Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

How to make DVDs work in all players

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Richard AllenHow to make DVDs work in all players
by on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:03:44 am

I just got done with a project for a client I hope to get a lot of work from in the future. I use Vegas7 and DVD 4.0 architect.

After weeks of work that included several hours of unpaid extra work (like any project I'm sure), the DVD wouldn't play correctly on the client’s player. I scrambled to explain it was because the player was either old or cheap. I showed it on a laptop and reassured it would play on most players. I was in the clear until I got a call the next day that the client was at a friend’s house and it wouldn't play correctly again.

I burned at 2x (the lowest speed), the project is a mix of video and 2 picture slideshows (photo compilations)

My question is, is there anyway to increase the chances of guaranteed playback when using Vegas Architect.

I thought about:
changing the bit rate down to 5bit or lower
Forcing progressive scan
combining all video to one video and separating by chapter

Anybody else have suggestions?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brandon BrandRe: How to make DVDs work in all players
by on Oct 13, 2009 at 6:31:38 am

Hi Richard
What format dvd disc are you using?
If you are using dvd +r disc for your project, try using dvd -R disc as they support more of your older type dvd players, i'm sure most videographers use them for their dvd compilations.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Terry EsslingerRe: How to make DVDs work in all players
by on Oct 13, 2009 at 4:44:04 pm

Also people seem to have better luck with Taiyo Yuden or Verbatum discs.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Richard AllenRe: How to make DVDs work in all players
by on Oct 13, 2009 at 5:09:27 pm

DVD-R's Always

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 13, 2009 at 5:16:59 pm

How much difference can a name brand really mean? I've used tons of different names and haven't seem to have any difference in experience with my burns once they burn.

At any rate I'll try the one easiest to get to (Virbatium or how ever you spell it)

I was more wondering if there's a settings to try or if there is some do nots to avoid in order to make the DVD player's life easier.

I have Nero as an option but anybody who's used the two knows the limitation there. It may make a happier Disc but not the most professional.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rick RintalaRe: How to make DVDs work in all players
by on Oct 14, 2009 at 2:13:02 am

I use the Tayio Yudens DVD-R, they rock, never a problem.

Rick Rintala
Flying Finn Video Services
Bedford Texas
http://www.flyingfinnvideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave HaynieRe: How to make DVDs work in all players
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 7:18:34 pm

A brand name itself doesn't matter... but it's an indicator. Because the specifics of the DVD-R actually do matter.. I've sold over 500 videos on DVD, I have a decent history on this.

Some manufactures actually make their own discs, others basically buy in bulk on commodities markets, and sell you whatever they get that month as the same product. That can be a problem.. the Memorex disc you bought in January may not be the same you get in May, even if it has the same SKU.

The few companies that make their own, well, at least you have a chance at consistency. They do change the product from time to time, but if you buy a Taiyo Yuden disc, you know you're getting one from Reitek.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 15, 2009 at 12:10:45 am

WOW! I would have never thought a specific name brand would make that big of a difference. They weren't cheap (either because they weren't on sell or never go on sell) but I bought a 50 pack of Verbatim DVD-Rs and the burns play with no issues on all players so far.

My eyes are open I'm going to use the two name brands for everything. I've done so many large distro projects (25-100) that have several come back because people couldn't get them to play, it makes sick just thinking about it.

The Cow is the place to be, thanks guys.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: How to make DVDs work in all players
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 1:08:12 am

I stand to be corrected but it's my understanding that Verbatim and Taiyo-Yuden (my personal favourite) are the only two DVD companies that actually make what they sell.
The rest of them buy from a number of different factories and, as in most cases, you get what you pay for :-(
I deal with a lot of students and have had some of them tell me about DVDs that have gone bad after as little as 6 months.
I tell them that's what they get for buying that 100-pack that was on sale for $10 at the local big box store.

DVD Identifier is a tool that will give you a lot of information about the DVD including a media code.
Armed with the media code, go to this section of the Videohelp site and find out who the real manufacturer is.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dave HaynieRe: How to make DVDs work in all players
by on Oct 15, 2009 at 7:37:12 pm

Yeah.. it's important to know who's disc you actually have, even the specific disc you have, and how well it performs. Unfortunately, with may labels, you don't know. Verbatim makes their own, and also sells Mitsubishi... who also sell Verbatim. They must have some arrangement. Rietek (RiData) sells their own, as do Taiyo Yuden. Sony makes their own, but also labels other brands... same with TDK, Philips, and many others. Most don't make them at all.

It's less of an issue today, but if, like me, you were around at the dawn of DVD and DVD-R/+R, you have some battle scars.

Much of these were due to bugs in the original reference platform Toshiba put out, through the DVD Forum, for anyone interested in building a DVD player. Many if not most of the players from those days inherited the same kinds of problems. Some companies found these problems and corrected them, many did not. Some (Pioneer, for example) were there in the early days and did their own implementation from the spec. I had a very early Pioneer unit, and it played everything; DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW. That's is what happens if you have a bug-free DVD player, but few actually were bug free.

In fairness, things like the RW discs came out some time after DVD players shipped. An RW disc has a 25% reflectance... one bug in the original reference design had players automatically assuming a 2-layer disc if they saw such low levels reflected back.

You can get a sense of compatibility by checking out DVD-R or DVD+R types at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia. This is a good resource, as it relates hard media codes for different discs, as well as users' experiences with compatibility.

For the record, there was a time when Rietek's did very well.. I went through a few hundred of those. At some point, they got wonky, and I switched to Taiyo Yuden, which remains my choice today.

-Dave

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephen MannRe: How to make DVDs work in all players
by on Oct 16, 2009 at 3:55:43 am

One thing I found early on was that you should NEVER burn disks at the max burn speed. I always pick a mid-point between the min-max burn rates that DVDA offers. Very, very few coasters produced.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]