Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

What type to render

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jim HeffingerWhat type to render
by on Jun 7, 2008 at 8:43:00 pm

I am make DVD's for our school. Some video files are 90 -120min long, some are not. If the file is small I render as AVI. If the video is too larger to fit on a DVD as AVI what format should I choose to get the best results?

Thanks,
Jim

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

STEVE RHODENRe: What type to render
by on Jun 7, 2008 at 11:57:25 pm

The MPEG 2 format using the DVD NTSC template.

Steve Rhoden
TNX EFFECTS STUDIOS.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ralph HajikRe: What type to render
by on Jun 8, 2008 at 4:09:03 am

Hi Jim,

Purchase dual layer disk. If it's to long, don't forget an intermission.

Ralph :)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Allen ZagelRe: What type to render
by on Jun 8, 2008 at 11:05:00 pm

[Jim Heffinger] " the video is too larger to fit on a DVD as AVI what format should I choose to get the best results?"

Are you saying that you actually burn AVI onto a DVD? I don't understand. To render files for a DVD requires MPEG-2 video stream and an audio stream in order to make it playable on a set top DVD poayer. (however lately some will play DivX format to).

What I used to od was if a video was 90 minutes of less, render it myself in Vegas, then bring the files into DVDA. If 2 hrs, I would render to AVI and let DVDA figure it out. But lately with Vegas 7 and 8 Pro I just use a bitrate calculator and do the MPEG rendering in Vegas.

I hope I understood you correctly?
Allen

ASX Media Group, Inc.
http://www.asxvideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim HeffingerRe: What type to render
by on Jun 8, 2008 at 11:27:22 pm

Thank you for your help.

Yes, I would render and AVI file and then as you say let DVDA figure it out.

When I render the Mpeg-2 file the quality does not seem all that great. I have the bitrate calculator but I am a bit unsure how to use the information I have.

Can you give me a little help as to how to do this. I'm assuming I tell Vegas to render in Mpeg-2 and then go into custom settings, is that right. If so, where do I put the bitrate. Is there any other setting I need to be concerned with?

Thanks again,
Jim Heffinger
Carlisle School

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: What type to render
by on Jun 9, 2008 at 1:58:37 am

For a variety of technical reasons (it has to do with the 4:1:1 colour space conversion to 4:2:0), rendering to MPEG-2 will give you better quality than rendering to AVI.
When you're making a DVD, anything you give to DVD Architect (even if it's AVI) will be converted to MPEG-2 so it's always better to give it the best possible signal.

Which bitrate calculator do you have?
Most of them are similar in operation in that you specify the type of DVD (single or dual layer), the program length, the audio type (PCM or AC-3) and whether you're using CBR (Constant Bit Rate) or VBR (Variable Bit Rate) settings.
Most folks stick to CBR unless the program is lengthy and has a wide exposure range.

As I said earlier, if the program is over 70 min. long, you have to customize the bitrate as the default settings will result in a file that's too large and will end up being recompressed in DVD Architect (something you don't want to do as the quality will drop even further).
Select MPEG-2 in the "Save as type" box and "DVD Architect NTSC video stream" in the "Template" box.
Click "Custom" next to this box and then "Video".
Click either the CBR or VBR option and enter the numbers from your bitrate calculator.
This can be saved as a preset by clicking in the "Template" box at the top of this tab, entering a unique name (90 min. DVD. for example) and clicking the "Save Template" icon (looks like a floppy disc).
This template will now be available for future use by clicking in the "Template" box after you select MPEG-2 in the "Save as type" box on the first "Render As" screen.
Render your audio using the default AC-3 template.
Make sure to give both files the same surname (myvideo.mpg & myvideo.ac3) and render them to the same folder.
That way, when you load the video file into DVD Architect, the audio file will load automatically.

One last thing. If you use a lot of stills in your projects, render using "Best" mode as this helps to maintain image quality.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 8, 2008 at 11:46:56 pm

Allen is right about using a bitrate calculator.
It's mandatory if your video is over 70 min. in length.
You use the numbers given to adjust the "Custom" settings options when you select an MPEG-2 render.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Allen ZagelRe: What type to render
by on Jun 9, 2008 at 12:07:56 pm

Thanks Mike
You said it all before I could and saved me all the typing.

Allen

ASX Media Group, Inc.
http://www.asxvideo.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 9, 2008 at 6:21:29 pm

Wow, the help here has been awesome.

I am very interested in learning this, I want to be able to produce the best product for our school and it's families. They will be very grateful.

a clarification:

The bitrate calculator I use came from videohelp.com. After entering the information it tells me the calculated bitrate is 6580 Kbits/s.

In Vegas, I select Mainconcept MPEG-2 template, DVD Architect NTSC Video stream. I select the custom video tab. Here is the question: If I select CBR - do I enter 6,580,000? If I select VBR what do I enter and where.

I also have a Plextor PX-708A DVD burner, it has a single layer burn speed of 4X. It will not burn dual layer. Should I invest in a faster drive, and dual layer? What brands are good for quality burns>

Thanks again!
Jim Heffinger
Carlisle School

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 9, 2008 at 9:49:30 pm

The bitrate calculator I use came from videohelp.com.

In that case, here's a few "tweaks" for you to do.
Set the Audio Bitrate" to 192 (DVD Architect default).
Now click the "Advanced Mode" button.
Set the "Bps" box to "1kbit=1024 bits" so that it more accurately reflects actual size.

After entering the information it tells me the calculated bitrate is 6580 Kbits/s.

So it's a 90 min. video.
After the changes suggested above, this should drop to 6426 Kbits.

If I select CBR - do I enter 6,580,000?

Because of the changes, enter 6,400,000 instead.
I always round the bitrate down to give me an extra margin of safety.

If I select VBR what do I enter and where.

VBR settings are entered on the same tab as the CBR settings.
Click the "Variable Bit Rate" button and you'll see these fields enabled.

I don't see a VBR mode on this calculator :-(
Here's a link to the calculator I use.
Note that this links to a zipped file.
Suggested tweaks to this one are the same as mentioned above.
Click the "Settings" button on the lower left of the opening screen.
You'll have to look for them but they are there.
Also, I changed the "Safety Margin" setting to 5%.

BTW, my bitrate calculator gives me the following settings for a 90 min. video:
CBR: 6168
VBR: 7712 6168 3696

Hope this helps further your "education" :-)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 9, 2008 at 10:17:58 pm

Great, thank you so much!

Jim Heffinger
Carlisle School

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS