Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Retaining CC after encoding

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Michael SacciRetaining CC after encoding
by on Feb 14, 2012 at 6:18:56 pm

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work. Can yes even be done.

The workflow is for ingesting and converting, no editing. I'm using AJA products, Kona cards and soon the new IoXT. I'm testing capturing via AJA Xchange and FCP. I capture every SD and HD format tapes with CC embedded.

When I capture (ProRes for SD and XDCAM HD422 for HD) and open up the file in QT player, a closed caption track is present. QT Player will show CC when enabled.

Then I need to rewrap the XDCAM to MXF and the SD has to go to mpeg2 Program Stream. The SD also has to be changed to UPPER field first. Once the files are in these formats I don't know how to test them to see if they are okay, so I have to send them to place that handles the broadcasting via a Omneon system. They bring it into their system and give me the bad news.

The conversion is being done in Episode 6 (Have both macs and PC). I'm waiting on results from my last test in which I have the CC set to EIA-608. I'm attaching the task if it helps anyone see something I'm doing wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3695_cctest608.epitask.zip

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Rich RubaschRe: Retaining CC after encoding
by on Mar 5, 2012 at 1:13:54 am

Any chance you resolved this issue? I am still using v5 Episode but am curious if there is a solution for this exact same thing.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: Retaining CC after encoding
by on Mar 5, 2012 at 3:53:15 am

No, nothing I did would retain CC. Telestream support stepped and they too could not retain the CC. Telestream recommended moving up to Vantage which is more robust and a lot more expensive. In the end the people that do our play out are doing the converts themselves through FlipFactor. An even more robust and expensive product. They can my ProRes SD file with CC track as captured or the XDCAM HD as captured and they flip it to their play out spec.

It was frustrating because it seems like Episode should keep the CC or translate them into a usable format.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]