Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Mute turns audio volume down but not off

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Arnold HowardMute turns audio volume down but not off
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:54:33 pm

Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 question:

I would like to turn off the audio in several clips. The volume bar, when lowered all the way, does not completely turn off the audio. Neither does the audio mute button. You can still hear a muffled, low-volume audio. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Arnold

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Graham BernardRe: Mute turns audio volume down but not off
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 5:12:29 pm

Do you still SEE any flickering/movement/activity in the Audio Fader?

Grazie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Arnold HowardRe: Mute turns audio volume down but not off
by on Nov 19, 2009 at 6:55:59 pm

No.

Arnold

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 19, 2009 at 7:57:32 pm

You don't see any flickering, but you can still hear output?

I have just run my copy of Studio and it is either ON or OFF or somewhere inbetween. But definitely the audio is gone when the track is muted or the track is turned way low.

You couldn't possibly have ANOTHER track operating with a copy of the audio? Could you?

How about posting a screen grab of your timeline here?

Grazie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:38:42 pm

Thanks for responding, Grazie. I don't have another audio track open. Screen grab:

audiomute.jpg

Thanks,
Arnold

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 20, 2009 at 4:59:48 am

OK . . Several things immediately come to mind:

1] You have decided to use multiple, individual Audio Event Gain Level controls. Why? I'm guessing here, but as you are simply "ducking" the Music under the Voice, ( I'm also guessing here you need to rename the Audio tracks to reflect just what is in them?), I'd be using ONE Audio Volume Level Envelop and adjust that by placing in Points just where I'd be wanting to lower the "music". Now, if your Voice track needs adjustment you could ALSO use an Audio Volume Envelop in that too!

2] I can see several places where the Event Gain levels aren't the same? Some are partially raised. Can you see them? Is there a reason for this?

3] Why have the Track Audio Level swung way over to the right? Why are you doing that? While you have the Events Volume Gain set to "-inf".

OK, start over and see if you get the same issue when you do. So:-

A] Reset all the reduced Audio Events to 0.0db

B] Insert an Audio Envelop and use points to reduce the Audio at Time points along the Timeline

IMO you have the makings of an uncontrollable situation that is resulting in, at the very least, creating editing difficulties and what is difficult here, making any audit of an error both difficult and confusing. Sure, you can apply this approach, but I can't, at present see any reason why you are getting audio bleeding through - SO LONG AS all your reduced Gains are set at -inf, which, from a cursory viewing, I can't honestly confirm nor deny - and neither can you? I cite at least 3 Events which are partially lifted from -inf.

I can see you are doing a technical "tutorial", and I am guessing you are using some background music to help it along - good!

Save and make a copy of your original project, and do the adjustments to that. This will give you a reference point to come back to. Give yourself a fighting chance and reset ALL your Audio events back to 0.0db and employ a single Audio Envelope throughout the project and add points. This will give you far more control. Have done anything to the underlying Audio Event? Have you "Normalised" the Audio Media?

One small annoyance, which you could rightfully correct immediately, and that is to rename the Tracks so that they reflect the content? That's just a personal quibble on my part!

Grazie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 20, 2009 at 7:29:47 pm

Thanks for your help, Grazie.

I have renamed the audio tracks at your suggestion. That is a good idea.

The reason some of the event gain levels were higher is that I was raising the volume that way. I have now raised all the individual audio gain level controls back to 0.0db and added an audio envelope to the audio tracks. I have also set the audio track level headers to 0.0db.

No, I haven't done anything to the underlying audio event such as normalising.

I can still hear the section of audio that I want to shut off even with the audio envelope lowered all the way. I am using the Platinum Pro version of Vegas Movie Studio 9.

Thanks,
Arnold

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 21, 2009 at 8:13:00 am

Do you get this when you do a render? Can you HEAR this muffled sound AFTER a render? Just try a small piece to start with. You could also try rendering the WHOLE piece and binging that back to the timeline and see just where this "sound" creeps back in? Interesting, very interesting indeed ...

I suppose it could just be that your sound card/drivers are picking up something way outside of Vegas? Let's get a render done first - yeah?

Grazie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 21, 2009 at 8:29:27 am

Have you got another SOUND source working in the background? Radio/TV, some "other" input to your monitors? Get that render done and let's "hear" if you get a change? Yeah?

Grazie

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 23, 2009 at 5:03:00 pm

No, there are no other sounds coming to my monitor. After rendering the video to AVI, I could still hear the background noises in the two video clips.

Are there settings within Sony Vegas that would prevent mute from shutting off the sound? Maybe something in preferences is adjusted incorrectly.

Thanks,
Arnold

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]