Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

"Polished" Voice in songs?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Timothy Carr"Polished" Voice in songs?
by on Sep 30, 2011 at 2:32:09 pm

Hi all, How would i go about making that "Polished" feel that is in some songs? its almost like there voice is airbrushed. Its the thing that goes on during the chorus, and then when its not the chorus, the voice goes back to normal. Can i do it in Sony Vegas? If not is there any other software i can use?
Thanks,
Tim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave HaynieRe: "Polished" Voice in songs?
by on Sep 30, 2011 at 4:27:44 pm

There are a thousand things you can do... mention a specific part of a specific song, and maybe some of the folks around here can tell you what's being done.

There are some common treatments. Sometimes a chorus really is a chorus... a few background singers join in, creating a richer sound. Sometimes you just double the original singer -- record the chorus twice, using both together. Or use a Chorus plug-in to create a similar effect from just one voice. Sometimes you muck around with reverb.

Really, if you know what you want to hear, mess around with things. That's a good way to develop a sense of this stuff.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: "Polished" Voice in songs?
by on Sep 30, 2011 at 5:19:20 pm

I'd like to offer another suggestion and that is to have this done by a professional studio.
The guy I work with has his own home studio and does engineering and producing for a wide range of local and not so local people.
He can get done in a few hours (or less) what would take me a year and still not sound as good.
He has the gear and, more importantly, the skills and knowledge to "make it right".

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tyson OnagaRe: "Polished" Voice in songs?
by on Sep 30, 2011 at 9:49:32 pm

That "polished" sound is probably done with stuff like this:
http://www.tcelectronic.com/powercore.asp

or stuff like it ... which is why it is probably a great idea to follow Mike's advice.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ken MitchellRe: "Polished" Voice in songs?
by on Sep 30, 2011 at 7:12:41 pm

Do you have a song example?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Timothy CarrRe: "Polished" Voice in songs?
by on Oct 1, 2011 at 12:43:29 am

Thanks guys! I will try and look for a song that has this really well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Timothy CarrRe: "Polished" Voice in songs?
by on Oct 1, 2011 at 12:49:56 am

Ok i asked my friends son (a music nut) and he said that this song has it in the chorus and when he talks normally its not polished.

I dont know if you want a better quality video (better quality video on YouTube means better audio) but i couldn't find one. For all thoese people where youtube has been blocked, the song is called LoudNClear by Trudog. Or something like that.

How is this done?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Kevin McCarthyRe: "Polished" Voice in songs?
by on Oct 1, 2011 at 2:03:29 am

The predominate effect on that track is form of phasing. The vegas equivilent would be the flanging effect. There is also some delay and some distortion applied to the audio. Play with these effects and you should be able to get what you want. The "erie/spacey " effect is the flanger.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ken MitchellRe: "Polished" Voice in songs?
by on Oct 1, 2011 at 3:27:06 pm

When he is singing he is using pitch correction on his vocals... this causes the notes to "jump" directly to the correct note instead of slide or be slightly off... check out ANTARES software (autotune).This is what everyone is using..especially if they can't sing that well.

http://www.antarestech.com/products/auto-tune-evo.shtml

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: "Polished" Voice in songs?
by on Oct 1, 2011 at 4:23:56 pm

Even my teenage daughters can recognize an Autotuned song and they've come to hate it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave HaynieRe: "Polished" Voice in songs?
by on Oct 1, 2011 at 6:38:01 pm

Yeah, they're using Autotune as an effect there. Autotune is a phase vocoder, a function first built in 1966... back when you had to actually build them in hardware.

The original point of Autotune was to add small correction to vocals, so that singers (particularly mediocre singers) could be adjusted in pitch. Of course, this was supposed to be kept secret...

The plug-in as an effect was first popularized in Cher's 1998 song "Believe". It had some popularity in the late 90s and early 2000s, know back then as "The Cher Effect". It died down for awhile, but was resurrected by rapper turned R&B singer T-Pain, which pretty much uses it everywhere.

And of course, let's not forget the Gregory Brothers' "Auto-Tune the News": http://autotunethenews.com.

In short, this effect is all over the place, very distinctive and annoyingly overused. The plug-in is not THAT expensive, there's a time-limited download, you can find some phase vocoder VST freebies if you look around, though probably not as easy to use as Auto-Tune.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rob JamesRe: "Polished" Voice in songs?
by on Oct 3, 2011 at 3:57:02 am

As has already been mentioned Autotune is the major effect here, as annoying as it is. There also are a few other things going on. Firstly the lead vocal is doubled and panned right and left in the chorus, and the reverb is increased dramatically and Autotune is applied. But if you listen closely there is also the effect called "Vocoder" used on a low harmony of the main melody. All of these things combine together to create the effect you're talking about. Anyways, I would like to throw my hat into the ring for anyone needing Professional Audio recordings, whether it's effects or full-blown SoundTracks, I can do it all. I run a State-of-the-Art Recording Studio with the latest in Hardware and Software, and can Produce SoundTracks that rival any Hollywood Movie, at an extremely low cost. Think of me,when you need mind-blowing audio, done FAST, on a budget! I may be years behind you guys in Video Production, but I make up for it in Audio Production.

Rob,
http://www.robjames.net

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]