Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Vegas Codecs (Where to find)

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Laura KozikowskiVegas Codecs (Where to find)
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:15:20 am

Alright, I had previously been using Vegas on XP with the Community Codec pack and things were going fine, but after updating to 7 I am missing some codecs. I reinstalled the CC pack but no luck, so I uninstalled it and tried K-Lite, again no luck.

When dragging (or importing) video files, I am missing the audio. Gspot says it's mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC. Have been looking everywhere with no luck. Any ideas? Thanks...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Vegas Codecs (Where to find)
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 12:20:24 pm

I am missing the audio. Gspot says it's mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC. Have been looking everywhere with no luck
What is the file type? Vegas has separate decoders that handle each file type. Even if you have the codec installed, if the decoder is not expecting that codec to be in the file type then it won't be able to decode it.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Laura KozikowskiRe: Vegas Codecs (Where to find)
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 8:17:29 pm

Well I've used Youtube Downloader to grab some files off YouTube. They are .mp4 files. Gspot says:
mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
- isom: MP4 Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]
- avc1: MP4 Base w/ AVC ext [ISO 14496-12:2005]

Under audio codecs it lists:
mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC
Under video codecs it lists:
avc1

when I import/drag it into Vegas Pro 8.0, I'm left without the audio.

I'm a little new to the codecs, but I'm following everything said you said. Is there a way to change the association, if you will, so that Sony is aware it has the proper codec and tell it to look within the proper format? If that is the case, where I can find the codec I need and how do I go about changing Vegas?

If that isn't possible, what would be the best way (and best format) to convert these files into. Everything that I have tried that Vegas allows, ends up with very very poor quality. Of course, I'd prefer to not have to convert at all, but whatever needs to be done.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Vegas Codecs (Where to find)
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 8:26:48 pm

Are you using the latest version of Vegas 8 (it's 8.0c)?
I just did a download using the same software, ran it through GSpot, got the same results, dropped it on my Vegas Pro 8 timeline and both video and audio were there.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 3, 2010 at 8:31:35 pm

Vegas says...
Version 8 (Build 144) C.2007

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Vegas Codecs (Where to find)
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 8:55:08 pm

That's very strange.
The only codec pack I have installed on this machine is ffdshow.
You could try installing it and see if it helps.
It's a trusted piece of software from a trusted site so there's no worries about corrupting anything.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 3, 2010 at 9:28:40 pm

No change :(

Is there a way to see what codecs Vegas has associated with what formats? Then at least it could be determined if it's an issue with Vegas recognizing it or with the codec itself not being found.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joe PerryRe: Vegas Codecs (Where to find)
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 11:14:37 pm

Unless I missed something - I don't think anyone has answered your question of "is there a place where you could see which codec is registered or missing". Is it a registry location? Is there a place where you can see which codec's you have?
I get different results on different machines using the same Vegas versions, so I know it has to do with what software is loaded and recognized by Vegas. I too am having the same problem and have not solved it yet. Any help would be appreciated

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joe PerryRe: Vegas Codecs (Where to find)
by on Feb 3, 2010 at 11:25:02 pm

HD - H.264 Video (*.mp4) - video - no audio
HD - MPEG-4 Movie(*.mp4) - video - no audio
D WMV Video (*.wmv) - video and audio

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]