Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE COLOR:HomeApple Color TutorialsApple Color ForumApple Color

premier pro to color red workflow problems

COW Forums : Apple Color

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
chris larsenpremier pro to color red workflow problems
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 2:32:52 am

I have exported an FCP xml from premier pro and imported the xml file using final cut. The goal is to send everything from final cut to color where I can grade the raw image then send it back to final cut, and once again back to premier pro where it will be reconnected with the sound mix (which is not finished)

I have 2 problems with the xml import in final cut pro

1) The sequence is bland. There is only 1 sequence in premier and the sequence name matches that of my FCP sequence, but it is completely blank. No audio no picture.

2) All the R3d files are offline. I could do a batch capture in native format via log and transfer if there was a sequence.

Is there a step I'm missing?

in the xml import I changed the sequence setting to red code using pro res (as per the setting in the whitepaper).

Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: premier pro to color red workflow problems
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 12:19:45 am

Taking a wild stab at a workflow I likely wouldn't consider.

RED RAW is incompatible with Final Cut Pro. I know, there's lots of advertising, but it doesn't. RED is always edited in FCP by some form of proxy, QT wrapper or direct transcode to a supported Quicktime codec, usually ProRes of some description.

A batch transfer/recapture will not work, since the original media pointers were not created under FCP in Log&Transfer -- that's another gotcha that Apple kinda mumbles around.

At this point, the XML you created under Premiere might be compatible with COLOR directly... its worth a try, after all that's what you're doing with a "Send To...." from FCP, and there's an even better chance the whole thing would work under Blackmagic Resolve.

Both Resolve and COLOR support RED RAW (COLOR with plugin), but Resolve's implementation also will accommodate some resolutions that COLOR will not, ie 3K and I would be nervous if there was any 4.5K mixed on the sequence. If the sequence is not uniform there will be other issues, anyway.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

chris larsenRe: premier pro to color red workflow problems
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 12:58:20 am

Thanks for the response Joseph!

Importing the xml into color didn't work. t didn't want to deal with this workflow to begin with but the editor took the easy way out by work in premier with redraw instead of taking the time to create proxies in fcp, KNOWING I WAS GOING TO GRADE IN COLOR!!!! fortunately the short is about 30 clips long and should be pretty easy to re-create with edit points and timecode. I would use resolve if I owned it but we want to finish in 4k for whatever ridiculous reason.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]