Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PARTICLE ILLUSION:particle Illusion Forumparticle Illusion Tutorialsparticle IllusionAfter Effects ForumAutodesk Combustion Forum

Mac version: "-10" error message

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Alan LorenceMac version: "-10" error message
by on May 5, 2009 at 11:15:35 pm

If you're using the Mac version of particleIllusion 3.0 or particleIllusion SE and you're getting an error message something like: "License error: (-10)", here's what you should try.

First, have you changed anything on your system? External drives, hardware, software update, etc. If so, please let me know what you changed! Something is triggering the -10 error and I don't yet know what it is.

Usually I suggest the following when you get a -10:

1) Restart the computer. Sometimes that clears the error.

2) If you're using iDisk, eject it (whatever the correct terminology is). Some users have reported that iDisk interferes with the activation.

3) Last thing to do is delete the following file:
Users/Shared/Ticket/particleIllusion.Ticket
then activate again at the website.

Whenever you activate, record the "request number" and activation code. It's possible that your machine is toggling between 2 different "request numbers". If that's the case, if you have the corresponding activation code for each request number then you can just use that instead of going throught the activation process on the website every time.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark DysonRe: Mac version: "-10" error message
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 10:06:56 pm

Hello, Alan. Your post is a few years old but it's what came up when I Google this problem and so I hope it's still as relevant to you guys as it is to me.

I have a MacBook Pro, which I use in two locations. I activated Particle Illusion 3 in one location, and at the other got the License (-10) error. After some sleuthing I narrowed the problem: at the first location I was using an external Apple bluetooth keyboard, and at the second my MBP is plugged into a dock and using an Apple USB keyboard. It's the presence or absence of the Apple USB keyboard that is causing the license check to fail.

Now, I am faced with needing to re-authorize PI twice a day, as I am in both locations daily and the USB keyboard is only useful (actually, necessary) in one of them. Also, if I undock my MBP and try to use it in another room without the external keyboard at the second location I'll be stuck again.

In the three or so years since you posted this, have you guys fixed this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan LorenceRe: Mac version: "-10" error message
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 10:25:37 pm

Yes and no. It's weird that you're having the trouble with the keyboard, but it may be that the only solution at this time is to:

1) Dock (or undock), whichever works right now and gives no -10 error message. (I'll assume docked is working in this step)

2) In the Users/Shared/Ticket folder, duplicate particleIllusion.ticket and rename the copy "particleIllusion_docked.ticket"

3) Undock, then delete the particleIllusion.ticket file from Users/Shared/Ticket and activate again

4) In the Users/Shared/Ticket folder, duplicate particleIllusion.ticket and rename the copy "particleIllusion_undocked.ticket"

So now you have two ticket files, one that works when docked, one when undocked. Now it's just a matter of renaming (or copying) the correct version to "particleIllusion.ticket".

That's the workaround. The real solution is a new licensing system we're moving too very soon that shouldn't have that problem -- it's more robust and not as picky.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mark DysonRe: Mac version: "-10" error message
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 10:35:21 pm

Thank you for the extremely fast response (especially given my necropost). I'm grateful for the workaround for now, and more so for the news about the new licensing system.

Waiting for the day!

Thanks again!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]