Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
PARTICLE ILLUSION:particle Illusion Forumparticle Illusion Tutorialsparticle IllusionAfter Effects ForumAutodesk Combustion Forum

3.02 Questions

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
BobMoyer3.02 Questions
by on Oct 13, 2007 at 12:49:40 pm

Two problems:

1)I, too, am having a 'crash' when saving to an .avi file type. This is after using a particle on a path and trying to save it as an .avi in the main PI 3.02 program. Once I give it a name, and then select the file type as .AVI, I select 'save' and then the error msg. pops up and pI closes. I have not tried resetting anything in the registry as suggested for piRender. I did however, run the 'reset default settings' option just to try it. Same error msg. and then it closes.
System is XP (all updates are current). I just tried the piRender in case you might ask and it too crashes with the same error msg.

2) After launching 3.02 from START/All Programs/etc., it is not reflected in the "recent programs" of the START menu. What IS reflected is the "run with software rendering" .exe. And it in fact will in fact launch that option if selected in the recent programs. The only way to launch 'particeillusion 3.02 is to navigate to that item via the Start/All programs/etc. I do not have any shortcuts on my desktop. The other programs that were installed show up properly and will launch properly via the 'recent programs' section of the Start Menu.

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

jholsteRe: 3.02 Questions
by on Oct 13, 2007 at 1:48:10 pm

Bob,

1) What is the error message that pops up?

2) I am not sure how WinXP qualifies "running" a program but if pI302 has crashed every time you have attempted to run it maybe WinXP has not added it to the list of recent applications and you did say you ran "reset default settings" and it apparently ran and completed and is now in the list.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

BobMoyerRe: 3.02 Questions
by on Oct 13, 2007 at 2:18:19 pm

1)Sorry about not being specific about the error msg. But it was "PI encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." And then gives me the option to "Send Error Report" to Microsoft. When I select "Don't Send" it immediately closes PI 3.02.

2)PI 3.02 has only crashed when I tried to save to an .avi file type - not everytime. I even tried the 'WMV' format and it saved it just fine and I got another window pop up for more options. If I just exit after 'playing' with it, PI will behave correctly. However, it will NOT show up in the 'recent programs' section at all/ever! The option to "run with software rendering" shows up instead of the regular 3.02 program . I have openGL ability and it is recognized and will display correctly if I run the program by launching 3.02 from START/All Programs/etc. As you mentioned, I ran the "reset default settings" option and you are correct as it DID show up in the 'recent' section as did PI render, PI Batch, particle view. I realize that this is no big deal, I just thought you should know about it in case I am not the only person to experience this (evidently I am). I can still launch this but with a few more mouse clicks.

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 13, 2007 at 3:24:56 pm

Bob

1) Unfortunately that is a WinXP error message, not much help. Alan suggested, "You may want to install a tool like "codec sniper" -- something that will list all of your codecs, tell you if they are "ok" or "broken", and let you remove bad codecs."

2) I use the classic start menu but there are options for how many programs to list in the recent programs list as well as a clear button in the start menu you use.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 13, 2007 at 7:10:42 pm

I took your advice and 'code sniper' reported the following codec(?) as broken. Do you have any ideas as to what might occurr if I delete it? Also, do you have any idea where to find this file that is not broken and how to install it? I am really lost here!

Class - DirectShow
Name - MPEG-2Sections and Tables
Filename - %systemroot%system32mpeg2data.ax
FourCC - (blank)
Version - (blank)
Status - broken

"2) I use the classic start menu but there are options for how many programs to list in the recent programs list as well as a clear button in the start menu you use."

I use the start menu that came with XP (not the classic) and I have never had a program behave this way (meaning not showing up as recently run - let alone have it show up as 'run with software rendering'.

I really appreciate your help on this.

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 14, 2007 at 1:26:41 pm

Bob,

I am not sure what will happen if you delete the "broken" codec but what we hope will happen is you pI will now be able to save avi's.

With the start menu you will most likely have to "clear" the recently run programs list and then run pI and pI will show up in the list.

John

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 14, 2007 at 9:29:09 pm

Some additional information if that may help...

Evidently, that file below is installed as part of Directx 9.0c.

Class - DirectShow
Name - MPEG-2Sections and Tables
Filename - %systemroot%system32mpeg2data.ax
FourCC - (blank)
Version - (blank)
Status - broken

The utility that you suggested (codec sniper) also cautions that deleting a broken codec may destablize your system (I can't have that!) So, I downloaded a fresh version of Directx 9.0c and installed over the one that I had and the file is still reported as 'broken'.

Alan had recommended checking a registry value to someone else on the forum on 10/12 but he was having .avi trouble with piRender. Just for peace of mind I tried those remedies also but with the same crash and error msg. Mine crashed in piRender also when trying to render to .avi with the same msg. In the Registry, (HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarewondertouchpIllusionRenderSettingsAviCompressor) my value is already set to 0.

And lastly, even when I 'cleared' my start menu and launched PI 3.02, it still lists it as "run with software rendering". No mention of the name PartleIllusion or anything - just as I typed above in the quotes.

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Alan LorenceRe: 3.02 Questions
by on Oct 15, 2007 at 11:45:03 am

I'm not clear if you've run pIRender alone, or if you've been launching it from pI. If you haven't tried launching pIR alone, do that, select AVI output, but don't press the 'AVI Options' button -- just use whatever AVI setting it shows already.

If that works, then run pIR again, and this time press the AVI Options button.

