Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Sony Vegas VS Adobe Premiere Pro

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Justin LeybaSony Vegas VS Adobe Premiere Pro
by on Feb 7, 2011 at 4:00:17 pm

Ok, I'm a Vegas user and I am thinking of switching to Adobe Premiere Pro. I think that it is used more by professionals and whenever I look for video editing jobs, they tend to say that you need to be familiar with Adobe Premiere Pro.

I know that one drawback for the premiere pro cs5 is that you need to render before you can preview (which is time consuming), while in vegas you can just go and put effects without rendering. What is the good thing about rendering first? (Like FCP, you need to render first.)

So, which one should I use? Is it worth me switching over to the CS5?

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob RiceRe: Sony Vegas VS Adobe Premiere Pro
by on Feb 8, 2011 at 1:12:26 am

Justin, I use Vegas, FCP, and Premiere. My recommendation is a big waffle, because your preference should be based on your needs, not so much the opinion of people like me. 8-)

In terms of speed (of use, rendering, application of effects, etc. Vegas wins hands down. Vegas will also accept a wide variety of input formats, something I have to contend with. Shallower learning curve and tight, easy integration with the rendering tools all speak to Vegas.

I find FCP to be next in terms of ease of use. Rendering is slower (by a lot). I also see a slight edge over the other two in terms of pleasing color rendition. Excellent toolset.

If you want a totally integrated package with various external tools (the entire CD production set), then Premiere is your tool. It's also great at creating for the Flash and online markets. Learning curve is steep, while overall integration with the toolset is unsurpassed.

In the end, the majority of my work is in Vegas, as mostly speed is essential, and most of my work is straight video. When color rendition is the most critical, I opt for FCP. My team grabs Premiere when they are working on the growing number of projects we tackle that need a broad variety of high-quality renditions in all formats. We don't do this a lot yet, but the demand is growing. Neither Vegas nor FCP is quite in that league yet.

Other users will have a hundred other reasons for their preference, and they will be wedded to it. So, look carefully at what you need, and grab many grains of salt as the opinions roll in.

Good luck.

Bob Rice
Frameworx Media
frameworxmedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Sony Vegas VS Adobe Premiere Pro
by on Feb 8, 2011 at 2:07:09 pm

I agree with Bob. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to edit your own videos or are you trying to get a job in the industry? If you are trying to get a job then ask your prospective employers what they require. You will find a lot of FCP jobs as well. I would think that FCP skills would be more valuable than Premiere Pro sills but I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

I use Vegas Pro because it has the best workflow for my work. I get paid to deliver a final product. No one cares what tools I use. If you need to collaborate with others, then tool selection is more important. It doesn't hurt to learn a couple of NLE's. This will make you more valuable in the job market if you want to be an editor for hire. It all depends on what you want to do.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alf HannaRe: Sony Vegas VS Adobe Premiere Pro
by on Feb 9, 2011 at 6:15:21 am

Bob and John are absolutely correct. when I need to crank out a solo project fast, Vegas is it. When I need to 'play well with others' despite the fact that they may be a bunch of jerks who spout 'FCP RULES' well, I use FCP and give them what they want. It's ultimately about money, how much you can make how fast. I've convinced some die hard FCP people in my neck of the woods that they should go look beyond the normal place, and they are now out looking at Premiere. They just can't bring themselves to believe that Vegas could help them. Maybe if Sony renamed it SONY PRO EDITING TOOL FOR YOU, YOU HANDSOME PERSON.... (G)... But it's all only a tool, and you need to use the right tool for the right job. That may force you to the less efficient tool, but WTF. You need to make a living. You can come back to Vegas when you, like me, need to crank a job out fast and clean. It's easy. I have a dual switch on my monitors, and I can fast switch to the right tool without anyone knowing... And the customer has NEVER cared. Only the competing editors... "you edit with Vegas?" "Yes, why do you think I can charge less than you?" (G). have fun...we could all be "sweeping out a warehouse in west LA" as a songwriter once said, instead of arguing over which tool is best. Good news is that with Vegas, you can use one Windows 7 machine to run both tools. So just do it if you can afford two tools, and the extra add ons, like Boris if you are going to do Chroma key....

Ultimately, relax, grab a beer, and just enjoy the ride. As John said, the more tools you know, the more valuable you are.

Alf

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Justin LeybaRe: Sony Vegas VS Adobe Premiere Pro
by on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:04:28 pm

Thank you guys for all the comments and thoughts about this. I guess I'll be sticking with Vegas due to its speed, it's going to be time saving. And trying different NLE is also a good idea. Maybe I'll do that in the future! =))

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jody NixxRe: Sony Vegas VS Adobe Premiere Pro
by on Aug 24, 2011 at 4:50:54 pm

I have been using Vegas for a few years and I've really come to like it's ease of use. But...I've been trying to expand my horizons a bit...I've been giving Adobe Premiere a good try here for a couple days.

I do like the program. I like some of the ways they allow the user to get right down to the nitty gritty of some things. However..I just find that some things are nu-necessarily tedious. Things I can do in Vegas right there on the spot...it seem like I have to do them into After Effects.

After Effects is learning curve too. I think it a bit ridiculous to have to search for an answer as to how to turn on audio during a preview. Why in the name of time they set the program up that way is beyond me.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

leslie wandRe: Sony Vegas VS Adobe Premiere Pro
by on Apr 28, 2012 at 9:54:52 am

can anyone point me to a good learning / technical resource for a competent editor moving from vegas to ppro?

most ofg the stuff i've read, watched is hopeless in as much as it's usually long, waffling and not aimed at pro editors making the switch....

tia

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]