Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE COLOR:HomeApple Color TutorialsApple Color ForumApple Color

Color and Mastering for Digital Cinema

COW Forums : Apple Color

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chad TerpstraColor and Mastering for Digital Cinema
by on Apr 14, 2009 at 6:53:37 pm

Color and Mastering for Digital Cinema is a book I'm interested in and was wondering if anyone had any take on it.

I'm looking to learn about the following:

- Color spaces
- Advantages/Disadvantages of DPX workflow with film or Red
- All sorts of workflow topics
- Transcoding for the digital theater and film

Also not expected to be in that book but of interest:

- Noise removal techniques and software
- Sharpening & scaling techniques

I am a sponge ready to absorb all sorts of knowledge!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: Color and Mastering for Digital Cinema
by on Apr 14, 2009 at 7:40:57 pm

I'm going through that book now, excellent book. But I would categorize the book as a color theory book with teaching how these theories are accomplished with several grading apps, Color being one of them.

Take a look here at the table of content and you will get the exact topics covered in the book.
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Technique-Digital-Color-Correction/dp/0240809904/...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Stephan WalfridssonRe: Color and Mastering for Digital Cinema
by on Apr 15, 2009 at 4:52:04 pm

You are talking about two different books...

'Color and Mastering for Digital Cinema' seems to be a very technical book discussing digital cinema technology in the world of digital theatrical distribution/projection systems. It appears to be an interesting read (if you like tech talk) but it doesn't really appear to discuss grading or grading applications such as Apple Color. (The word 'Color' in the title refers to color or colour.)

Stephan

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Michael SacciRe: Color and Mastering for Digital Cinema
by on Apr 15, 2009 at 5:53:47 pm

Wow, how did I confuse those titles! Anyway the Hullfish book is great. Sorry.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chad TerpstraRe: Color and Mastering for Digital Cinema
by on Apr 16, 2009 at 4:28:52 pm

No problem. I was looking into that book also.

The biggest thing I'm looking for is info on color spaces for going to the Christie DLP 2K projectors we have at our local cinemas. When we first converted footage for them everything came out dark and over-saturated. I think it's the 2.6 Gamma and XYZ color space. Anyone have insights on this? Thanks.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jurand W&#281;grzynRe: Color and Mastering for Digital Cinema
by on Apr 16, 2009 at 7:46:31 pm

what program/tools do you need to make a DCDM? from what i've researched it's either a doremi or clipster

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Russell LassonRe: Color and Mastering for Digital Cinema
by on Apr 17, 2009 at 12:13:56 am

I'm using Qube Master Pro from Qube Cinema. They've got great products and support.

http://www.qubecinema.com

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2009 at 6:01:50 am

and what is the price of Qube Master Pro? No one seems to be showing prices any more. I can't even google it.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2009 at 4:06:51 pm

You'll have a hard time finding prices on most digital cinema related stuff. I'm not sure what Qube Master Pro is selling for now days, but if you talk with Hannah Cash at Qube, she can get you the current price (don't be afraid to call, she's very nice). You might mention that I told you to call.

If you are going to invest in a d-cinema solution, I strongly suggest that you also pickup a d-cinema server. After you've created a DCP, the only way to check it is on a server. I own one and it's been a life saver to be able to check DCPs.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 24, 2009 at 8:37:27 pm

Here's what I found http://quvis.com/index.cfm?Action=Products&SubAction=wraptor
a $700 solution. I will test it in the cinema this sunday and see if it's worth it. If it does the trick then I'll be a happy DCI panda. You can buy a server or have a friend at the cinema to test your DCP ;)

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2009 at 12:04:53 am

"Color and Mastering for Digital Cinema" is a good read. I bought it last year and learned a lot from it. I'm just getting started to read it again.

[Chad Terpstra] "When we first converted footage for them everything came out dark and over-saturated. I think it's the 2.6 Gamma and XYZ color space."

You have to address the color differences. Many encoding programs have built-in color space conversions that you can use. How did you encode the DCP that you tested?

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2009 at 12:12:45 am

Here is a basic overview of what is covered in that book:

[Chad Terpstra] "I'm looking to learn about the following:
- Color spaces "

It talk about how DCI came to decide on using the XYZ color space. There's also a lot of math about how to do conversions.

[Chad Terpstra] "- Advantages/Disadvantages of DPX workflow with film or Red
- All sorts of workflow topics "

Talks about how DPX is related to film, but doesn't cover practical workflows you should consider.

[Chad Terpstra] "- Transcoding for the digital theater and film "

Covers the technical requirements of what a compatible DCP is, but again, not a lot of practical knowledge on how you would take a project through the process.

[Chad Terpstra] "- Noise removal techniques and software
- Sharpening & scaling techniques "

Not covered:)

I might suggest looking at my article in the Creative Cow magazine on digital cinema. If you have some more questions, feel free to ask.

http://magazine.creativecow.net/issue/new-visions

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2009 at 5:40:25 pm

Thanks for your comments, Russel. Really appreciated.

Let's back up for a moment. Could you briefly explain what a DCP is and why it is only checkable on a server? Also what is the Qube? I could find no quick explanation of its existence or how it fits into a workflow on the site. But it is shaped like a cube so that's a start... ;-) Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2009 at 6:24:38 pm

[Chad Terpstra] "Could you briefly explain what a DCP is "

A DCP is the Digital Cinema Package. It is a MXF wrapped JPEG2000 image sequence in the XYZ color space. This is what plays on digital cinema compliant servers in theaters.

Qube Master Pro can take any file input (quicktime, avi, DPX, etc) and encode/wrap it as a DCP. It can also internally do all of the color space conversions into XYZ color space. From there, the DCP is transfered to theaters on a hard drive.

Only a digital cinema server can playback a DCP. You can't just open it up in a program on your computer to see if it worked.

[Chad Terpstra] "Also what is the Qube?"

Qube Cinema makes both encoding software and digital cinema servers. The software I use for encoding is Qube Master Pro:

http://www.qubecinema.com/qubemaster.htm

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2009 at 7:09:53 pm

Ah yes. This makes sense. I remember now that we used Wraptor. I wasn't the one who did the encoding. I just gave them an uncompressed 10bit movie export from FCP. Someone in our office compressed it.
http://hdfilmtools.com/2008/09/quvis-wraptor-digital-cinema-mastering-for-t...

I don't remember what options there were within the codec in Compressor but not many from what I saw. Is there a preset I can use with that software to make the appropriate color and gamma conversions or is that a pipe dream and the solution is much more involved than that? Much appreciated.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Apr 17, 2009 at 7:28:22 pm

[Chad Terpstra] "Is there a preset I can use with that software"

I haven't used that software before. They should have something.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy