Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Animated graph?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
leemceAnimated graph?
by on Sep 25, 2006 at 12:46:50 am

Hi,

Are there any tutorials that someone here might know about (or other suggestions) that would shorten my learning curve in creating an animated graph, such as an animated bar graph or perhaps a line graph? I want to create such a graph to layer on top of some other video to shown growth in a market for a client. I have ideas about how to do it but, not being an AE pro, I thought it was to ask for guidance from the gurus.

TIA for any help.

Cheers,

Lee

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RobertsRe: Animated graph?
by on Sep 25, 2006 at 1:17:10 am

If you had $495, you could buy this plugin.

If not, you could do a line graph by creating a new solid, drawing a mask (point by point) with the pen tool, then applying the stroke effect to that solid. By animating the stroke's end point parameter with keyframes, you can make the graph grow.

For a bar graph, you could make a bunch of solids, each to the desired size and color, then you could use the pan behind tool and drag the anchor point to the bottom of each solid, so when you scale their height up or down, they scale from the bottom as you'd expect a bar graph to do.

That's about it -- if you don't understand any of the terms in italics, check the AE help.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

leemceRe: Animated graph?
by on Sep 25, 2006 at 1:35:24 am

Thanks, Steve. Appreciate the help. Hmmmm...don't think this project can afford the $495. But thanks for pointing out the site. I'll go to work the manual way, as you suggested.

Cheers,

Lee

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Steve RobertsRe: Animated graph?
by on Sep 25, 2006 at 2:59:51 am

No problem, Lee. And if you need a pie chart, consider applying the transition>radial wipe effect to a circle-masked solid or two.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

RoRKRe: Animated graph?
by on Sep 25, 2006 at 4:16:12 am

US$495 is too much for a one-trick pony. Chekcout Mylenium's site, he's got at least one AEP on line graphs. I recall seeing a tutorial on pie-charts too but I can't recall where.
In fact, for line graphcs, all you need is the Stroke plugin.

HTH
Roland Kahlenberg
broadcastGEMs
customizable animated backdrops with Adobe After Effects project files

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

leemceRe: Animated graph?
by on Sep 25, 2006 at 3:00:11 pm

Great. I've just been to Mylenium's site and he does, in fact, have a line graph tutorial. I'll be taking a look. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Lee

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jim TierneyRe: Animated graph?
by on Sep 25, 2006 at 7:36:15 pm

It's hardly a one trick pony. There's seven different chart types that handle a wide range of data types, from simple monthly sales figures to multi-dimensional scientific data. That's a lot of different ways to visualize data. If you do a lot of presentation type work where you need to display data, it saves a lot of time and gives you a lot of flexibility.

That said, if you just need the occasional bar chart, yes it's expensive and that's not who the product was designed for. To that end, we're coming out with a lite version of it that will have the basic 2D business charts and some off-shoot plugins aimed at motion graphic artists that just generate animated chart-like elements using random data and/or math functions for backgrounds and whatnot. Should be about $200 and be out around DVExpo (mid-Nov.).

cheers,
Jim

------------------
Jim Tierney
Digital Anarchy
http://www.digitalanarchy.com
415-586-8434

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Colin BraleyRe: Animated graph?
by on Sep 25, 2006 at 4:44:22 am

I would think you dont need the plug in...line graphs are easy enought with render > stroke, pie charts can be done with radial wipe as Steve said above, and I've done bar graphs with expressions before and it isnt too tough.
~Colin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Emannuel RojasRe: Animated graph?
by on Jan 7, 2010 at 1:13:35 am

thanks a lot for the radial wipe tip, it was what i came here looking for.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]