Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Can I render Vegas in H.264?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Norman WillisCan I render Vegas in H.264?
by on Jul 4, 2009 at 1:15:58 am

Hello.
How can I render a Vegas file as H.264?
Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Can I render Vegas in H.264?
by on Jul 4, 2009 at 2:36:05 pm

Use the Sony AVC or Main Concept AVC render type. If you have an older copy of Vegas your options will be limited to SD. Newer versions added HD support.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Norman WillisRe: Can I render Vegas in H.264?
by on Jul 4, 2009 at 3:14:24 pm

OK, I got it rendered. I'm not sure I got all the specs exactly right, but at least I got it posted on time.

You deserve a medal, or something.

I am looking forward to time to finish all of rest of the training DVD's.

Norman

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 4, 2009 at 3:17:40 pm

I heard that Sony AVC was for PSP? Or does it work for YouTube and Vimeo as well?

The goal is to upload SD, HQ and HD to Vimeo, YouTube, Metacafe and the rest.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
John RofranoRe: Can I render Vegas in H.264?
by on Jul 4, 2009 at 4:30:17 pm

> I heard that Sony AVC was for PSP? Or does it work for YouTube and Vimeo as well?

In Vegas 7 and earlier the Sony AVC encoder only had support for PSP size renders. Starting with Vegas Pro 8.0 it has support for full HD 1920x1080 Blu-ray rendering. YouTube and Vimeo require only 720p so Sony AVC is perfect for this as long as you have Vegas Pro 8.0 or 9.0.

~jr

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

by on Jul 5, 2009 at 7:01:38 am

>Starting with Vegas Pro 8.0 it has support for full HD 1920x1080 Blu-ray rendering. YouTube and Vimeo require only 720p so Sony AVC is perfect for this as long as you have Vegas Pro 8.0 or 9.0.

Excellent. I will give that a try come daylight. Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Brett Underberg-DavisRe: Pro 9: Rendering failures using MainConcept AVC/mp4?
by on Jul 18, 2009 at 9:16:05 am

Hopefully there's a fairly simple answer for this that won't call for waiting for the first patch to Pro 9.0.

From the time I installed Pro 9.0 a few weeks ago, I have been unable to render using the MainConcept AVC/AAC codec combo. Sony AVC has worked fine, but in Pro 8.0c I'd become accustomed to using MainConcept over the Sony version and would at least like to compare them. Since search did not reveal this as a screaming issue either here or on Sony's own forums, I'm guessing that perhaps the codecs simply did not install properly or I'm missing something else in the set up.

When I have tried rendering using any of the existing presets that came as part of the basic installation, a fatal exception occurs that crashes Vegas Pro 9 completely.

Following are the "problem details" that are provided in the problem report module that pops up after Vegas freezes:

Problem Description
Application Name: Vegas Pro
Application Version: Version 9.0 (Build 563)
Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
Fault Module: C:Program Files (x86)SonyVegas Pro 9.0FileIO Plug-Insmcmp4plugmcmp4plug.dll
Fault Address: 0x130420E5
Fault Offset: 0x000020E5

Fault Process Details
Process Path: C:Program Files (x86)SonyVegas Pro 9.0vegas90.exe
Process Version: Version 9.0 (Build 563)
Process Description: Vegas Pro
Process Image Date: 2009-04-17 (Fri Apr 17) 13:12:56

Any/all helpful suggestions appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Pro 9: Rendering failures using MainConcept AVC/mp4?
by on Jul 18, 2009 at 2:33:25 pm

I would report exceptions to Sony. If you can give them a reproducible test case, that's even better. Don't expect a fix to your problem in an update unless you report the problem.

~jr

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 18, 2009 at 11:58:59 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I've been reporting this repeatedly, at least by means of the crash reporter, in the most verbose formats that facility provides. Though, after having it happen and reporting it a few times after I installed 9.0 Pro, I did simply avoid MainConcept codecs for several weeks while learning the other new features of Pro 9.0

I was just asking here since the forums here seem to be somewhat more active than Sony's and I thought I might confirm whether others were seeing the same error, or could spot signs in the error details that might suggest an interim workaround, or give some sense whether a reinstall might be desirable or likely to fix the issue, or just a waste of time.

Since I can render adequately for now both for DVD production and streaming on vimeo or YouTube, and the MainConcept codecs are desirable but non-essential (in my case), I was hoping to get some sense of the issue that would tell me if a reinstall was likely to be a waste of time, considering the effects this has on my workflow for now.

Again, thank you...the crashes have been reported each time they've happened.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Norman WillisRe: Pro 9: Rendering failures using MainConcept AVC/mp4?
by on Jul 19, 2009 at 4:44:12 am

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I've got VP9 x32 and x64 both running very stable on fresh install of Vista 64 Ultimate on a Dell T3400 desktop. I'm brand new as an editor, but I expected a lot of crashes, and so far have not had a single one. (I'm having trouble getting Cineform NeoScene to stay running, but that is a separate issue.)

