Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Sony Vegas Poor rendering Quality

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Andrew ThomasSony Vegas Poor rendering Quality
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 5:45:42 pm

I am editing a music video and I rendered to test the quality on a standard definition television. In the preview window and when blown up to external monitor size the video looked great. After rendering to MPEG 2 and and putting it in a DVD player through a 19 inch STV, it looks terrible. In vegas the video looked as real as an MTV video on my tv it looked very cheesy and home movieish. I spent a lot of time color balancing and it looks like its not even on how ever all my transitions are in place. Whats going On? Additionally the wav file that the song is on is in sync in vegas and completely out of sync on the MPEG 2. Any idea how to fix these problems???

Footage shot on 3CCD Panasonic miniDV Standard Def
Rendered to MPEG 2

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Sony Vegas Poor rendering Quality
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 7:44:08 pm

For anything under 70 min. long, I always do a custom CBR setting (IMO, the default setting isn't that good) of 8,000,000.

Were you making your colour adjustments based on a properly calibrated video monitor or your computer monitor?
My guess is that you used your computer (different gamma than a TV set) which is why your colours aren't what you expect.

I've never had sync errors on a DVD.
Did you loop your project to ensure that both your audio and video were the exact same length?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Sony Vegas Poor rendering Quality
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 7:52:52 pm

As Mike pointed out, if you were color correcting for SD and you weren't using an external broadcast monitor connected via firewire, you will never get the colors correct.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Andrew ThomasRe: Sony Vegas Poor rendering Quality
by on Mar 26, 2010 at 10:09:32 pm

Yes I was using the computer monitor as the external. How can I color correct without a monitor if possible I am using filters not manually color correcting. They seem to not be taking any effect on the output but look great in the preview monitor. Could you suggest the settings for good output for SD. I dont know much about bitrates so please be as specific as you can be. I do have access to DVD Architect 4.5. I dont have a monitor or access to one however I do Is there a way to rig a normal SD TV for this funtion with an adaptor?. I really need to finish this for school. Thanks a million guys!!! I really appreciate the help!!!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Sony Vegas Poor rendering Quality
by on Mar 27, 2010 at 12:18:06 pm

Yes I was using the computer monitor as the external.
Did you calibrate your computer monitor first? If not, how can you trust the gamma and colors? There really is no way to color correct for SD on a computer monitor anyway. They just don't have the same properties as a TV. If it's all you have, then you must at least calibrate your computer monitor as best you can. Use the color bars in Vegas for your adjustments. You will never get the PLUGE adjustment right because a computer monitor doesn't have the ability so don't go crazy over it. (I realize you don't know what that is yet, but the article I link to below will talk about adjusting the PLUGE)
I dont have a monitor or access to one however I do Is there a way to rig a normal SD TV for this funtion with an adaptor?
A TV is better than nothing. You could use your miniDV camer as a digital to analog converter. Since all DV cameras allow you to print back to tape, and some allow you to connect them to a TV you would connect the TV to your PC via the DV camera. From the PC use a firewire cable to the camera and from the camera use a Composite cable (Red, White, Yellow, RCA jacks) to the TV. Then you could use the preview to external monitor in Vegas to output your video to the firewire port.

As for calibrating the TV, here is a good article: Calibration and Adjustment

Make sure you let the TV warm up for 30 minutes before you calibrate it. It will not calibrate like a broadcast monitor because it won't give you all of the adjustments you need but just adjust it the best you can.
Could you suggest the settings for good output for SD. I dont know much about bitrates so please be as specific as you can be
Just use MainConcept MPEG-2 with the DVD Architect NTSC video stream. I assume you shot 4:3 with your miniDV camera. If you shot 16:9 then use the widescreen version of this template.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]