Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

How do you make a video with a transparent background?

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
cowcowcowcow
Borba FettHow do you make a video with a transparent background?
by on Nov 7, 2007 at 7:18:47 pm

I've spent the better part of the last 24 hours reading every forum I could find on this subject. But I'm still at square one. What I'm trying to achieve in the end is an swf file (flash) with a transparent background so I can put it on my websites homepage and have my actual website as the background. (The video is of me talking)

So last night I used my DVX100a and shot a 1-minute clip in front of a true green screen. I went into Vegas and used the chroma keyer to remove the green background. (Which made it look like a dark blue background) I chose an uncompressed .avi without the alpha channel as my rendering method.

I could go on with the details, but it's a mess. I just want to render the video out with a transparent background so I can bring it into flash and make an swf out of it with a transparent background.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+1

DSE/SpotRe: How do you make a video with a transparent background?
by on Nov 7, 2007 at 8:26:44 pm

1. Shoot
2. Use Chromakey, Mask tool, or secondary color corrector to create transparent areas.
3. Render as uncompressed avi and in Custom, select the "render Alpha Channel and Create OpenDML.

This will give you the transparent channel you want. Only a 32bit file can carry the alpha channel.
You could also output a sequential PNG with transparency.

Douglas Spotted Eagle
VASST

Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
Aerial Camera/Instructor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

JerryWRe: How do you make a video with a transparent background?
by on Nov 8, 2007 at 4:36:13 am

Go to:

http://www.digitalproducer.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=31596

that is the best Vegas Chroma instruction I ever found and it works well.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary VeyRe: How do you make a video with a transparent background?
by on Nov 28, 2007 at 9:16:04 am

THANK YOU very much! I was going crazy trying to figure out what format to render a video with alpha channel for import in Flash.

Thanks
Gary

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Holly O'NeilRe: How do you make a video with a transparent background?
by on May 21, 2008 at 9:05:32 pm

Hello Borba Fett,

I am in search of the same thing you were about creating a transparent background "on" my chroma key green screen in Vegas. We want to also import it into flash. I see the answer you got but it didn't work for us. Do you have any further insight?

The part selecting "render Alpha Channel" was greyed out and already checked it appeared. That was the only part of the directions we weren't able to influence.

Any suggestions? Thank you so very much, in advance, Holly

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Douglas Spotted EagleRe: How do you make a video with a transparent background?
by on May 21, 2008 at 10:38:04 pm

If you want to import it to Flash, you'll need to use the Uncompressed template, with the transparency enabled. There are other workflows, but this is the best way we've found.
http://www.liveoutloud.com/eventsAboutTeleseminars.php

Douglas Spotted Eagle
VASST

Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
Aerial Camera/Instructor

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 22, 2008 at 2:16:49 pm

Thanks so much. The color picker (eyedropper?) did take out the green. I rendered as uncompressed AVI. Where is the transparency enabler? In Flash? If so, where in Flash? Our Flash person doesn't know.

Can't thank you enough. Holly

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 22, 2008 at 5:43:02 pm

We have figured out how to render a transparent background using the chroma keyer! Thanks so much for your help! It was awesome! Holly

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Lee BatemanRe: How do you make a video with a transparent background?
by on May 28, 2008 at 10:25:39 pm

I am still having trouble where is the transparent setting? I have used crhoma keyer for projects before but not a transparent background for a video. I have tryed all suggestions above and I am not sure what to try next.
Thank you
Lee

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Edward TroxelRe: How do you make a video with a transparent background?
by on May 29, 2008 at 12:15:45 pm

You have to render to a format that can handle the alpha channel. Try rendering to Uncompressed AVI, go into the preferences, and make sure the option to include Alpha Channel is turned on.

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 29, 2008 at 1:44:46 pm

Well, we had success this way. Open the video from the chroma keyer movie icon on the video. It is the little icon on the bottom right. It opens up all kinds of options. It's the Video Event FX button. Then select the Chroma Keyer option. Then use the eydropper tool to take away green (or whatever color) background. You can even do this on the preview screen. Then to adjust the thresholds appropriately go ahead and place some video underneath the chroma key video to move thresholds till you get the best look. Then go ahead and delete that video. Then render as: Video for Windows AVI, use default template- uncompressed, then choose custom setting and then choose video rendering quallity best, then select the Video settings button and set at 720x480, field order none (progressive scan) and make sure render alpha channel (uncompressed window formats only) and create an OpenDML are checked. Then render. Voila! Thanks Douglas Spotted Eagle, Holly O'Neil

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 29, 2008 at 1:46:45 pm

Well, we had success this way. Open the video from the chroma keyer movie icon on the video. It is the little icon on the bottom right. It opens up all kinds of options. It's the Video Event FX button. Then select the Chroma Keyer option. Then use the eydropper tool to take away green (or whatever color) background. You can even do this on the preview screen. Then to adjust the thresholds appropriately go ahead and place some video underneath the chroma key video to move thresholds till you get the best look. Then go ahead and delete that video. Then render as: Video for Windows AVI, use default template- uncompressed, then choose custom setting and then choose video rendering quallity best, then select the Video settings button and set at 720x480, field order none (progressive scan) and make sure render alpha channel (uncompressed window formats only) and create an OpenDML are checked. Then render. Voila! Thanks Douglas Spotted Eagle, Holly O'Neil

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim BannonRe: How do you make a video with a transparent background?
by on Dec 7, 2011 at 8:41:02 am

This topic is so well covered here for Sony users, I hesitate to ask if anyone can refer me to a solution using Cyberlink's Power Director 9. (I have searched and posted in their forum)

I was led to this forum and appreciate the excellent dialog.

Thanx in advance for any "General Assistance" that might help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Elsie MorganRe: How do you make a video with a transparent background?
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 11:25:57 pm

Hi,

I tried everything you showed here but when I use dropper, i get rid of color leaving me a black background.

I appeared to ahve followed the rest of your directions but
when I rendered it and tried it in my website, it came up with the black background not a transparent one.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

EHM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 17, 2012 at 11:29:50 pm

Hi,
Replied to wrong link. Wanted it to go to you.

I tried everything you showed here but when I use dropper, i get rid of color leaving me a black background.

I appeared to ahve followed the rest of your directions but
when I rendered it and tried it in my website, it came up with the black background not a transparent one.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

EHM

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: How do you make a video with a transparent background?
by on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:04:56 am

Did you render it as uncompressed AVI?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 12:59:43 am

Yes, I rendered it as uncompressed avi.
when you remove the background, should it just show black in the view screen?

It ends up rendering as the same black background as when I removed the color.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 1:00:38 am

Place something under it to make sure that it is indeed transparent.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 1:08:56 am

It does not seem to become transparent.
I put a screen behind it and it does not show through when I remoe the color.
Suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 1:13:05 am

If you can, pleas post a high res screen shot from your preview window (set it to Best/Full and save as PNG) so that we can experiment and see where you're going wrong.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 1:35:10 am

here it is... if it attached.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jun 18, 2012 at 1:35:58 am

It didn't make it here :(

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]