Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Parenting Layer to Null & Adding Expression to Layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Jay MunozParenting Layer to Null & Adding Expression to Layer
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 7:34:13 pm

I've been searching online for answer but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.. maybe someone here can help:

I have 10 (text) layers tied to one NULL object. I keyframed the Null object to move from point A to point B (top to bottom). I'd like to insert an expression, to all the text layers, which would make them arrive to point B at an offset time. Almost cascade-like. Anyone want to take a stab?

Thanks, fellas!
Jay

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Wim BruyninckxRe: Parenting Layer to Null & Adding Expression to Layer
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 8:05:02 pm

Hi,

valueAtTime is something that may be useful for you

i don't think it's necessary to use a parent null layer..
i would just keyframe the position from one layer from point A to B, and then for each of the other layers: add an expression for the position:

thisComp.layer("animated_layer").transform.position.valueAtTime(time-2);

where thisComp.layer("animated_layer").transform.position is the pick-whipped position value of the keyframed layer

valueAtTime(time-2) where 2 is the time offset ... you can change this value of course...

hope it helps

Wim

thisComp.layer("animated_layer").transform.position.valueAtTime(time-2);

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jay MunozRe: Parenting Layer to Null & Adding Expression to Layer
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 8:22:40 pm

Sweet! I'll try that now.. thanks so much!

But just to clear it up.. the reason I don't want to keyframe each layer is because I'm setting it up as a template to use again. I may have to move the position of the text layers here and there for future versions. Any ideas?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Dan FredleyRe: Parenting Layer to Null & Adding Expression to Layer
by on Jun 19, 2012 at 8:28:56 pm

Unparent the null place it at the top then paste this expression on the position of all layers underneath--must be in order in the timeline since this expression uses the relative (index-1)--in other words it pulls info from layer above). This one only reads the y value if that's all you want to affect:

[value[0],thisComp.layer(index-1).transform.position.valueAtTime(time-2)[1]]

Or if you want to have control over both values:

[value[0],value[1] + thisComp.layer(index-1).transform.position.valueAtTime(time-2)[1]]

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Darby EdelenRe: Parenting Layer to Null & Adding Expression to Layer
by on Jun 20, 2012 at 2:31:52 pm

Here's a way to leave the layers parented, just apply this to the position property of the child layers:

offset = 3;
p = toWorld(anchorPoint, time - offset);
parent.fromWorld(p);

You even maintain the ability to keyframe the position of the child layers independently. The offset value is in seconds. If you want it in frames you could add a framesToTime(); function.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]