Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE COLOR:HomeApple Color TutorialsApple Color ForumApple Color

Major Studio Films/Shows using color?

COW Forums : Apple Color

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook
Beau LelandMajor Studio Films/Shows using color?
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 3:22:23 pm

Hi there,

Does anyone know of any major studio films or shows that are or have been actively using Color? You'd think this would be a simple thing to look up, but I'm in a conversation with a DP trying to back up my claim that Color is a perfectly reasonable choice and I can't find anything. I think having a list of big names or agencies could help convince him.

Thanks!

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Shane RossRe: Major Studio Films/Shows using color?
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 4:38:54 pm

Why does it have to be MAJOR? "Project Runway" uses Color. I graded a few History Channel shows, a slew of Discovery Channel shows and a couple National Geographic shows with Color.

Basically, if the project was edited with FCP, Color was more likely the way it was color corrected. Because Color only works with FCP. Most of the major films and shows are cut with Avid...and Avid media doesn't work in Color...there is no round trip for it. So most places use DaVinci or DaVinci Resolve. But Color is perfectly suitable.

A lot of people don't like using apps when they aren't used to them...or haven't heard of them used in "Major" things. You can show him what you can do with Color. I did that once to gain someones trust.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Beau LelandRe: Major Studio Films/Shows using color?
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 4:59:11 pm

Thank you, Shane. I agree completely on letting the work show for itself, but unfortunately there are always going to be the people who go with something just because they have a preconceived notion about it. Buzz tends to be a powerful persuasive tool.

BTW, I think those credits are all pretty legit. It'll build the case.

I read earlier that the Coen Brothers used it as kind of a PR move for apple a while back for "No Country for Old Men." I guess I was just hoping to find some of those "PR" type cases like that, ya know what I mean?

Thanks again, Shane.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Major Studio Films/Shows using color?
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 5:35:13 pm

I delivered about 50 episodes of "Good Eats" to Food Network with Color.

Our current PBS series is all being done in Color for the moment. Will switch to Resolve for next season.

We've delivered programming to NBC and CNN all run through Color.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Ben WattsRe: Major Studio Films/Shows using color?
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 6:52:08 pm

As far as "major" films go, I believe "O Brother, Where Art Thou" was one of the first features to employ Color--if not the first, then the first one that really publicized using the software. Pretty sure the Coens have used it on every other film they've done since (since they do all the editing, grading themselves).

Here's the promotional piece about the Coens and FCP, Color, etc.

Ben
Final Frame Post

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jason BoucherRe: Major Studio Films/Shows using color?
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 7:22:15 pm

I am coloring Season 2 of Cafe Racer for Discovery right now. I've delivered a feature to Sundance, shows to ESPN and NBC. I too will be shifting to Resolve, but I plan to use Color as long as it continues to work for me.

Good luck!

greydogcreative.com

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Joseph OwensRe: Major Studio Films/Shows using color?
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 4:01:34 pm

[Ben Watts] "As far as "major" films go, I believe "O Brother, Where Art Thou" was one of the first features to employ Color--if not the first, then the first one that really publicized using the software"

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong wrong.

"O Brother..." was released December 22, 2000. It was.... the first film to be wholly digitally graded. The negative was scanned with a Spirit DataCine at 2K resolution, then colors were digitally fine-tuned using a Pandora MegaDef color corrector on a Virtual DataCineā€Ž, by Julius Friede.

You might get a kick out of this... http://www.ctmsolutions.com/download/digitalcinematography/siliconcolorfina...
Silicon Color's brochure for Final Touch when it was still based on the SGI platform when it was released in 2005.

Any discrepancies there? Claims that the Coens use Apple COLOR for anything but previews are a bit... errr... misleading. Sorry. Its true, they use FCP (at least up to version 7) extensively. But I don't think they do the grade or the soundmix themselves.

Since going ronin 6 years ago, I've utilized COLOR/FT on about a dozen indie features, several docs for Discovery, NatGeo, History, and so on, a dramatic series now going into Season Two (but we're switching to RESOLVE as it is predominantly an AVID-flow project), third season of a comedy series (sticking with COLOR for that one), a Gemini-winning social documentary we all were particularly happy with, commercials, music videos etc., etc.

The only bad cachet that Final Touch/COLOR got tarred with, IMHO, was becoming property of Apple. If the component between the control panel and the chair is any good at all, a viewer should seriously not be able to tell what grading system was in play, and that is how it should be.

So, tell me then why should some "buzz" oriented person have this kind of influence? Are they one of those "whining" elite professionals that would, for example, hate FCX for some reason? This is perhaps rhetorical.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 26, 2011 at 8:14:48 pm

Sorry, Joseph, I stand corrected. I guess I should have checked the facts before believing Apple's promotional piece; but you're right, it is incredibly misleading, especially when you have the brothers fiddling around in Color like they're actually working.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

walter biscardiRe: Major Studio Films/Shows using color?
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 9:13:56 pm

[Ben Watts] " but you're right, it is incredibly misleading, especially when you have the brothers fiddling around in Color like they're actually working."

You mean like the April SuperMeet in Las Vegas when Apple said "Here's a Final Cut Pro 7 timeline..... and here's what it looks like in Final Cut Pro 10!"

Which would lead a normal person to believe they simply opened the FCP 7 project in FCP X, now wouldn't it? :)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

kim krauseRe: Major Studio Films/Shows using color?
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 8:15:38 pm

i have done a ton of international jobs for discovery and nat geo using color. also have finished over 5 features editted in fcp and graded in color just last year. and in the last 3 years i have graded over 5 television series using color and numerous musical specials. only a few commercials but that is by choice as i try to avoid anything that has to do with agencies. i have even re-grades jobs that were done originally on a davinci...it all comes down to the operator in most cases. unfortunately it would seem my days with color are coming to an end. sadly davinci has made it even easier for me to jump ship and the name brand that comes with it has alot to do with the "perceived" status of the jobs you do. i will probably be switching over sometime in september but i already am saddened by the fact that i will be saying goodbye to color. it has been a good and faithful ally for many years....

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Beau LelandRe: Major Studio Films/Shows using color?
by on Jul 25, 2011 at 11:15:36 pm

Thank you all for so much feedback. I really appreciate it! You've helped my case immensely already.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

Jamal WattsRe: Major Studio Films/Shows using color?
by on Jul 26, 2011 at 6:33:07 pm

Wasn't some of the episodes of Everybody Hates Chris grade on Color too?

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

by on Jul 26, 2011 at 8:27:19 pm

We've done dozens of episodes for National Geographic, Discovery, and Animal Planet with Color and FCP. Now we're doing everything in Film Master, but the essentials are the same--besides some shortcuts and time-saving options (not to mention grain and dust removal, but now we're getting complicated), it really boils down to who's using the software. Hand someone the best, most expensive software possible for color correction, but if they don't have the eye for it, it doesn't make a heap of difference.

Return to posts index
Reply   Like  

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Share on Facebook

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]