Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

Fading multiple still images automatically

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
jsteinamiteFading multiple still images automatically
by on Jan 1, 2007 at 10:53:45 pm

Fading multiple still images automatically:

I'm pretty sure there is a feature that allows for auto-fading (in and out) of still images for an entire project without having to fade each manually. How do I do this?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer...

Jonathan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jeditdvRe: Fading multiple still images automatically
by on Jan 1, 2007 at 11:38:17 pm

To do the same process over and over again on multiple events, you typically would use a script. As with the "random transitions" mentioned earlier today, a script can also easily fade multiple events or even overlap multiple events to create crossfades. If you want a single script that can do all of the above (and much more), you can look at a script such as Excalibur. If you want to do some searching, you can find free scripts that will do many tasks - some of which can be found in the free scripts section at the link below my name or the list of scripts mentioned in the random transitions post.

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jsteinamiteRe: Fading multiple still images automatically
by on Jan 2, 2007 at 1:11:37 am

Thank you! This is great news. I don't know anything about writing scripts but I'm glad to hear that there is a way to learn to do this. Thanks again.

Jonathan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mike KujbidaRe: Fading multiple still images automatically
by on Jan 2, 2007 at 2:35:26 am

If I'm not mistaken, the script you're looking for is called Set Event Length And Crossfade.
It can be found at the link I posted in the "randome transitions on Vegas 7" thread.
Make sure to do a "Select All" events (CTRL+A) or this won't work properly.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2007 at 2:40:39 am

Thanks for this info. I'm looking forward to learning about using scripts.

Jonathan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2007 at 2:48:10 am

I was just looking at Vegas and couldn't find any info about how to use scripts. Is there somewhere online that I could learn this?

Jonathan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2007 at 3:24:58 am

From the Vegas 6.0 Help menu (same for Vegas 7.0):

Running a script
From the Tools menu, choose Scripting.

Choose a script from the submenu or choose Run Script from the submenu to browse to the script file (.vb or .js) you want to run.

Adding scripts to the Scripting menu
When you start the program, Vegas software looks at the Script Menu folder in the Vegas program folder to determine which scripts appear in the Scripting submenu. This folder is c:Program FilesSonyVegas 6.0Script Menu by default.

Add or delete scripts in the Script Menu folder to change the contents of the submenu.

From the Tools menu, choose Scripting, and then choose Rescan Script Menu Folder to update the menu.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2007 at 5:58:34 pm

Thanks for this info. I looked in the Tools menu and didn't see any options for Scripting. Is it hiding on me for some reason? How do I get it to show?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2007 at 7:05:51 pm

If you don't see "Scripting..." under the Tools menu then you're either running Vegas 3 or older OR one of the "Movie Studio" versions. The Movie Studio versions have many restrictions from the full versions - one of which is the lack of scripting.

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2007 at 7:26:50 pm

Hm. Interesting. It is indeed Vegas 7 Movie Suite. And I thought it was less restrictive than the non movie version. It goes to show you how much of an amatuer I am, I guess. Are the limitations significant for a newbie?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2007 at 9:49:52 pm

There are several limitations in the Movie Studio (including Movie Studio Platinum) versions. As you've seen, scripting is one of them. Other restrictions include that you're limited to 4 video and 4 audio tracks. The full version is unlimited on both. When rendering, you don't have access to many (all???) of the "Custom" settings. No AC3 encoder. Plus various other restrictions (I don't have a complete list of differences).

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2007 at 10:42:17 pm

Thanks again Edward. You know, I was testing out Vegas 6 recently (it wasn't Movie Studio) and it didn't have a "Make Movie" function and I didn't know enough about the software to actually complete the project. So I downloaded a trial version of 7 Platinum which I'm working with now since it had this Make Movie wizard.

With the other more complete versions, is there a way to complete a project without the wizard? Are the differences significant enough to warrent using the more comprehensive version, even at my beginner level? Sony vegas 6 maybe?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 3, 2007 at 3:46:21 pm

Instead of "Make Movie", the full version has File - Render As and lets you pick any of the available formats and also lets you change the settings as needed via the "Custom" button.

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Gary KleinerRe: Fading multiple still images automatically
by on Jan 2, 2007 at 3:26:32 am

Help > Index > Scripting

Gary Kleiner

Vegas Training and Tools.com

Learn Vegas and DVD Architect

http://www.VegasTrainingAndTools.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2007 at 5:02:38 pm

Several of my newsletters have scripting info. Plus there are links to additional scripting info on my site. Also, open other scripts to "see how things are done". Finally, simply ask questions.

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2007 at 5:55:55 pm

Thanks Edward!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2007 at 4:59:51 pm

Here's several scripts:

http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/ApplyTransV5.js
http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/FadeInOut1Second.js
http://www.jetdv.com/scripts/SetEventLength.js

There's many more in the "Free Scripts" section of my website.

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2007 at 11:33:15 am

As suggested by someone in another forum, maybe Jonathon just needs the basics of stills editing.

Options > Preferences > Editing.
Check the Box "Automatically overlap multiple selected media when added".
Set the time in the "Cut-to-overlap conversion" box (this will determine the length of the overlap between events).

Select the media in your Project Media and drag all the events to the timeline at once. The events will automatically give you a fade the length that you set.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 3, 2007 at 12:08:39 am

Gosh. I seriously DO need to get the basics of editing!

So, the "Automatically Overlap..." funtion that you were talking about is one that I know. But I'm intersted in simply fading one out and fading in the next. It sounds like Excalibur is the way to go for this. Several people have suggested it.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Jonathan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 3, 2007 at 12:48:07 am

"But I'm intersted in simply fading one out and fading in the next"

By that, I'm assuming you mean event #1 fades in, stays up for a few seconds, fades out, event #2 fades in, etc.
Am I correct?
Unless you have a specific reason for doing this, as a viewer, I would find it extremely distracting. Any slide show I've ever done has event #1 dissolving (proper terminology) into event #2, event #2 dissolving into event #3, etc.

If I'm mistaken, then definitely go for Excalibur. A lot of folks around here use it and are extremely happy with it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 3, 2007 at 4:23:01 am

Hm. Maybe you're right. I've gone back and forth and see your point. I think I'll try it and see how it looks. Like I said, I'm such a newbie with lots to learn...
Thanks again!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 3, 2007 at 4:06:23 pm

If fading to black between each really IS what you want to do, I posted a link to a fade in/out 1 second script yesterday that you can use to do this for free. I have many free scripts in the "Free Scripts" section of my site.

Edward Troxel
JETDV Scripts

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 3, 2007 at 7:54:44 pm

Thanks Edward. I need to check out the free scripts section. I've been exploring your site and love what I'm finding.

In the end, I think I may just do the crossfading. I think you're right about it being distracting as a viewer.

Jonathan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]