Also, make sure you're loading a "nice" project -- use 640 x 480 as the stage size (because this is supported by most codecs). It doesn't matter what emitters are in the project -- in fact it doesn't even need emitters, although without emitters it's hard to see if you loaded the right project in pIR when it's rendering.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 15, 2007 at 4:29:19 pm

Alan,
I launch pIllusionRender (stand-alone program). Screen comes up with both project file box and output box empty. The current movie settings list ArcSoft Mpeg Writer. ALL other boxes and options are blank. Select render and I get "Error Opening Project File" If I navigate to a file to try (.ipf OR .ip3) ALL of the options become greyed out - even render. At this point, I can either close it (X in corner) or select AVI options which will crash it with "pIllusionRender has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." - Send/Don't Send. If I select the WMV Options, I get a list of Presets and Settings.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 15, 2007 at 5:30:33 pm

Additionally, I just checked the 'system information/multimedia/video codecs' and I do not have any codecs listed as "ArcSoft Mpeg Writer". All of my codecs are from Microsoft/Intel/Radius/Beepa P/L (Fraps Video Decompressor)/CineForm/Asus.

Is this any help?

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 15, 2007 at 10:58:20 pm

I am trying....Back to PI3.02, project size 640x480 created a particle on a path...could save it as .png series and/or .wmv file, select .avi and the previously mentioned crash occurrs.

Also, I resolved the broken codec issue and 'codec sniper' now reports all are 'ok'.

piRender (stand alone) also still crashes when selecting .avi.

Any ideas?

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 16, 2007 at 2:21:08 pm

When you run pIR this way (project file empty, output empty), what is showing in the "Current Movie Settings" section (top line only -- AVI. Second line is for WMV). Please let me know what it says so I can try to install it here and duplicate the problem.

Whatever it is, is it a codec that you normally use? Do you have other apps that you use to save AVIs? If so, select that codec in other apps and see what happens.

If it's not a codec that you normally use, I'd suggest removing it. If you installed it as part of a "codec pack" you may be able to uninstall it. If not you can use a tool like Codec Sniper to remove it.

There are so many codecs it's not possible for us to test all of them (of course). None of the beta testers had any of the problems you're having though (wish they did).

Also, the "render" button should not be enabled until both the project file and output fields are filled in. I have noticed that under some conditions this is not the case, but I recommend not pressing "render" until both project and output are filled in.

Alan.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 17, 2007 at 6:04:59 pm

Alan,

The only option that is displayed in the .avi window is "ArcSoft Mpeg Writer" and it is GREYED out. I believe that Arcsoft Movie Maker came pre-installed several years ago and I have never used it. I have since uninstalled it through the Control Panel. However, using G-Spot and Codec Sniper, I found several 'codec' files that were left behind that had both Arcsoft and ligos in the file name. I manually deleted them and rebooted. That same file appeared as my only option again. This time I ran "MaxRegistry Cleaner" to make sure they had been removed from the registry. I rebooted and again this fantom file showed up. AND IT STILL CRASHES AS BEFORE.

The only other program I have to create/save .avi files is Sony's Vegas 6. I use the option for "video for windows - NTSC DV".

As you mentioned above I filled out both the 'project and output'and the both the .avi options and render button became active. I select the .avi options and crash.

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 18, 2007 at 11:41:34 am

The displayed codec will be greyed out until you specify an AVI file as output (please read the updated docs). If you're saving an image file, both the AVI codec and WMV preset will be greyed out (think of it as "unhilighted").

The only thing I can think to try is to use the Registry key that was indicated in that other thread, and instead of setting it to "0", set it to "1". Then try "2", etc.

I still think the key to all of this is that you have a bad codec that is causing problems. Instead of using Codec Sniper, try just using Windows to list the codecs installed. In XP, you do this by the really intuitive method of:

1) Control Panel - Sound and Audio devices
2) click the "hardware" tab
3) scroll down the list and select "video codecs"
4) click the "properties" button
5) in the "video codec properties" dialog that shows, select the "properties" tab

It won't show you which are "bad", but you can remove codecs from here.

Alan.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 18, 2007 at 1:30:19 pm

Alan,

The displayed codec will be greyed out until you specify an AVI file as output (please read the updated docs). If you're saving an image file, both the AVI codec and WMV preset will be greyed out (think of it as "unhilighted").

I did read the docs, I tried to detail step by step what I did and what I was looking at.

The only thing I can think to try is to use the Registry key that was indicated in that other thread, and instead of setting it to "0", set it to "1". Then try "2", etc.

I have not tried this other than verify that it was set to 0. I am not too comfortable hacking/changing the registry values on my primary system.

I still think the key to all of this is that you have a bad codec that is causing problems. Instead of using Codec Sniper, try just using Windows to list the codecs installed. In XP, you do this by the really intuitive method of:

I had previously searched this location but nothing I could identify as belonging to that program appeared. What I do have:

ASUS ASV2 CODEC
CineForm HD VFW Codec
Fraps Video Decompressor
iccvid.dll
Ind
ir32_32.dll
ir41_32.ax
iyuv_32.dll
Microsoft Windows Media Video 9 VCM
msh261.drv
msh263.drv
msrle32.dll
msvidc32.dll
msyuv.dll
tsbyuv.dll

All are listed as 'enabled and functioning properly'.

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 18, 2007 at 8:53:25 pm

Bob,

Download the following file and run it. You'll get a "command prompt" style window. L-click on the icon at the left corner of the title bar of the window after it runs (before pressing a key to close the window), choose Edit> Select All. Then Edit> Copy. Then paste in an email and send to support at wondertouch dot com.

Alan.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 18, 2007 at 8:57:16 pm

here's the missing link:

http://www.wondertouch.com/downloads/temp/codectest.zip

Alan.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 18, 2007 at 10:42:42 pm

As requested it has been sent. Thank you for your time and sorry about the trouble.

Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]