Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

OT: pcie buss upgrade from x16 to V2.0 or v2.1 possible?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
bob tysonOT: pcie buss upgrade from x16 to V2.0 or v2.1 possible?
by on Oct 23, 2011 at 9:37:54 pm

Aloha gang..cannot do a complete rebuild at this time($), so want to upgrade my vid card on a gigabyte p35 board that has x16 buss and want to know if v2.0 and or v2.1 are options? Thanks for your time..bt
W7pro64,V10,8GB..etc

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave HaynieRe: OT: pcie buss upgrade from x16 to V2.0 or v2.1 possible?
by on Oct 23, 2011 at 10:56:25 pm

Ok... you're mixing specs here. PCI express is always a serial bus that runs between two devices, a card and a motherboard in this case. A slot can support 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, or 32 of these links; PCs usually limit the links to x16 for video cards, x4 or x1 for regular peripherals. The original 1.x PCIe supports 250MB/s per link; thus, one link is not quite twice as fast as regular PCI. The 2.x specs change this to 500MB/s per link.

All 1.x motherboards are supposed to work with 2.x cards; all 2.x mothetboards are supposed to work with 1.x cards. But you can't upgrade a device to the next spec.

BTW, the word is "bus" (a collection of signals) not "buss" (archaic synonym of "kiss").

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

bob tysonRe: OT: pcie buss upgrade from x16 to V2.0 or v2.1 possible?
by on Oct 24, 2011 at 12:33:08 am

Aloha Dave my bad for the "s". So 1x boards are supposed to work with 2x cards but you can't upgrade the device to the next spec. Is that acontradiction or am i not understanding..?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:33:02 am

Bus speed is a potential. Think of it like a monitor. I have a monitor here that displays 1920x1200 (actually, two), but a graphics card that can do 2560x1440 or more. When you plug them together, they negotiate capabilities (standard stuff over DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc) and agree to a resolution (aka, data rate) they can both support.

A PCI Express 2.x card is capable of supporting 500MB/s per link. Doesn't mean it has to ONLY support 500MB/s per link. So when you plug it into a PCIe 1.x board, the controller can support it, but only at the PCIe 1.x speed of 250MB/s per link.

Similarly, a PCIe 2.x main board will accept a PCI 1.x graphics card, but it will only use the lower rate for communications.

Same idea as your wireless network.. modern networks negotiate 802.11 a, b, g, or n connections, and from there choose one of a dozen or so rates at which to communicate, in this case dynamically, based on the quality of the current link.

Of course, I like to say "should work"... a correctly implemented PCIe board works in a PCIe slot of the proper width, regardless of the generation of the PCIe bus. But there's no telling if someone's made a design error that might get in the way here. Unlikely, but it doesn't hurt to check return policies. Or the support site for your particular main board or PC. Just sayin'...

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

bob tysonRe: OT: pcie buss upgrade from x16 to V2.0 or v2.1 possible?
by on Oct 24, 2011 at 3:58:40 am

Bottom line...no sence paying for 2.0 if it will only run at 1.0 because of the mobo..Thanks Dave..

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 24, 2011 at 11:29:32 pm

Basically, I woudn't worry about the PCIe speed. The speed of the interface isn't the only issue, or even the most important one. The on-board memory speed, number of stream processors, etc. has more of an impact on performance. Chances are, newer GPUs support 2.x speeds, so you may find the device you want based on other concerns has the 2.x interface. You get no benefit from that feature, so just ignore it, and consider the other issues.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]