

I have a pavilion with the radeon 6770M card, and vegas wouldn't recognize the card for GPU acceleration when I was using the HP video drivers.

After I updated with the video drivers stright from AMD, the GPU acceleration worked fine.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave HaynieRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:30:16 am

Yeah... drivers make a big difference. Both good and bad, sometimes.

I'm playing around with two GPUs right now: an AMD HD 6970 and a nVidia GeForce GTX570.

When I first got the GTX570 installed, the performance was disturbingly lower than the AMD on nearly everything. After the latest upgrade, things are better, though the AMD is still faster. AND one extra present... accelerated Main Concept CODECs seem to always crash.

The nVidia also seems to have a questionable video quality... hard to figure out how, this being a digital interface and all (DVI on the PC, HDMI on the monitors). But it looks like nothing much different than an analog display with a bit of impedance mis-match, so you see echos at high contrast transitions. That's probably going to be the deciding factor. I had an actual change to put Vegas 11 to work on a real job, and I think the nVidia display has been giving me a headache!

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike BrennanRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 3:51:29 pm

Hello Dave. I remember you from back in the Amiga days. Nice to see you on this forum !

I just bought a new 2600K PC and Vegas 10 prior to the release of 11. Off of the top of my head, it has an invidea 550 card.

Do you have Vegas 10 and 11 both installed on your computer, and is the display so bad that you may find yourself doing the project in vegas 10? Is the display in 11 OK if you turn the GPU acceleration off? Is the acceleration that you get with the Invidea worth the "headache" ;-)

I have a few projects that I need to kick out, and I'm pondering if I should get 11 or just stick with 10
for now.

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:31:06 pm

[Mike Brennan] "Hello Dave. I remember you from back in the Amiga days. Nice to see you on this forum !
"

Hi Mike... nice to be remembered for things I did that are way cooler than stuff I'm working on now (video stuff excluded, I am not planning to back to A/B roll editing and manual audio controlled by Scala MM400 and an Amiga 3000).

[Mike Brennan] "Do you have Vegas 10 and 11 both installed on your computer, and is the display so bad that you may find yourself doing the project in vegas 10? Is the display in 11 OK if you turn the GPU acceleration off? Is the acceleration that you get with the nVidia worth the "headache" ;-)"

The display quality is due to the nVidia hardware, not Vegas. As a videohead, I know that you eyes adapt to this stuff quickly enough, so now the nVidia display isn't giving me a headache anymore, but it's still pretty obvious. Like in typing this, black-on-white, I'm seeing some analog-like ghosting around the letters. Really something I haven't seen since going all-digital, it's kind of disturbing.

Could even be my cables.. but they work just dandy with the AMD card. I'm pretty ready to say the AMD HD6970 is faster enough than the nVidia GTX570 at all things Vegas to justify the slight limits I see with OpenCL only on the AMD vs. OpenCL and CUDA support on the nVidia. For example, the TMPGenc encoder I use sometimes... they claim CUDA accelerated support. But that's only applied to video filters you add, not the AVC rendering itself. I also hear that the new Neat Video gets about 2x improvement with a fast enough CUDA GPU. But it's faster anyway in Rev 3.0, and I don't use this enough for that to be the deciding factor (and now, with an HDSLR added to my camcorder collection, maybe low-light won't be the problem it once was).

As I almost discovered yesterday, going to the brand new Vegas can be a risk on a new project. Sony's strict issue with .veg files not being backward compatible makes it a problem to regress to Vegas 10, if I need to. You can start the project in Vegas 10, of course. And more than half the video work I do is not for significant pay, so the deadlines are usually less of an issue (yesterday's video was for "the day job", but fortunately I found a work-around for the one real bug I ran into).

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike BrennanRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Oct 29, 2011 at 4:13:59 pm

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. After reading soooo many troubling posts about Vegas 11, I think that
I'll sit it out for a bit. I can't take chances with projects at this point..

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dean MalbrathRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Feb 27, 2012 at 8:25:11 am

I just installed a GTX 570 and am very disappointed as well. My ATI Radeon 5570 seems to be faster with every test I run EXCEPT basic preview rendering in Vegas. The GTX plays the previews with no problems regardless of the effect or transition.

For rendering with the Sony mp4 option in Vegas 10, I can't get it to even recognize GPU processing. However, after some fiddling it is now showing a 2% GPU usage and a slightly faster render, but Vegas still doesn't officially recognize the GPU.