On the other hand, I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop that I cannot seem to get Vegas to do more than stay open a few minutes. I use the laptop as my 'test bed' machine, and I have loaded and unloaded a ton of stuff, and I suspect that a clean install of Vista would do wonders for it.

As I am doing fresh installs, I am doing a full disk image (to an external hard drive that I set off to one side) once I have everything installed, and up and running.

I'm just curious: how recent is your OS? Might a fresh re-install help? I know that is typically a groaner, because for me that would take a couple of days of nursing things: but with the addition of a clean disk image I am hoping that in the future, a clean 'drive wipe' won't take any more than a couple of hours.

It's just a question. I hope it helps.

Norman Willis
http://www.nazareneisrael.org
servant@nazareneisrael.org

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 19, 2009 at 3:47:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but to get one (non-essential) codec set to (possibly) work, I really can't justify the amount of lost time of a fresh OS install. If I were going to reinstall the OS I'd probably go for Windows 7 in any case, and frankly, I don't like wasting my time living on the bleeding edge any more. ;)

Also, please confirm to me that you have rendered with the Main Concept AVC presets (at least the built-in preset templates?) Just about everything in the rest of Vegas 9.0 is working, and working much better than Pro 8.0c ever worked. Since the MainConcept codecs DID work (and probably still work) in the Pro 8.0c installation I've left available, an OS reinstall seems a bit drastic and unnecessary at this point. If something really big was not working I'd certainly have to consider it, though. But since there's almost no way to make money with streaming video, (and the ways that do exist have nothing to do with rendering quality) the difference between the Sony AVC/AAC set and MainConcept is pretty non-essential for my needs, at least.

The machine is a little over one year old, and I intentionally have installed very little other software on it that is not directly usable for rendering. If I continue to research and find that there are many people using the MainConcept codecs without a hitch, I may resort to a reinstall of Vegas but reinstalling the OS is a last resort for me. Especially reinstalling Vista. I'm frankly looking forward to a day when it would be realistic to do my work in linux, but I suspect Win7 is probably in my future before that fantasy comes true.

Also, I wouldn't even try to run Vegas Pro 8.0 or 9.0 on a laptop myself. Their video drivers are never that stable and they run way too hot for my taste usually with very inadequate ventilation and cooling though I suppose you might put one on one of those cooling devices and see if you could keep it stable, for me, the adventure would be too much... I don't like losing any more work than I have to, given other options.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 19, 2009 at 5:01:52 pm

Hi Brett.

>>If I were going to reinstall the OS I'd probably go for Windows 7 in any case, and frankly, I don't like wasting my time living on the bleeding edge any more. ;)

I hear that. I think I am just arriving at that conclusion myself. like right now.

>>Also, please confirm to me that you have rendered with the Main Concept AVC presets (at least the built-in preset templates?)

Yes, I can render in Main Concept AVC; but not in Sony AVC. It seems I have the opposite problem that you have. I can get mine to work with Main Concept AVC/AAC with the iPod 640x480 preset, but not with anything else. I am dissatisfied with that, because it gives me letterboxing.

What I really want to use is the Sony AVC, Internet HD 1920 x 1080 30p preset, but every time I try to run that, it gets to about 4-5% progress on the render, and then tells me I am out of memory. That is interesting, because I've got 8GB of RAM, 4GB of ReadyBoost RAM and a 12 GB swap file. On top of that, Windows Task Manager tells me that physical RAM usage averages about 3.3GB, and I never saw it exceed 3.5GB, on Vista 64 Ultimate (so I know it can use all of that RAM). The problem persists on rebooting. I did have AVG Internet Security running in the background (and maybe I should shut that down), but that was about all.

>>Also, I wouldn't even try to run Vegas Pro 8.0 or 9.0 on a laptop myself. Their video drivers are never that stable and they run way too hot for my taste usually with very inadequate ventilation and cooling though I suppose you might put one on one of those cooling devices and see if you could keep it stable, for me, the adventure would be too much... I don't like losing any more work than I have to, given other options.

I hear that also. I use my laptop mostly for correspondence and 'test bed' stuff. I tried using the video card hard a couple of weeks back, and the machine got so hot it started failing to respond to the keypad properly. It lives on a cooling pad, and never comes off of it.

I think part of the problem is that the machine housing seems to be part plastic (Dell Inspiron E1720). I might try to use it if I had a metal bodied laptop housing (like MacBook Pro's have), and an external G-RAID device with Cineform codec running...but I am starting to think that all of my serious machines will forever be desktop models.

I have a Dell T3400 Workstation. I bought a spare side-panel on EBay for ten bucks, cut the meat out of it, and glued bug mesh in its place. Then I also added a superquiet fan to the back of the case, and the thing really, really vents. No more problems with heat! If only I could figure out something for the laptop.....

I have considered cutting into the case bigtime, and installing similar kinds of mesh, but then with a mobile device that might get exposed to outdoor environments, it really just is not worth it.

I will be very interested to see if we can solve the MainConcept issue for you, because I might learn something about using the Sony AVC codec myself (which is what I really want to use).

John, are you saying I should report this to Sony?

