Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

How do I fix out of sync audio?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Tony MoulatsiotisHow do I fix out of sync audio?
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 1:46:57 am

Hi everyone,

Just before I describe the issue these are my system specs
Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Quad Core Phenom X4 3.4ghz
4 GB DDR2 800
Dual GTX 460 graphics cards
onboard realtek audio

And I'm using Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD

I'm new to using Sony Vegas, which is why I don't know/can't figure out how to fix this problem I'm having.

I record a lot of video game footage using the video recorder FRAPS. My computer is quite good, and I have experimented with many different recording settings in FRAPS, even lowering the FPS, resolution it records at, etc, and there is always an audio sync issue.

My problem is that for some reason, the audio gradually becomes more and more out of sync the longer my recording goes on for.

After 2 minutes it's approximately 0.5 seconds out of sync. In my case, the audio plays BEFORE the video does.

I was able to fix it pretty easily before because when I opened up the raw video file in Vegas, the audio track was showing slightly shorter than the video track, and I was able to just extend it out to the same time as the video file and it would fix the problem. I'm not sure what the actual action/function is called but I would un-group the video and audio tracks, then ctrl+left click drag the end of the audio track to match up with the video track.

For some reason though now, the audio and video tracks are showing the same length in my raw video file, but the audio is still out of sync by about the same amount as I mentioned before. As the recording goes on it gets more and more out of sync, so by the time I'm done with a 10 minute video it's about 2.5 seconds out of sync. Terrible!!!

Before I got Sony Vegas, I would use an audio delay in VirtualDub to try and get it as close as possible, but it was very crude, and didn't work very well. But other than the method in Sony Vegas (which no longer works because the tracks are the same length) I have no idea how to resolve this issue.

Is anyone able to give me some instruction on how I might go about correcting this issue?

I've tried splitting the audio track every ~1 minute and moving it to match up with the video, but then I end up with a bunch of places where no audio is playing, and the further into my video I get, the longer those periods of times are. I'm hoping there is a better way to do this?

Thanks,

-Tony

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeff SchroederRe: How do I fix out of sync audio?
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 4:42:29 am

There are thousands of audio/video combinations that work just fine in Vegas. Two source programs which don't work well are Fraps and Camtasia. My guess is that you are sampling your audio at 48KHz. Try changing the sampling rate from 48KHz to 44.1KHz. See if that works.

Jeff

http://www.narrowroadmedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Tony MoulatsiotisRe: How do I fix out of sync audio?
by on Dec 15, 2010 at 7:24:43 am

Well, in FRAPS I'm not able to manually set a sampling rate, but my sound card is set to 48KHz.

If I set my sound card to 44.1KHz that would effectively set FRAPS to 44.1KHz as well, yes?

I'll try that out and see how it affects my captures.

Thanks,

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]