Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE COLOR:HomeApple Color TutorialsApple Color ForumApple Color

FCP won't connect to renders

COW Forums : Apple Color

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
michael stirlingFCP won't connect to renders
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 11:52:08 am

Hi

I'm working at a clients place on Color and can't get FCP to see the graded material.

Here is what I've done so far...

To Color...

send from FCP, graded and this next bit is where things might have gone wrong;

Just before rendering Color crashed, the project won't reopen so I went into the project in finder opened the container and found the last autosave from 20 minutes earlier, opened this and re-finished the grade then rendered.

The next morning the project was sent to FCP (by someone else) - FCP only sees the rushes.

I'm now back in and have tried this so far:
render a few clips to somewhere new - send to Color - FCP only sees the rushes
export xml - FCP only sees the rushes
edit timeline in Color to make it 20 shots long rather than 500+ -render in Color -export xml - FCP sees whole cut with just the rushes.

The only thing I haven't tried is re-rendering the whole project as the time it will take to test that theory is a costly long shot time-wise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: FCP won't connect to renders
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 5:05:45 pm

Appears as though the exported XML (and editing a project in COLOR is NOT recommended) is not seeing the change in Target Render directory path.

A very common operator error is to load the Render Queue and then change the Project Settings render directory. COLOR creates the render directory immediately when the Render Queue is loaded... so if it was still looking at your default directory... that is where the new media went. But when the export XML is modified, COLOR will observe the change and create that path -- usually this results in a black sequence, but FCP appears to be trying to re-link to something, anything, and the original footage sounds like 'close enough', as your rendered footage all have new clip names and won't be found with a 'Search' under reconnect.

To fix this... might be as simple as moving the rendered material from the default directory (if its there) to the originally intended project-defined render directory.

Not the first time this has come up.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

michael stirlingRe: FCP won't connect to renders
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 8:20:38 am

Thanks,

I hadn't changed the render target or edited the project in Color (I know that's bad) until way into the troubleshooting so unfortunately they aren't at fault here. I still 'feel' (because computers run on feelings, right?) it was something to do with the crash that causing the disconnect.

As the client is watching the clock and the money tick up I had to come down on the solution of a regrade because if he is paying me again I'd prefer it be for grading not head scratching. I've moved the project to my Resolve suite and as they are my last client that still uses Color I guess this is a solution of kinds at least for me.

M

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mathieu MaranoRe: FCP won't connect to renders
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 8:11:58 pm

I have the exact same problem. I have an FCP project. I sent the timeline to Color.Once graded I render I use the "Send to FCP" in Color. Once the sequence is in FCP it links to the original media, not the graded rendered version. THe renders are in the right render folder and haven't move.

Any clue?

Mathieu Marano
offline/online editor - motion graphics - Post-prod director - DaVinci Resolve operator
http://www.ilovehue.net

Administrator of the Montreal Final Cut User Group
http://www.finalcutmtl.org

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Marcus Samuel-GaskinRe: FCP won't connect to renders
by on Aug 15, 2012 at 1:11:54 pm

Have you tried re-sending the graded version? If the project is short, you could in FCP manually reconnect media to the rendered media.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Mathieu MaranoRe: FCP won't connect to renders
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 4:01:01 pm

Nah. I have 734 clips. It just did the same thing on another project. Other Mac, other medias.

Mathieu Marano
offline/online editor - motion graphics - Post-prod director - DaVinci Resolve operator
http://www.ilovehue.net

Administrator of the Montreal Final Cut User Group
http://www.finalcutmtl.org

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]