Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Render Settings in HD

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Corey WhitleyRender Settings in HD
by on May 20, 2008 at 3:04:14 pm

Hello,

I just started a new job and have been given the task of jumping into the last editors work. The commercial I am working on has multiple takes with multiple tags and outputs. Right now I am having trouble getting a quality looking output from Vegas. I think this is due to me not knowing which settings would work best for rendering in HD.

When I would use the default HD settings for a Quicktime7 .mov, the picture remained crisp, but the light levels seemed to drop about 50%. Everything was super dark. I then found a couple of settings that seemed to work but the render was taking an exceptionally long time, and then causing the system to crash.

Does anyone have a template or custom setting they use while rendering HD footage out to a .mov other file format. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. Sony Vegas 8 with quad core pc. Sorensen Squeeze 3? I think. Haven't used the Sorensen before so don't know anything about it, but am pretty sure it is available. Thanks again.

Corey Whitley

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Corey WhitleyRe: Render Settings in HD
by on May 20, 2008 at 11:43:02 pm

Please Help. Thanks again.

Corey Whitley

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Danny HaysRe: Render Settings in HD
by on May 20, 2008 at 11:50:33 pm

Whats the final video gonna be watcheed on? If it a computer, render to Windows Media Video 9, 8 mbs template. If your going to use the videos again in vegas for more editing, use the Cineform avi HDV template with progressive settings for HDV, uncompressed if it's true HD. Danny

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2008 at 1:33:26 am

Thanks for posting Danny.

The output will be for commercial television.

I need a HD render setting to convert the commercial to a file type and have it put to tape.

Thanks again.

Corey Whitley

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2008 at 1:58:53 am

Commercial television is standard definition. What kind of tape are you putting it to? What kind of camera was used? HD or HDV? Regardless you'll have to down convert the video to standard definition. If the files are m2t files, you can put the video back to tape in the HDV format with an HDV camera. If you don't know what type of file the stations player uses, usually 720 x 480 mpeg-2, I would give them it on HDV tape and let them convert it to the needed format. Danny

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2008 at 2:57:23 pm

Once again, thanks for posting back.

The commercial spot is a :30 needed for different distributions. Web, SDTV and HDTV. Basically the small production company I am with was given a HD (720p) version of Maya created graphics as well as a SD version. Our job was to add text elements, work on timing, and of course various added graphics and multiple voice overs. One commercial 30 different ways type of thing.

I've been told that I need to create a HD file type (.mov.avi etc) so that it can be taken to a station and dumped onto a HD tape. You brought up a good point about the HD shooting. I'm brand new at this place so today I will check and see if there is a HD Cam we gan just print back to tape with. I'm assuming not, but will check.

What I really want to know is why does Vegas 8 have all of these HD template settings, and none of them seem to look very good? I am wondering if anyone working in HD video and Vegas 8 has created their own custom template for rendering HD video and what it is. I can't seem to find one that works without some sort of issue. Thanks again.

Corey Whitley

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 21, 2008 at 8:34:23 pm

OK, Render it out as a m2t file, The template is AVI HDV 1440 x 1080 29.97 and play it with VLC. VLC is a free player you can download for free right here.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html
This is one of the only players that will play m2t files well. After the video starts, pause it and under the video preferences, Interlaced, slelct blend and then play. You wont be disapointed. This format is HDV and can also be delivered on CD as a m2t data file. If you put back to tape with a camera, they will have to take it back off in the same format you can put on cd. This way you wont need an HDV camera. Danny

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 22, 2008 at 2:00:58 pm

Danny

You are a rock star. Thanks for your help.

Yesterday I rendered using the m2t settings bu with 1280 x 720 specs. It looks beautiful.

Will update.

Corey Whitley

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Herman LiraRe: Render Settings in HD
by on Jun 4, 2008 at 12:42:55 am

Hi Danny,

Thank you for all the great tips and help you are providing this forum with.

I am kind of in the same boat as Corey was! I just started working as an editor with a small producitn company which edits small ads for broadcast TV, both in SD and HD.

My problem right now id that I need to export my timeline which is HD source video (shot in HD, format = H.264, Attributes: 1920x1080x24) to QuickTime DVCPRO HD (1080i) format.

When I select the above default settings in Vegas 8, the colors of the output video are much darker than what i see in the time line! I have tried playing with may paramters in the render/custom section, but no luck!

Can you please help me with this?

Thanks,

Herman

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ryan HeisteiRe: Render Settings in HD
by on May 14, 2009 at 2:33:21 pm

Hi, i have the same sort of problem.

im working for a production company and we are just starting to make a film, i have been asked to help edit it and i need to know what settings to use when i start the project (must be full hd) and when i render it (it will be burned onto dvd after render).

Thanks in advance,
Ryan H

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]