Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

First use of V6

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Mark UnderkoflerFirst use of V6
by on Dec 30, 2010 at 7:19:28 pm

Is it just me or do the output .mpg files seem extremely large? I'm sending a test :30 second spot to DG and it's 192megs going into Episode and 784megs coming out? Yeow!

I'm using an Apple ProRes 422 standard def file. This seems very inefficient... not to mention that uploading to DG becomes an hour long event.

Anybody have suggestions for a more efficient workflow to DG specs?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Craig SeemanRe: First use of V6
by on Jan 1, 2011 at 9:15:59 pm

Data rate and duration pretty define file size. With the correct settings the file size should be just under 100MB. Bit rate 18Mbps and a duration of 40 seconds with slate and black.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark UnderkoflerRe: First use of V6
by on Jan 2, 2011 at 9:37:18 pm

Craig,

That's pretty much what I figured. I used the DG Fastchannel setting from Telestream. Looks like data rate is 18Mps and duration is about 40 seconds.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 2, 2011 at 10:15:34 pm

Using Episode 6.0.2 I just tested 720x486 40 second DG formatted master Apple ProResHQ source file which is 281.7MB
Using DG preset the resultant file is 92.6MB as shown in OS 10.6.5 Finder.

I use VideoSpec and get slightly smaller numbers for the file size (which might be binary vs dec calculation). Cross check your encoded file. Look at size in Finder and then check the same using VideoSpec.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 3, 2011 at 2:47:21 pm

Something squirrely is going on. Everything I encode with the DG_Patch settings results in a file exactly 781,931,111 bytes. And yes the file IS that big.

Dimensions 720x512
MPEG-2
WAAITTTT A MINUTE!!! Something's amiss in the duration. It shows 5:45.

HUMMMMMM.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 3, 2011 at 3:32:52 pm

I'm using the DG_Patch setting. It's actually mine. I sent it to Telestream. It's rock solid for me and scores of others are using it so you need to look for some variable. I can't guess what it is with the info you've provided. Keep in mind I'm using Episode 6.0.2 as there was problems with the first iterations of 6.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 3, 2011 at 8:19:22 pm

I'm becoming a bit cheesed at Telestream. I spent $1000 on Episode 6 and can't get them to even open a support ticket. Is that extra? Perhaps for another $1000 I can get support.

I've put any number of files through and they all end up showing as humongous MPG 2 files almost 5 times the size of the original and all showing the same duration of 5:45.

This ain't brain surgery and I'd read the book if there was one... but what do you expect for a thousand bucks?

Reminds me of the Demotivator poster: "Customer Service... We're Not Happy Until You're Not Happy."

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 3, 2011 at 8:25:42 pm

In my experience if you fill out the support form on Telestream's site, they send you back an email response with a case number within 24 hours. Often that'll include what they're finding as well as requests for more information or files from you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 4, 2011 at 2:54:18 pm

Craig,
I received stellar help from Linda at Telestream. She sent me a new DG patch that so far has worked in version 5. I haven't tried it in version 6 yet.

I'd love to know what the difference in the two patch files is???

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 4, 2011 at 5:02:59 pm

There's only one DG_Patch file I know of. Examine the two and see what settings are different. Perhaps you had a corrupted settings file.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 4, 2011 at 6:54:40 pm

Craig,
I opened the new DG Patch that was send by Telestream to me. It shows:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE job SYSTEM "job.dtd">

<!--5.3-->

The version you sent me is:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE job SYSTEM "job.dtd">

<!--4.4.2-->

It is working.

Mark

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jan 4, 2011 at 7:28:06 pm

4.4.2 is a VERY OLD version. It doesn't take into account many new features. I may have sent that to you a very long time ago. The one Telestream sent you was also probably created by me as DG_Patch is my name for the preset.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]