Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS:HomeForumBasicsExpressionsTutorialsPodcastsAE TechniquesCreative Cloud DebateFAQ

Parenting puppet tool

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects Expressions

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Gordon SpursParenting puppet tool
by on Feb 7, 2009 at 9:09:51 pm

Hi, I'm doing a piece of character animation and i need to parent an eyebrow to a pin from the puppet tool. I've seen some code on the web but can't seem to get it to work. If anyone can explain how to do this simply I would be extremely grateful.

PS. I've tried to parent the position of the eye brow simply by dragging the expression pick whip to the pins position but it seems the co-ordinates are drawn from the layer and not the whole world.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

cowcowcowcowcow
Dan EbbertsRe: Parenting puppet tool
by on Feb 7, 2009 at 9:21:57 pm

Something like this:

L = thisComp.layer("face");
L.toWorld(L.effect("Puppet").arap.mesh("Mesh 1").deform("Puppet Pin 1").position)

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  
+2

Karffe KorRe: Parenting puppet tool
by on May 20, 2011 at 11:05:28 am

Hi, I have a problem with the parent pins of two layers of puppets. I did not work nor the order that you have written. I need to (knee) moving figures in the movement as well - but it can not be achieved :( Thanks for reply!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on May 20, 2011 at 4:40:59 pm

I'm sorry, I don't really understand what you're asking. Your reference to "knee" makes me think that maybe you're after inverse kinematics for puppet pins. In general, the way I would tackle that is to set up a parented hierarchy of nulls, apply the IK expressions to those, and attach the puppet pins to the nulls via expressions.

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Post removed.

Gordon SpursRe: Parenting puppet tool
by on Feb 7, 2009 at 10:12:42 pm

Thats amazing Dan, works great. Could you help me with one more thing? Is there a way to move the pin without effecting the mesh as if you were pulling it out and repositioning it elsewhere?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Feb 7, 2009 at 11:12:14 pm

Not that I know of, but I'm no expert on how Puppet Pins work.

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Matt BurnettRe: Parenting puppet tool
by on Mar 12, 2009 at 10:43:46 pm

Just ran across this thread and wondered if anyone knew an expression to achieve the opposition. . . parenting a puppet pin to a null? Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Mar 13, 2009 at 3:22:25 am

Like this:

N = thisComp.layer("Null 1");
fromWorld(N.toWorld(N.anchorPoint));

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Courtney RiddlesRe: Parenting puppet tool
by on Dec 5, 2009 at 6:51:31 pm

I know this sounds minorly random, but I'm looking for this same sort of parenting technique, since I'm animating multiple compositions with balloons in them. Where do you enter that coding at? I did a quick google search on it, and I didn't find much.

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 5, 2009 at 8:24:34 pm

It depends on what you're trying to do exactly.

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 5, 2009 at 9:45:43 pm

Well I have never seen the coding part of after effects, at all. I didn't realize there was a section where you could add coding (such as this for the parent tool for the puppets.) How do I access the general coding section?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 5, 2009 at 10:13:34 pm

The kind of code we were discussing in this thread are expressions, which you enter by alt/opt+clicking the stopwatch for the property that you want to control. A text-entry area opens in the timeline, and you enter (or paste in) the expression there. An expression can control/animate the property to which it is applied, but nothing else.

The two other types of coding for AE are scripting and plug-ins. Scripts can be developed in a text editor or the ExtendScript Toolkit. Plug-ins would be developed in the IDE appropriate to your platform.

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Dec 5, 2009 at 10:57:15 pm

Wow! Thank you for that! That will come in handy!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Darie AlexandruRe: Parenting puppet tool
by on Oct 7, 2010 at 10:02:18 pm

Hello I am trying to control a puppet pin with a null object, but I am trying to place my null in a comp higher in hierarchy then the one with the puppet pin...Can you please tell me if you example can work in this case... and if it does can you explain a little how they connect... cause I understand the first line but the second line of code I can not.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 7, 2010 at 10:14:30 pm

Yeah, something like this should work unless your comps are different sizes, not centered, etc.

N = comp("name of comp with null").layer("Null 1");
fromWorld(N.toWorld(N.anchorPoint));

Dan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Martin DennisonRe: Parenting puppet tool
by on Mar 1, 2011 at 12:32:35 pm

Hello,

I used the

L = thisComp.layer("face");
L.toWorld(L.effect("Puppet").arap.mesh("Mesh 1").deform("Puppet Pin 1").position)

expression to parent a mouth to a pin on the jaw of a face, which works great, but now the mouths position has changed to being over the nose, and i cant move it back. how can i use expressions to move the mouth back down again?

Thanks in advance,

Martin.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]