Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

How to deinterlace interlaced video in vegas

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Emil SemanHow to deinterlace interlaced video in vegas
by on Jan 30, 2008 at 7:44:56 pm

I have got a HDD CAMCORDER Sony dcr-sr30e and it records interlaced videos. I want to deinterlace this video in Sony Vegas. How can i do it?

Sorry for my English, I am Slovak

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Laszlo KovacsRe: How to deinterlace interlaced video in vegas
by on Jan 30, 2008 at 8:57:13 pm

Hi,

In the project properties setting check deinterlace method,
set it to "blend" or "interpolate". Try a few seconds of rendering with each and see which works better.

After that render your video to a progressive format, and deinterlacing is done.

But may I ask WHY do you want to deinterlace your video? Usually it's better not to do it.

There's no problem with your English, for many on this forum english is not the native language ( including me :)) )

Regards

K.L.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Emil SemanRe: How to deinterlace interlaced video in vegas
by on Jan 31, 2008 at 12:44:12 pm

But what is better on interlaced video? I don't know. But deinterlaced video doesn't have stripes when i am playing it on computer. This is the reason why i want to deinterlace it.

btw. My camera is recording in mpeg2.

But thank you very much. I can now deinterlace it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 31, 2008 at 9:00:47 pm

[Emil Seman] "But what is better on interlaced video?"

It contains more lot motion information, because it means
50 half frames per second.

If you're watching your video on a TV, you'll see a much smoother move if you keep it interlaced.

[Emil Seman] "But deinterlaced video doesn't have stripes when i am playing it on computer."

Don't care for the stripes, if you look at the DV-Avi.
If you end up in a DVD, which is interlaced, your player software will do the deinterlacing when you're playing it.

And if you watch it on TV from a topdesk player, you'll see the smoother move.

But if you always want to play it on the computer, render it to a progressive wmv, so Vegas does the deinterlacing for you during rendering.

Regards

K.L.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rick DolishnyRe: How to deinterlace interlaced video in vegas
by on Feb 1, 2008 at 3:53:20 pm

[Laszlo Kovacs] "But may I ask WHY do you want to deinterlace your video? Usually it's better not to do it."

I want to find the guy who though interlace was a good idea and throw a coconut on his head.

As confusing as interlace is now, with HD it gets worse.

The video industry had a chance to rewrite the rulebook, but instead over fifty years later we're still wondering how to deal with it.

Interlace sucks, it looks too clean compared to a lovely progressive quality the original poster is looking for, and as a graphic designer it only makes my life miserable.

---
Rick Dolishny
Discrete Editors COW Leader
http://www.thecreativeprocess.ca

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Douglas Spotted EagleRe: How to deinterlace interlaced video in vegas
by on Feb 1, 2008 at 3:57:48 pm

I want to find the guy who though interlace was a good idea and throw a coconut on his head.

He's already dead, buried about 3/4 of a mile from my house. :-)

Interlace was critical in the early days of television due to bandwidth, but you already knew that.
Interlace is critical in today's broadcasts due to bandwidth, but we're not using it as PsF broadcast footage, which is the right way to use what we've got now, IMO. It sure is a PITA tho.

Douglas Spotted Eagle
VASST

Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
Aerial Camera/Instructor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 1, 2008 at 5:11:16 pm

Hi,

Use a camcorder that's capable of recording progressive, then you'll have nothing to do with interlacing.

Once you shoot with a camera an interlaced video, the camcorder does not store the picture of a frame and store it interlaced, instead it makes expositions at every half frames,
so the half frames contain images cpatured at different times.
Assuming it's about PAL (standard def.), you can think of it like taking 50 fps at a lower resolution (720*288). In this case deinterlacing means to somhow interpolate the 2 frames, and drop one of them.

I think (and I'm quite sure at this point), it's better not to deinterlace. Of course you can do it, but if you do so, you will LOOSE some MOTION INFORMATION.
That's why looking at an interlaced and at a deinterlaced video on a CRT TV, the interlaced will have much smoother movements. (Especially panning and horizontal moving.)
This is my EXPERIENCE, and this is why I recommend against deinterlacing, unless there's a really good reason to do so.

I don't say interlacing is a good idea today.
The best were 50 or 60 fps full frame progressive with full HD resolution :)

Regards

K.L.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Douglas Spotted EagleRe: How to deinterlace interlaced video in vegas
by on Feb 1, 2008 at 5:22:54 pm

I don't say interlacing is a good idea today.

This must be qualified with application-specific information. You can't broadcast 60p 1080. Ain't gonna happen for a while. But it sure looks great on a Blu-ray disc.
For broadcast, interlacing is still a good idea for many reasons, but even if there were no such animal as an interlaced display, PsF (which uses interlacing techology) still benefits from interlacing. The difference is that you can't see the interlacing due to how it's implemented. If you're in PAL land, you already know this, yeah?

Douglas Spotted Eagle
VASST

Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
Aerial Camera/Instructor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Drake HatfieldRe: How to deinterlace interlaced video in vegas
by on Apr 23, 2011 at 5:45:02 pm

You all keep referring to motion on TVs.. What about nice LCDs? If I am taking footage someone shot that is interlaced (home video crappy camera, dv), and editing it within Vegas, then exporting it to DVD, then playing it on a super nice HD LCD tv... Why in the world would I still want it presented in interlaced format? Wouldn't I want to render it out progressive and have Vegas do the conversion and not rely on the player?? Wouldn't that be a higher quality product?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rob WijnhovenRe: How to deinterlace interlaced video in vegas
by on Jan 25, 2012 at 11:35:19 pm

If you want to deinterlace your video, I recommend to double the framerate.
Basically, every field is then turned into a complete video frame.
An interlaced source of 50i (50 fields/sec) is then turned into 50p (50 frames/second).
Motion video becomes smooth, compared to the motion jitter when sticking to the original framerate (25p in this case).

I wrote some text on my website, all can be accomplished with free, opensource software.
Most easy to do in linux, but the article I wrote explains how to do it in Windows.
http://robwijnhoven.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121%3As...

I noted however, that it is a bit tricky to convert existing projects.
Replacing the originally deinterlaced videos (25p) with the new 50p videos resulted in strange artifacts.
Then I noticed that the project settings were still on 25 fps.
Put them to 50 fps, and resulting video is super smooth.
Note however, that the effects have some trouble when changing the framerate.
I had to adjust EVERY titler effect I used (the NewBlueFX titler).
Updates to the project framerate are not passed to the effects apparently.
Anyway, just start new projects with the new, correct settings, and you are good to go!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]