Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Sony Vegas problem: "Stuttering"

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Dave MorganSony Vegas problem: "Stuttering"
by on May 21, 2010 at 7:21:31 pm

I'm having a bit of a problem when rendering my video.
Whenever I render a "slowed down" portion of the clip, it comes out stuttering/choppy. (Video. Not sound)

How do I make it so that the slowed down portion runs smoothly?
Such as when you slow down a clip in Windows Movie Maker.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jill BaangraRe: Sony Vegas problem: "Stuttering"
by on May 21, 2010 at 10:28:36 pm

Hi,

I have similar if not exactly the same issue. I have some footage which I reversed and slowed down.
If I render the footage back to its native form which is a m2t HiDef 1080i file...the stutter is there. The original file that I am editing is a HiDef M2T file which was taken off a Sony MiniDV 1080i camcorder using Vegas capture. If I reverse the footage and do NOT change the speed - its fine and there is no stutter. On further investigation...

The project settings are set to: HDV 1080-50i (1440x1080, 25.000 fps. I have tried all the changes in "field order", "motion blur" and "interlace method" - none of these seem to make a difference to this stutter, so I left these settings as the default (Upper field, Gaussian motion blue and blend fields for interlance method).

So then I started to look at the render settings...

The save type has to be (correct me if I am wrong): MainConcept MPEG-2 - since as far as I know, this will render the footage back as a native M2T with hopefully no loss in quality (depending on the template I use). The render template I use for this save type is 1080-50i. I have also tried 1080-60i and the problem still exists.

Then a BREAKTHROUGH...when I render the footage using as a save type as "video for Windows (AVI)" (which is what I would use for standard definition for DVD burning) and use a PAL DV or Widescreen PAL templatetemplate. hey presto! the footage is fine and there is NO more stuttering. But thats not good, since I want to render the footage back as HiDef M2T - which then I eventually want to import into DVD Architect to burn a blu-ray hidef disc.

I have tried burning the stuttering footage in DVD architect to a standard dvd...played the disc on a normal dvd player connected to TV - the stutter is still there. However it seems that standard definition render does not cause this.

Can anyone possibly thrown any light on this or give any advice?
I am still investigating and try more things as we speak.

Yours Hopingly
Jill

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy RasnicRe: Sony Vegas problem: "Stuttering"
by on May 22, 2010 at 4:36:37 pm

Look at the render templates field order. Is it the same as your original footage? Field order can cause this issue and when you reverse footage, sometimes (at least in previous versions of Vegas) the field order would be changed.

j razz

http://www.jrazzcreations.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jill BaangraRe: Sony Vegas problem: "Stuttering"
by on May 23, 2010 at 11:17:19 pm

As I mentioned before...I have already tried field order, there are only three settings (None, Upper and Lower) and I have tried them all.

I have found out something else though.
When I slowed the footage down and played it...render to MT2 it was fine and smooth. When I REVERSED that same slow motioned footage...thats when it jittered.

THEN I discovered the following: Right clicked on the footage in the video track, chose properties, ticked "Reduce Interlace Flicker" and Disabled Resample. The media showed here the field order to be "LOWER" (even though I have set the project for it tbe "HIGHER". Then I re-rendererd...and can you believe it...the shakiness has gone. However the footage as slight visible blur

Still expermimenting

Big question, if you want to render your footage so it can be imported into DVD Architect for BluRay making. What are the best render settings/templates? Especially if your footage already is M2T file.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen MannRe: Sony Vegas problem: "Stuttering"
by on May 26, 2010 at 2:00:57 am

M2t is a compressed format - already a strain on most editing PC's. Any edits have to be re-encoded - every frame that is affected by the edits is re-encoded. And that takes even more processing power.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jill BaangraRe: Sony Vegas problem: "Stuttering" - capture !!!!
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 7:33:28 am

Hi Stephen, thanks for that info, I did not realise that.

I have an important question regarding this. I purposely purchased a Sony Hidef 1080i miniDV camcorder...believing that miniDV had better picture quality and more importantly was easier to edit with. In what format should I transfer this to my PC for Sony Vegas edit? And how?

When I use Sony Vegas Capture to capture hidef...it captures the footage as M2T files. If I capture the footage for standard definition, it then captures it as AVI files

Appreciate your help with this.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen MannRe: Sony Vegas problem: "Stuttering" - capture !!!!
by on Jun 7, 2010 at 5:26:18 pm

Your HDV/MiniDV camera will produce more editable files than any AVCHD camera. The quality of the images will be roughly the same.

If you are targeting an SD distribution, then do ahead and capture in DV.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]