Norman Willis

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

John RofranoRe: Pro 9: Rendering failures using MainConcept AVC/mp4?
by on Jul 19, 2009 at 5:43:21 pm

> every time I try to run that, it gets to about 4-5% progress on the render, and then tells me I am out of memory.

Just curious... what is your Dynamic RAM Preview max set to in Vegas under Options| Preferences | Video? Try setting it to zero (0) before you render and see if that helps.

~jr

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 19, 2009 at 8:07:06 pm

OK, it's rendering (currently at 24%).

When I just set Dynamic RAM Preview to Zero it still conked out. But when I left Dynamic RAM Preview at zero, rebooted, and also set Audio in the render to 44,100, it works (it had been at 48,000).

So I am using Sony AVC, Internet 16:9 Widescreen HD 30p preset.

CPU and RAM usage is much lower than with the Main Concept/iPod 640x480 template. Right now, CPU usage is hovering between 55 and 62%, Memory usage is hovering at about 2.62GB.

Windows Task Manager reads:
Physical Memory (MB)
Total: 8124
Cached: @6000
Free: @ 66

Kernel Memory (MB)
Total 498
Paged 325
Nonpaged 174

I guess I am still curious why I would 'run low on memory' before, when I have 8GB of RAM plus 4GB ReadyBoost RAM installed, and a 12GB paging file?

And what, if anything, should I report to Sony?

Norman Willis

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 19, 2009 at 9:30:35 pm

I realize this advice was meant for Norman, but on the off chance that it might also help with my issue I did try it. Unlike past attempts it did seems that a very tiny bit of progress was made before crashing. Still, the crash reporter is suggesting that the issue is with the mcmp???.dll plugin that I think was listed in the crash report I posted before.

Actually, after resetting the reserved memory for prerendering to 0, then closing Vegas, restarting it and confirming the setting change had registered I did get the program to "pretend" to render using the MCMP4 fileIO plug-in, but considering I was using a "roll my own" preset that should have used very little memory (360x180 resolution, 30fps) and there the estimated rendering time just kept on multiplying the longer I let it run, I cancelled that process after a few minutes had passed and estimated rendering time was well in excess of what it took Sony AVC to render the same project at 720-30p. But it was interesting that the MainConcept IO plugin did NOT simply cause the crash I'd had in all cases before this.

Thanks for the input!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 19, 2009 at 9:41:06 pm

Update: Boosting the value back up to 256MB (less than what the setting had been before) seems to have enabled the render to progress, or at least to get started, at least using one of the sub-HD presets installed with Pro 9.0 thanks for pointing me in what seems to have been a helpful direction!

Here are the specs for my one successful render so far:

General
Complete name : M:Vidalbe09littlelight01mcX1.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
File size : 19.3 MiB
Duration : 4mn 28s
Overall bit rate : 604 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2009-07-19 21:41:43
Tagged date : UTC 2009-07-19 21:41:43

Video
ID : 2
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Baseline@L1.3
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 2 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 473 Kbps
Width : 368 pixels
Height : 208 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Standard : NTSC
Resolution : 24 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.206
Stream size : 15.1 MiB (78%)
Language : English

Audio
ID : 1
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : No
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 4.10 MiB (21%)
Language : English

However, when I tried to do a new render at something closer to 720p 30fps I still got the same crash. (I have rendered at least 50 videos for YouTube/vimeo using similar profiles under Vegas 8.0c, using the MCMP4 plugin or its equivalent in 8.0c, fwiw).

Perhaps I just don't have the RAM and processing power needed for doing it in 9.0? I only have 4GB RAM, not counting video RAM (512MB) on my NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT card. CPU is an Intel Core2 Quad Q6600.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 22, 2009 at 1:46:37 am

Looks like I posted my question just a few days too early. At least in my case, it seems that the first patch (9.0a) took care of the issues I was having with the MCMP4plug.dll... namely what was listed on the bugfix report as a crash related to dualpass rendering. For me, at least in the 32bit version just installed, the problem seems to have gone away and I just finished a 720-30p render (2-pass) a few hours ago with no obvious problems.

Thanks for all the helpful hints though. Some of them proved useful anyway and probably helped to further stabilize things for me. Mad props as always to the knowledgeable crew here!

I'm mainly adding this bit for reference for anyone who may come along who is not aware of the patch and is having similar issues. Would love to hear from Norman whether this patch addressed some of the problem's he's experiencing with the Sony AVC/AAC package.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 22, 2009 at 2:53:02 am

Hi Brett.

I saw the update, and am looking forward to installing it.

I am finishing a project, and hope to install it just after that (in about two days). I will try to let you know how it goes.

Glad to hear you got your problem solved! It is very encouraging.

Norman Willis

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 22, 2009 at 5:22:42 am

Norman,

Usually I expect a new release to be full of nasty bugs, so that was my first assumption in this case as well. Wishing you well with completing your project! (If anything I've been pleasantly surprised by how relatively minor most of the bugs have been, and glad to see a maintenance release coming out so soon with such a list of fixes).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]