Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
SONY VEGAS:Sony Vegas TutorialsSony Vegas ForumArticlesBasics ForumBlack Magic Design ForumAJA Xena Forum

HDV Monitoring for color correction, I'm confused.

COW Forums : Sony Vegas

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Greg nossHDV Monitoring for color correction, I'm confused.
by on Nov 26, 2005 at 11:16:28 am

I'm getting ready to move into HDV editing but I'm a little confused about what to use for a broadcast monitor for color correction and finishing.

I was thinking of using a Matrox Pharelia(sp.) with the dual head and component out for monitoring. Good Idea or Bad Idea?

I was reading a bunch of threads about color correction and there was alot of discussion about using a 13" TV (This appeared to be a bad idea) VS a broadcast monitor. I've noticed Black magic has the HDLink that says you can use an LCD as a monitor for editing HD. All of the broadcast monitors I found were usually 720 or lower. I read an article about a 23" LCD HD Broadcast monitor but it was only $16,000.00 a little out of my budget.

This is what I think my options are but I'd like some input:

13" broadcast monitor w/720 line res.
LCD or Plasma HDTV
HDLink w/ something like a Dell ultrasharp 24" widescreen LCD w/1920 X 1200

Thanks in advance

Greg Noss

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy RochefortRe: HDV Monitoring for color correction, I'm confused.
by on Nov 26, 2005 at 11:59:38 am

Just the same dilemma I sat with a few weeks ago. I had been using a wiffy monitor for color correction purposes with no good results.

As far as monitors go, your first choice would be one which is calibrateable NB! - including a Blue Check function for checking chroma gain and phase!

Now you need to decide whether your delivery is HD or SD. At this moment in time, most are still delivering to SD, unless you do broadcast work and deliver HD. If you are delivering SD, you options become a little cheaper since you need only a SD monitor.

As I'm typing this, I'm seeing an advert on the same page for the new Panasonic 17" LCD monitor which I have seen in action - very coooolll! Even got a built in waveform monitor BUT it comes with a $3400 price tag! Also its a 1280 x 768 - still not pixel for pixel HDV!

Since my current delivery is to SD, I purchased a SD monitor with SDI inputs. Yes, its a 750 line but perfect for my current delivery platform. When HD becomes more common place, I'll get a HD monitor and use my SD monitor for SD work.

One device I am aiming towards is this little baby:
http://convergent-design.com/CD_Products_HDConnect.htm These guys seem to have their act together. Also got a brilliant SD box and they WORK with Vegas - a bit pricey but good kit.

I must be honest in that I am biased against the Blackmagic since what I have read so far hasn't impressed me.

Sooooo - where to from here?

SD or HD - make your choice and work from there.

Cheers

Jeremy

MJ Productions

MJ Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

YoyodyneRe: HDV Monitoring for color correction, I'm confused.
by on Nov 26, 2005 at 7:51:21 pm

A lot of people are using the Dell 2405. The hard part is previewing HDV from the timeline, from what I understand the APVe does not work with Vegas - you can't use the HDTV component out, it's a proprietary Matrox driver thing. The decklink is supposed to be awesome for preview but not really cheap - especially if your only working in HDV and don't need the SDI...

Right now I'm working on an experiment using SLI & two vid cards with Vegas preview to second monitor function. I'll try and report back how it goes.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Greg nossRe: HDV Monitoring for color correction, I'm confused.
by on Nov 27, 2005 at 8:27:38 am

How is the calibration done on the Dell 2405. All the stuff I"ve read about studio monitors, says there are extra adjustment controls on the studio monitors for calibration. Would an Apple cinema display have better color calibration? Yeah, it's about a grand more than the Dell but, it's money better spent if you don't have color issues when you deliver to clients.

I've also heard the black magic cards work well for monitoring. Vegas is supposed to be well integrated for use with the black magic cards and it is supposed to allow auto switching between HD and SD. Please let me know if I'm miss understanding their advertisements.

My Nephew worked at a Post facility that was using the Black Magic link. Maybe I'll see if he can get me in to talk with them to get some more feed back. I know they've been using it in production for over a year.

Jeremy, you said, "I am biased against the Blackmagic since what I have read so far hasn't impressed me." Is it just that it was not impressive or have you heard some negative feedback on the cards? Also, can you monitor the HDV on a 720 monitor even though it's not pixel for pixel?

I have to say I love this forum because you cut through all the ad hype and actually get R/W feedback. I appreciate everyones input.

Thanks,

Greg
elementalfusionsi.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jeremy RochefortRe: HDV Monitoring for color correction, I'm confused.
by on Nov 27, 2005 at 10:37:49 am

Jeremy, you said, "I am biased against the Blackmagic since what I have read so far hasn't impressed me." Is it just that it was not impressive or have you heard some negative feedback on the cards? Also, can you monitor the HDV on a 720 monitor even though it's not pixel for pixel?

Remember, this was a personal opinion and I am in no way knocking this card. The BM cards are rather specific on their PC requirements and that bothers me a bit. I don't want to build a new PC just to meet a cards' spec!! Just remember, the card does not accelerate your render process.

My belief is to try and future proof yourself as much as is possible in this ever changing technology world and maybe I'm trying too hard! But I'm damn sure gonna give it a good bash.

Cheers

Jeremy

MJ Productions

MJ Productions

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 27, 2005 at 11:21:18 am

[Jeremy Rochefort] "My belief is to try and future proof yourself as much as is possible in this ever changing technology world and maybe I'm trying too hard! But I'm damn sure gonna give it a good bash."

I didn't get the impression you were bashing the BM cards. I just wanted too know if you had heard something I hadn't about the cards. I in fact maybe building a new system, so that may not actually be a concern.

You can never try too hard to future proof, that is generally called prudence, and usually it is the intelligent people who exercise it. I believe that is the whole point of this forum, to learn from other's experiences.

As always your input is appreciated.

Greg Noss
elementalfusionsi.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Nov 27, 2005 at 8:30:09 am

Yoyodyne,

What kind of system specs. are you running on the SLI setup?

Thanks,

Greg
elementalfusionsi.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]