Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE COLOR:HomeApple Color TutorialsApple Color ForumApple Color

Question for Bob - From SD to HD

COW Forums : Apple Color

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Chris TomberlinQuestion for Bob - From SD to HD
by on Oct 23, 2006 at 6:00:07 pm

Bob,

Since you're the only one from SC that anyone has been able to speak with, I'll address this question to you. I'm in perhaps a unique, and uncomfortable position of having recently purchased the SD version with the intention of upgrading to the HD version when client demand was there. So now, it looks like that in about 2 months, I'll need to grade an HD project, but I have no way to upgrade. One the one hand, I'm happy I didn't spend $5K on what is a large question mark at this point, but on the other hand, I'd love to be able to use some form of FT to grade the HD project coming up. Do you have any suggestions? The budget won't allow outsourcing... Is there any hope that in a couple of months there will be something FT-like that I can use?

Thanks
Chris Tomberlin

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Question for Bob - From SD to HD
by on Oct 23, 2006 at 6:45:34 pm

If a reseller still has a copy of Final Touch HD, I'm pretty sure they can sell it to you. And I believe there are several retailers out there who can still sell it.

ProMax was a reseller and WH Platts here in Atlanta was able to get my copy through another retailer when I got it.

Just don't purchase the Service Contract.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Chris TomberlinRe: Question for Bob - From SD to HD
by on Oct 23, 2006 at 10:50:44 pm

Walter,

That's good to know, though I'm not sure investing another $4K in a product that "kinda works" and is a big unknown right now is a wise decision. I guess that one project could pay for it, but my margin on the job is really small already.

Thanks
Chris

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Question for Bob - From SD to HD
by on Oct 23, 2006 at 11:50:30 pm

[Chris Tomberlin] "That's good to know, though I'm not sure investing another $4K in a product that "kinda works" and is a big unknown right now is a wise decision."

Well I can tell you it works. It doesn't "kinda work" it just works. The SC guys and I went back and forth for over a week with multiple builds and tests and the result was 2.6.2.

We only work in the DVCPro HD format with that series so it had to work or FT wasn't going to be used. It does work.

We're just in a quandry right now because all of our Power PC's are going bye bye and though I've heard 2.6.2 will work just fine under Rosetta, I'm still very hesitant to put the software on the Mac Pro. I'm hopeful we'll hear some official word from Apple on a UB release in the near future.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com
HD Editorial & Animation for Food Network's "Good Eats"
HD Editorial for "Assignment Earth"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

OmarStarRe: Question for Bob - From SD to HD
by on Oct 27, 2006 at 2:38:01 am

I thought there isn't a 2.6.2 version.

The problem I'm having with 2.6.1 is the still store doesn't seem to work properly. Giant luminance shift when comparing two shots. Also, in Seondaries room after enabling a layer, when selecting the preview tab from the scope tab there is a luminance shift. Anyone else having these issues?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob SligaRe: Question for Bob - From SD to HD
by on Oct 27, 2006 at 1:50:09 pm

Omar,
Your back... I thought you sold all your FT stuff. Good to hear your still in the game.
The still store is a known bug and has been fixed but not released yet.

I've never seen a luminaces shift in the secondary rooms when enabling.
Are you talking about when you select the prieviw tab?
Using the mode to set up a key or a vignette, then return to the scope mode without any color correction you see a luminace shift?
No I have not seen any shifts.
Am I describing correctly what you are seeing?
Bob

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2006 at 3:12:46 pm

Hey Bob -

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. :-) I'm using a different model.

Yes, sounds like you're describing it correctly. I'll probably call you.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Oct 27, 2006 at 3:19:17 pm

Bob

Let me explain this hopefully a easier way. Go to the Secondaries room. Click between the Scopes tab and the Previews tab back and forth. That's where I get the luminance shift. Maybe I've got some User Prefs setting snaffu going on.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Bob SligaRe: Question for Bob - From SD to HD
by on Oct 23, 2006 at 11:21:01 pm

I heard today that FT will be available until the 12th through the dealers.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vahe DouglasPlayback Through Kona?
by on Oct 24, 2006 at 1:49:41 am

I just got started on Final Touch and am loving it, but cannot get playback through my konaLh card, Is there a tiney little toggle switch somewhere that will activate playback through the Kona card? or am i just missing the whol plot? cheers to anyone who can offer this beginner a suggesstion.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

FlohRe: Playback Through Kona?
by on Oct 24, 2006 at 8:33:44 am

Set Up Room->User Prefs->Video Output. Select whatever hardware you have there.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

DeadheadRe: Playback Through Kona?
by on Oct 24, 2006 at 5:40:03 pm

Walter-

Though FT will work on Rosetta, it can't see the Kona card. Aja has confirmed this.

That is why we need a UB version.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Vahe DouglasRe: Playback Through Kona?
by on Oct 24, 2006 at 10:59:57 pm

a UB version? no playback through kona? I heard FT was built for playback through the kona card?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]