I'm in Asia and had to import the card (which is silly because they make them here) which means I had to pay a lot more for it (about $100 more). Looks like a waste of money. So bummed.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joaquim FerreiraRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Sep 13, 2012 at 9:30:17 pm

Hi! Where did you get the AMD video drivers for Radeon HD 6770M?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Thomas RoellRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Oct 27, 2011 at 12:15:18 pm

Late response here.

The Sony Website is of no big help ... It would be nice to have an explanation somewhere, why some older or newer cards are not supported and others are.

I'm somewhat ticked off as I got a Laptop specifically based upon the OpenCL 1.1 requirement, and now half a year later it turns out that it's not supported by Vegas, but works quite nice with the Adobe Mercury engine.

Reading over all the posts, it seems that vegas110.exe has hardcoded some device id list somewhere, or some OpenCL requirement. It would just be nice to expose this externally so that one could use say "GPU Caps Viewer" and then see why their GPU won't work.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2011 at 1:03:49 pm

By the way, even though the Radeon 6870 is listed as a compatible card, I couldn't get Vegas 11 to recognize it, even after updating the drivers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2011 at 3:02:54 pm

I'm pretty durn sure the HD6870 is working... that's one of two cards actually tested on Sony's benchmark page.

I assume you do know how to enable GPU acceleration in Vegas. Are you sure you have the OpenCLI ICD installed? Did you try another OpenCL program (for example, the Luxmark 1.0 benchmark)?

I'm asking to help, but also because I have yet to see an AMD driver package install correctly. I get crashes, warnings, etc. and never managed to get the "Vision Engine" Control Center to run (when I try to start it, I see nothing, but my system gets really unstable and eventually crashes -- wonderful). I do see OpenCL, but I did install that separately.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2011 at 4:22:29 pm

I didn't check any of that OpenCL compatibility that you mention, Dave. I'm able to turn GPU acceleration on with the GTS 450 that I bought to take advantage of GPU acceleration, though I only notice an improvement in performance in mpg rendering. I'm not even using Vegas 11 until I reformat my computer, which I'll do whenever the guy who built it for me gets me the Windows 7 installation disc.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:20:14 pm

The GPU acceleration is a spotty thing, what you'll actually see. I'm not done, but I'm qualifying both HD6970 and GTX570... they're roughly the same price, and about what I'm willing to spend.

I found, for example, that GPU acceleration could actually slow down preview... I got 57.4fps on AVCHD 720/60p video with Sony's Bright+Contrast plug-in applied, Vegas 11 (11% faster than Vegas 10... hurray!), but it dropped to 40fps using the HD6970 with GPU acceleration on. Go figure. On the other hand, layering four of these, converted to MXF MPEG-2, with transparency, I dropped to 2.4fps without the GPU. The HD6970 raised this to 5fps. But the GTX570 didn't change it one bit.

GPUs love special effects and animated stills. On a segment made from a video animation I did awhile back, CPU-only Vegas 11 did 5.1fps, with GPU acceleration and the HD6970, I got 14fps.

On Sony's VP11 Benchmark project, I see 8fps on plan Vegas 11, 28.5fps on the HD6970, 27.5fps on the GTX570.

Rendering can vary too. On a fairly straight AVCHD render, I saw the HD6970 acceleration slowing MainConcept MPEG-2 by 32%, but speeding up Sony AVC by 14.5%... this it the same project that has preview slowed by 22.5% ... go figure. Moving to that layered project, I see a 79.5% improvement on MainConcept MPEG-2, but Sony AVC only improved by 22%. The GTX570 actually crashed on GPU-mode MainConcept MPEG-2, but did 11% improvement on Sony AVC.

Rendering my animation to Sony AVC only improved 25%, despite the fairly dramatic preview speedup. But going to the Sony benchmark, I saw 118% improvement in AVC rendering with the HD6970, which is closer to the speedup I see in preview. The GTX570, which gave nearly the same preview boost, only did 52% improvement in rendering... and that with both CPU and GPU use higher than on the HD6970.

Not quite sure what all this means, only that, while GPU acceleration is real, it's not perfect, and sometimes not all that significant.

I also ran into a couple of bugs in Vegas 11. I'm getting the "Render stopped... I don't know why" type message for a number of presets that work just dandy in Vegas 10; in particular, Main Concept MPEG-2 renders at 50Mb/s, which seem to fail instantly. No idea here.

