Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Convert VOB without loss of quality

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Karl MillerConvert VOB without loss of quality
by on Jan 21, 2008 at 2:53:37 am

I have transferred many old VHS tapes to DVD. I bought the Vegas Movie Studio platimum edition to edit and enhance these DVDs.

As I first learned Vegas can't import a VOB file, I went through 3 other software packages to experiment with converting. I learned that only an AVI file won't lose quality during rendering, and DIVX seems like the preferred option (most manageable size without loss of quality). So I bought DIVX pro 6.8 to continue converting files.

I've read through other posts to learn DIVX 6.8 and Vegas aren't compatible, period. I can't import a DIVX file to movie studio, but I can import the same file to architect studio. If I import directly to architect studio, I can create a flawless copy of the original, but my goal was to edit before burning.

Is my goal of using Vegas to edit DVDs without losing quality too complicated? Seems like the key is starting with a high quality AVI file, but Vegas seems to prevent this from happening. I think I've experimented with every conversion and rendering option. MPG2, WMV, and some other AVI options (Panasonic, Cinepak) are not bad, but I found DIVX has the best quality for the file size.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Convert VOB without loss of quality
by on Jan 21, 2008 at 11:01:50 am

"As I first learned Vegas can't import a VOB file..."

Have you tried the "File - Import - DVD Camcorder Disc"feature?
It was originally designed for miniDVD discs but works just as well with full-sized DVDs. The key is be patient while the files load in.

As long as the original transfer from VHS to DVD looks OK, the new DVD should be OK as well. Try one and see if the quality is up to your expectations.

If all you want to do is cut out a few scenes, look at Womble and VideoReDo as they allow you to do this without re-encoding (which is what happens with Vegas).

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alice HohlRe: Convert VOB without loss of quality
by on Dec 15, 2008 at 7:07:01 pm

If the above does not work for you, try opening the video in Nero. This is a free or cheap program for CD burning.

Choose "Make or modify DVD/Video"

Then choose "Make CD" > "Video CD" (unlikely you would think of choosing CD, but trust me)

Then choose "Add Video Files"
Choose the VOB file you are converting. Once it is pulled in, drag it down to the timeline. Then hit "Export"
You will be able to choose AVI from the choices. Once you export as AVI, you can open Sony Movie Studio or whatever and import the AVI file.

After many attempts to work around this problem, this is what worked for me. I tried the solution posted above but couldn't get an audio track to import.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lee FrenchRe: Convert VOB without loss of quality
by on Apr 20, 2010 at 5:31:03 am

I don't know how you stumbled upon this "screwy" solution. I would have never thought to try it but glad you did, thanks for letting others know . . . it worked!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]