I also ran into one segment that was just unrenderable. This is an an animated slideshow I did yesterday (very rapidly... I found I had one less day to work on, our marketing guy had neglected to mention his deadline). At frame 907, rendering just froze. Didn't matter what I output to. Preview worked just dandy. GPU was not a factor. I may have preserved this, not sure -- again, I was in panic mode at the time, and I still had music to complete. I suffled some stuff around, switched out a transition or two, and it started working.

So I'm convinced, if nothing else, we have a N.X revision product here, and there may yet be bugs to solve.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2011 at 5:38:14 pm

How many "go figures" can Sony throw our away before it's unacceptable? I got delayed by about 12 hours trying to edit a big show when I switched to Vegas 11 (a mistake on my part). I'm editing on Vegas 10a because that seems to be the most reliable between 10 and 11, though at some point I may try running 9 again.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:24:01 pm

Everyone knows a new release risks bugs... it's the nature of the beast. This is why businesses typically don't update Windows until the SP1 level (if that).

And yeah, some of us take the risk. I KNEW I was taking a risk using Vegas 11 for my video completed yesterday, and I was nearly burned by it. Software is a complex things, and it's not as if Sony rushed this out or anything, just that certain bugs aren't always caught during the testing process.

The reason I've trusted Sony/Sonic Foundry all these years is because they do superior job of finding problems before a release, and a great job of fixing the product after the release. I've dealt with a number of companies who release a product too buggy to be useful, and then they're off working on the next major release, no bugs to be fixed. You don't always hear about them years later -- this isn't the kind of thing you can get away with for long.

As for Vegas, I found the "10" releases each an improvement.. 10e was to the point where I really didn't see bugs in general use. It may depend on what you do... Vegas 10-10d was always a failure with Cineform, and that was a big part of my workflow (and may yet be again, if they've really fixed it, but I've been using MXF instead recently).

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2011 at 6:10:13 pm

Very frustrating ... here is the info for NVIDIA Cards (if this is wrong, and somebody from Sony wants to jump in ...).

It appears that Vegas Pro 11 wants to have CUDA Compute Capability 2.0. If I fake that out on my Quadro FX2700M, playback doesn't work. So Vegas does require something that's only in CUDA Compute Capability 2.0. I had tried 280 and 285 drivers from NVIDIA. Works fine with a Quadro 5000.

There is the wiki that tells you which GPU hence is supported: http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus. So in a nutshell unless you have a FERMI type GPU this is not gonna work, despite Sony claiming otherwise ...

Hope that helps. Hope that Sony fixes this and allows CUDA Compute Capability 1.1 ...

Couple of other observations. I did a trial run with the MainConcept MP4 code of a short 720p clip, 1:13 in length, no effects just a few cuts. Anyway, on a Quadro FX2700M it takes 2:17, on a Quadro 5000 it takes 1:35. CPU only MainConcept takes for the same clip on the CPU took 9:03, while SonyAVC took 3:35. The host was kind of slow, either a 2.8GHz Core2 for the FX2700M or a 2.66GHz Core for the Quadro 5000. Video playback on the Quadro 5000 was somewhat stuttery as compared to the FX2700M, which I'd attribute to the GPU usage ...

- Thomas

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2011 at 7:17:07 pm

[Thomas Roell] "It appears that Vegas Pro 11 wants to have CUDA Compute Capability 2.0."

I think that's exactly what they said, albeit in different words. The GPU requirements page says:

requires a CUDA-enabled GPU and NVIDIA driver 270.xx or later with
a GeForce GTX 4xx Series or newer GPU.

I would claim that GTX 4xx series or newer, while not as scientifically descriptive as "CUDA Compute Capability 2.0", is saying precisely the same thing. I think Adobe's GPU support has very similar requirements.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Oct 27, 2011 at 8:45:39 pm

How cool is that, Sony ;-) I could swear up and down that the web-page said GT2xx on the weekend. I just checked the manual, and on page 19 it says GT2xx ...

Also I disagree that saying GTX 460 is good enough. There is the GT 440, which is a total lowend card, but still would work with Vegas ... Or how does a Quadro 2000 correlate there ?

What's even more frustrating is that the NVIDIA web page is in a few cases wrong as well, where a card is listed with 2.0, but is only 1.2 ... Quite a mess I'd say.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Malcolm MatuskyRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Oct 28, 2011 at 3:22:41 am

I just e-mailed Sony about the same think, in VP11 help it does say the 2xx series will work, but on-line it's 4xx series, probably correct on -line! Naturally I have a GTX250 card and was hoping it would work, not available in the drop down box even with updating all the drivers and the NVDIA software. Figures, more stuff to buy.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 28, 2011 at 3:05:29 pm

As I suggested, I think Sony's GPU spec is confusing... I just didn't realize they were saying different things in different places. If they're sensitive to nVidia spec like Compute Capability, that's exactly the spec they should be quoting. I have absolutely no idea how to relate consumer models (GeForce) to pro-models. I know how to look it up, on a unit by unit basis, but after all, nVidia does publish a nice chart of capbilities. Sony ought to point to that chart and say something like, "we support every card above this line" or "with this value or greater in that column".

Of course, if nVidia themselves doesn't understand what their chips will or won't do, that's not going to make things any easier...

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

David WilsonRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:13:18 am

Well, that doesn't seem to be entirely the case. I have had SVP11 recognize both a cheap Nvidia card as well as my new ASUS HD 6870, but then one day I turned off my PC and when I turned it back on later, SVP didn't recognize my 6870. I assume its some sort of driver issue again, but I don't understand how it see's it for several days, then with no changes on my part, it says GPU OFF without an ON option.

David M. Wilson, SCVU
Owner of CWC Video Production of Chicago and Northwest Indiana
http://www.cwcvideo.com
http://www.videopronow.com
http://www.chicagoland-videographer.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dan LindleyRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Oct 29, 2011 at 2:44:58 pm

Maybe this has already been answered for you but this only works when rendering as MP4 or Sony AVC. I am having NIGHTMARE render times with Pro 11!!! It's awful.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Malcolm MatuskyRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Nov 1, 2011 at 4:42:14 pm

Just downloaded the update to VP11 and now my graphics card is recognized by the software!

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Jay GorensteynRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Dec 20, 2011 at 2:52:13 pm

Okay, this is driving me mad. I have a Radeon HD 6790. After first installing Vegas everything was working fine, acceleration was great, and gave me a huge performance boost in preview and rendering. Then I ran into a video file that caused buggyness in the acceleration, with random blocks and green frames appearing when playing that file. I turned acceleration off just for working with this project, everything worked well (without acceleration), I finished the project, exported it, all is well. Now I go to re-enable my hardware acceleration - and it's not there anymore! Now all I get in the list is "off"! Updates Vegas to latest build 510 - still nothing. Updated video drivers - still nothing. Removed and re-installed - still nothing!

WTF?! It was working great just yesterday! Nothing changed! It's like after turning the feature off, it got removed from my system... What the hell, sony...

Anyone got any ideas?.. I'm at a loss here.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Banks PappasRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Jan 6, 2012 at 12:51:23 am

Same problem as many here... this quote is from the SCS website concerning GPU acceleration"

"AMD/ATI
Requires an OpenCL-enabled GPU and Catalyst driver 11.7 or later with a Radeon HD 57xx or higher GPU. If using a FirePro GPU, FirePro unified driver 8.85 or later is required."

I'm running a brand new Viao with 16GB RAM, i7 pro. with a Radeon HD 6630M with OpenCL enabled. I have no option for the GPU acceleration, only "OFF." SCS sent me to sony tech, to get driver updates... still nothing...

two hours with sony tech inside my computer with remote viewing control... no luck. updated everything. switchable graphics are configured to high performance. nothing...

Any ideas? I pledge to post any solution, and I ask my compatriots here to do the same...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jay GorensteynRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Jan 6, 2012 at 9:05:39 pm

Well... My issue got fixed when I installed the beta preview drivers from AMD (Catalyst 12.1a); suddenly my H/W acceleration returned to Vegas. God knows what was it that got it broken, but it's okay now. Weird.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Banks PappasRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Jan 6, 2012 at 10:02:03 pm

Thanks for the reply Jay... unfortunately, AMD says I have to contact my manufacturer for a driver update... which I did. Sony updated what they have, i think, to be their proprietary driver, and its still not on.

I thought going Sony hardware with Sony software would make everything 5 X 5... assuming their beta testing hardware at SCS would be Sony...

I am supposed to put in an another call to sony escalated Tier 2 tech support (hardware, not the SCS group)... Will let everyone know what happens.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dean MalbrathRe: How do I turn on GPU accelerated video processing?
by on Feb 27, 2012 at 10:20:59 am

Wanted to update.

I just moved from Vegas 10 to Vegas 11. Wow, what a difference. Now Vegas will see the GPU and my render times just got cut in 1/2.

Not to sound like a Sony salesman but if you're still on Vegas 10 and using GPU, you need to upgrade to 11.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/gpuacceleration

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]